RCS & RDS
|This article needs additional citations for verification. (February 2016) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
Number of locations
|308 (in Romania as February 2016)|
|Products||Telephone, Internet, Wireless, Television|
|Revenue||€476 million (2013)|
Number of employees
RCS & RDS (formerly Romanian Cable System & Romanian Data System) is one of the biggest telecommunication operators in South-Eastern Europe and the largest cable and satellite television company in Romania. It offers cable television, cable internet, VOIP, 3G services and since 2004 satellite television (Digi TV).
It provides services in Romania, Spain, Hungary, Italy.
- Zoltán Teszári – 58.92%
- Sfetozar Bugarszki – 7.23%
- Nicusor Dorel Schelean – 6.98%
- Mihai Patap – 5.31%
- Maria Docea – 4.56%
- Ioan Bendei – 4.51%
- Gheorghe Maftei – 4.51%
- Dorina Schelean – 3.02%
- Cable Communications Systems NV – 2.47%
- Traian Aurelian Sirian – 2.18%.
The company, which is based in Bucharest, Romania, was formed in April 2005 by the de jure merger of Romania Cable Systems (RCS) and Romania Data Systems (RDS). The companies were under the same ownership from the very beginning and operating de facto as a single unit long before that.
As of 2007, the company has:
- 2.6 million customers for the satellite television service DigiTV.Satelit.
- 1.6 million customers for the cable TV service DigiTV.Cablu.
- 1.5 million for the landline phone system service Digi.Tel.
- 2.0 million for the mobile phone service Digi.Mobil.
- 1.1 million for its broadband Internet service Digi.Net.
In 2014 the company controlled the fourth largest mobile operator in Romania, and succeeded in winning a mobile operator licence in Hungary (to be deployed by 2016).
- Digi.Net: Residential or Business broadband connection on cable, FTTB or FTTH infrastructure.
- Digi.Net Mobil: 3G mobile internet service available in Romania.
- Digi.Tel: Residential or business VOIP on cable, FTTB or FTTH infrastructure.
- Digi.Tv: Satellite television and Cable television.
- Digi.Mobil: 3G mobile telephony and mobile internet operating on 2100 MHz and 900 MHz and 4G mobile internet operating on TDD 2600 MHz band 38.
- Digi Move: 3G mobile internet service available in Hungary.
RCS&RDS Digital TV Channels
Beside the base package, it offers additional subscriptions.
RCS&RDS Digi.Mobil in Romania
The following is a list of known frequencies which Digi.Mobil employs in Romania:
|226||05||900 MHz||8||UMTS/HSPA/HSPA+(21.6 Mbit/s/5.76 Mbit/s)||3G||RCS&RDS started using this frequency band from 6 April 2014 for better indoor coverage.|
|226||05||2100 MHz||1||UMTS/HSPA/HSPA+(21.6 Mbit/s/5.76 Mbit/s)||3G|
|226||05||2100 MHz||1||LTE (37.5 Mbit/s)||4G||FDD-LTE network launched on 6 October 2016|
|226||05||2600 MHz||38||LTE-TDD (112 Mbit/s)||4G||TDD-LTE network launched on 1 October 2015|
RCS&RDS Digi.Mobil in Hungary
|216||03||1800 MHz||3||LTE (50 Mbit/s)||4G||Deployment in progress.|
|This section does not cite any sources. (February 2016) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
- RCS & RDS is Romania's largest adopter of Fiber to the building (FTTB) and Fiber to the home (FTTH).
- RCS & RDS also operates two mobile virtual networks over Movistar in Spain and 3 in Italy for the Romanians living in these countries.
- In February 2011 RCS & RDS launched mobile internet service in Hungary under the Digi Move brand. This service is run over Telenor Hungary's infrastructure.
- "RCS & RDS numeşte un vicepreşedinte de la una din companiile pe care le-a preluat" (in Romanian). money.ro. November 19, 2009.
- "Despre RCS&RDS" (in Romanian). RCS & RDS.
- Adevărata faţă a conducerii RCS-RDS
- Company financial report for 2007
- http://www.tvchannellists.com/List_of_Channels_on_RCS%26RDS List of Channels on RCS & RDS
- "ITU Operational Bulletin No. 1109". ITU. 1 October 2016. Retrieved 5 October 2016.