Gate to RAAF Scherger
|IATA: none – ICAO: YBSG|
|Elevation AMSL||145 ft / 44 m|
RAAF Base Scherger (IATA: YBSG) is the newest of the Royal Australian Air Force's three 'bare bases', completing a chain of bases across Australia’s 'top end'. Located 26 km (16 mi) east of Weipa on the western side of Cape York Peninsula in Queensland, it was constructed by troops drawn mainly from the 17th Construction Squadron, in what is believed to have been the biggest project undertaken by the Royal Australian Engineers at the time. It was opened on 5 August 1998 by the Prime Minister, John Howard.
As a 'bare base' Scherger's role is to provide the RAAF and other services with the necessary infrastructure to support forward deployed forces during a crisis. The base is named in honour of Air Chief Marshal Sir Frederick Scherger who was the Australian Chief of the Air Staff (now known as Chief of Air Force) from March 1957 to May 1961 and the equivalent of what is now Chief of the Defence Force from 1961 to 1966.
While the base has facilities to cater for 400 personnel in fixed accommodation, 1,000 personnel in tent lines and about 40 aircraft, it is normally only manned by four Air Force personnel who are responsible for caretaker duties. During peacetime RAAF Base Scherger hosts, on average, one major exercise per year in which the base is fully activated through the arrival of RAAF units based elsewhere in Australia.
Scherger Immigration Detention Centre
- PDF). AIP En Route Supplement from Airservices Australia, effective 3 March 2016 (
- "Prime Minister Opens RAAF Base Scherger". Sapper News: The Royal Australian Engineers Newsletter 8 (2): 1–3. August 1998.
- Ireland, Judith (14 January 2014). "Scott Morrison announces closure of four immigration detention centres". Sydney Morning Herald. AAP. Retrieved 30 July 2015.
- Joint Standing Committee on Foreign Affairs, Defence and Trade Report of Visit to Defence Establishments in Northern Australia
- Exercise Kakadu VII
- Air Force News: "Going Active"
- RAAF Base Scherger opened near Weipa
- Scherger Immigration Detention Centre