|Studio album by|
|Released||November 24, 1999|
|Recorded||March – November 1999|
Bravo Recording Studios (Quezon City, Philippines)
Jam Creations (Pasay, Philippines)
|Genre||Pop, adult contemporary|
|Producer||Vic Del Rosario Jr. (executive)|
Regine Velasquez (executive)
Rene Salta (supervising)
Patty Mayoralgo (associate)
|Regine Velasquez chronology|
|Singles from R2K|
R2K is the tenth studio album by Filipino singer-actress Regine Velasquez, released on November 24, 1999 by Viva Records in the Philippines in CD and cassette format and later as a digital download. The album is Velasquez' second from Viva Music Corporation after Drawn. It consists various covers of the past millennium's contemporary hits from the 1980s such as Jeffrey Osborne's "On the Wings of Love" to the 1990s such as Aerosmith's "I Don't Want to Miss a Thing". The album was produced by Velasquez and certified platinum in two weeks after its release with 40,000 units sold. It was certified 12x platinum by the Philippine Association of the Record Industry (PARI) but was never awarded by VIVA Records. R2K is Velasquez's most successful album both commercially and critically. It is the best-selling album by a female artist in Philippine history and stayed in record charts for a year.
R2K is Velasquez' third all-covers album after Tagala Talaga and Retro. She also featured actor Gabby Eigenmann and MTV Pilipinas VJ KC Montero to do a rap adlib for her song "For the Love of You". It also marked the first time a Philippine artist released an album with a VCD. The VCD contains six music videos done by Velasquez with director Louie Ignacio including "One Love" which features actors Antoinette Taus and Dingdong Dantes. It is also the first time in the Philippines that a limited edition 48-page colored magazine was released together with the album.
R2K: The Concert
After releasing the album, Velasquez staged the R2K: The Concert, her most notable concert series held at the Araneta Coliseum for two consecutive sold-out days on April 7–8, 2000 and produced by Viva Concerts & Events. The concert was personally directed and conceptualized by Velasquez herself. It paraded stunningly exquisite costumes, intricate stage design and pyrotechnics. The two-night sold out concert caused a big traffic jam along EDSA. The most notable performance of the show is when she sang "On the Wings of Love" while hanging on a harness in mid-air and 'flying' above the audience. Her special guests included Janno Gibbs, Ogie Alcasid, Jaya, KC Montero and Gabby Eigenmann. The concert won Best Major Concert Act (Female Category) at the 2001 Aliw Awards. It was also praised as "The best show in Asia in the last 25 years" by a foreign magazine.
R2K concert personnel
- Regine Velasquez – vocalist
- Kyle Tentano – guitars
- Noel Mendez – guitars
- DJ Uy – electric bass
- Joel Manda – synthesizer
- George San Jose – drums
- Alex Caruso – percussion
- The Filipino Film Orchestra – additional instrumentation
- Nathaniel San Jose – conductor
- Sarah Pauzano – concert master
* "Love Songs Medley" is not included in the cassette format of the album.
- AllMusic.com (November 24, 1999). "R2K album review". All Music. Retrieved July 8, 2011.
- "R2K album rating". ArtistDirect.com. November 24, 1999. Retrieved July 8, 2011.
- "TitikPilipino:R2K (album)". Titik Pilipino. November 24, 1999. Retrieved August 26, 2011.
- "CMT:R2K (album)". CMT.com. November 24, 1999. Retrieved August 3, 2011.
- "Amazon:R2K (digital download)". Amazon.com. November 28, 1999. Retrieved November 28, 1999. Check date values in:
- Gonzales, David (November 24, 1999). "R2K (VCD album)". All Media Guide 2011. Retrieved August 24, 2011.
- Showbiz (December 24, 2000). "The girl with the Platinum touch". Pilipino Star Ngayon. Retrieved December 24, 2000. Check date values in:
- Ricky Lo (October 29, 2001). "Funfare:Gabby, Ready, get set!". Philippine Star. Retrieved October 29, 2001.
-  Accessed June 8, 2011
- Showbiz (October 29, 2000). "Regine kasama sa engrandeng concert ng 2 foreign balledeers". Pilipino Star Ngayon. Retrieved October 29, 2000. Check date values in:
- Entertainment Section (October 11, 2000). "Robin and Regine: A story of 2 winners". Philippine Star. Retrieved October 11, 2000. Check date values in:
- "album producer". Starbacks Canada. June 8, 2011. Retrieved June 8, 2011.
- "R2K album tracklisting". Last FM. June 8, 2011. Retrieved June 8, 2011.