|Country of origin||Ukraine|
|Designer||Yuzhnoye Design Bureau|
|Propellant||LOX / RG-1|
|Thrust (vac.)||1,340 kN (300,000 lbf)|
|Thrust (SL)||1,198 kN (269,000 lbf)|
|Chamber pressure||18 MPa (2,600 psi)|
|Isp (vac.)||336 s (3.30 km/s)|
|Isp (SL)||300.7 s (2.949 km/s)|
|Burn time||200 s|
|Dry weight||1,630 kg (3,590 lb)|
The RD-801 (Russian: РД-801) is a Ukrainian liquid propellant rocket engine burning LOX and Kerosene (RG-1) in a staged combustion cycle. It has a single combustion chamber that provides thrust vector control by gimbaling of the nozzle in two axis by +/- 6°. It is being designed in Ukraine by Yuzhnoye Design Bureau for the prospective first stage propulsion of the Mayak rocket family.
The RD-801 as well as the RD-810 are being designed based on the work of the RD-8 vernier and the maintenance and improvement of the RD-120 engines. The RD-801 can be used stand alone on a Mayak or in a cluster.
The designers have proposed three versions of this engine:
- RD-801 (version 0) (Russian: РД-801 (версия 0)): This is the basic module with no TVC.
- RD-801 (version 01) (Russian: РД-801 (версия 01)): This is a version which includes a TVC by gimbaling of the nozzle in two axis by +/- 6°.
- RD-801V (Russian: РД-801В): High altitude of the rocket engine with extended nozzle.
- Mayak – Prospective Ukrainian launch vehicle family for which the RD-801 is being developed.
- RD-8 – The Zenit second stage vernier engine which was the technological base for the RD-801.
- RD-120 – The Zenit second stage main engine which was the technological base for the RD-801
- RD-810 – A higher thrust engine of the same family.
- Yuzhnoe Design Bureau – The RD-810 designer bureau.
- Yuzhmash – A multi-product machine-building company that's closely related to Yuzhnoe and would manufacture the RD-RD-801.
- YF-100 – A Chinese rocket engine of similar specifications based on RD-801 design.
- Brügge, Norbert (2016-07-11). "Ukrainian space-rocket and missile liquid-propellant engines". B14643.de. Retrieved 2015-08-06.
- Degtyarev, A . V.; Shulga, V . A.; Zhivotov, A . I.; Dibrivny, A . V. (2013). "СОЗДАНИЕ СЕМЕЙСТВА КИСЛОРОДНО-КЕРОСИНОВЫХ ЖИДКОСТНЫХ РАКЕТНЫХ ДВИГАТЕЛЕЙ НА БАЗЕ ОТРАБОТАННЫХ ТЕХНОЛОГИЙ ДЛЯ ПЕРСПЕКТИВНЫХ РАКЕТ-НОСИТЕЛЕЙ ГП "КБ «ЮЖНОЕ"" [THE DEVELOPMENT OF LOX - KEROSENE L IQUID ROCKET ENGINES FAMILY FOR PERSPECTIVE LAUNCH VEHICLES OF YUZHNOYE SDO BASED ON PROVEN TECHNOLOGIES] (PDF). АВИАЦИОННО - КОСМИЧЕСКАЯ ТЕХНИКА И ТЕХНОЛОГИЯ (in Russian). National Aerospace university them. NE Zhukovsky. 2013 nr. 01 (98): 44–50. ISSN 1727-7337. Retrieved 2016-07-11.
- "RD-801". Defense Industry Of Ukraine Products And Services. Retrieved 2016-07-11.
- "RD-801". Yuzhnoye. Retrieved 2016-07-11.