|Publisher||Hand to Mouth Publishing Limited|
The original Rock’n’Reel was a pocket-sized fanzine of modest ambitions. Since its relaunch in 2007 as an A4 format, full-colour glossy magazine, the magazine has greatly extended its scope and readership. R2’s coverage of the music scene now encompasses both classic and contemporary rock plus established and emerging talents from the worlds of roots, blues, folk, Americana, singer-songwriter and world music.
R2 claims that its uniqueness lies in truly reflecting the enthusiasms of its writers and readers on the page. Independent contributors, all freelancers, aim to offer an informed, intelligent and unbiased view of the UK and international music scenes, and the magazine prides itself on being neither ‘a fickle follower of musical fashion nor a mere major-label mouthpiece.’
A typical issue contains new CD and DVD release details, artist updates and festival news, alongside an extensive review section, articles and interview features. Regular items include ‘First Takes’ (a round-up of new bands and singer-songwriters), ‘It Started With A Disc’ (R2 writers on how their love of music began), 'Inside Job' (industry feedback), 'Venues We Love' and 'View From The Web'.
Each issue of R2 also includes an exclusive jewel-cased cover-mounted CD featuring a selection of tracks, mostly by emerging artists. Marketed as offering an alternative to what is available elsewhere from the ‘common herd’, these discs carry the series title UN-HERD.
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 2008-03-05. Retrieved 2010-02-20.CS1 maint: archived copy as title (link)
- "Rock'n'Reel Magazine". Myspace.com. Retrieved 29 August 2016.
- "Reviews — John Alexander". Johnalexander.info. Retrieved 29 August 2016.
- "Tori Amos | Legacy Recordings". Toriamosmusic.com. Retrieved 29 August 2016.
- "Rock'n'Reel 2007 - Dick Gaughan's Reviews Archive". Dickgaughan.co.uk. Retrieved 29 August 2016.