|Part of United States Air Forces in Europe - Air Forces Africa (USAFE-AFAFRICA)|
|Near Huntingdon, Cambridgeshire in England|
Front entrance of RAF Alconbury
|Type||Royal Air Force station|
|Owner||Ministry of Defence|
|Operator||Royal Air Force (1939–1942)|
United States Army Air Forces (1942–1945)
United States Air Force (1951–present)
|Controlled by||RAF Bomber Command (1939–1942)|
Eighth Air Force (1942–1945)
RAF Maintenance Command (1945–1953)
United States Air Forces in Europe (1953–Present)
|In use||1939–1945, 1951–present|
|Battles/wars||Second World War
501st Combat Support Wing
423d Air Base Group
|Elevation||46 metres (151 ft) AMSL|
Royal Air Force Alconbury or more simply RAF Alconbury is an active Royal Air Force station in Huntingdon, England. The airfield is in the civil parish of The Stukeleys, close to the villages of Great Stukeley, Little Stukeley, and Alconbury.
Opened for in 1938 for use by Bomber Command the station has been used from 1942 by the United States Army Air Force and then the United States Air Force.
Royal Air Force Squadrons
- 15 Squadron from 15 April 1940 to 15 May 1940 operating the Bristol Blenheim IV - temporary move from RAF Wyton.
- 40 Squadron from 2 February 1941 to 31 October 1941 operating the Vickers Wellington IC - moved to RAF Luqa, Malta.
- 52 Squadron detachments from RAF Upwood during 1939 with the Fairey Battle and Avro Anson.
- 156 Squadron formed at Alconbury on 14 February 1942 from elements of 40 Squadron with the Vickers Wellington, moved to RAF Warboys in August 1942.
Units based at RAF Alconbury.
United States Air Force
United States Air Forces in Europe - Air Forces Africa (USAFE-AFAFRICA)
- 501st Combat Support Wing
- Headquarters 501st Combat Support Wing
- 423rd Air Base Group
- 423rd Civil Engineer Squadron
- 423rd Communications Squadron
- 423rd Force Support Squadron
- 423rd Medical Squadron
- 423rd Security Forces Squadron
It was announced by the Pentagon on 8 January 2015 that RAF Alconbury and RAF Molesworth would be closing by 2020. Most of the units at Alconbury and Molesworth will be moved to RAF Croughton, along with the personnel.
- Jefford 1993, p. 153
- "Units". 501st Combat Support Wing. Retrieved 13 February 2019.
- "RAF Mildenhall to close amid other Europe consolidations". Stars and Stripes.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to RAF Alconbury.|