Red Data Girl
|Red Data Girl|
Cover of the first novel volume
(RDG Reddo Dēta Gāru)
|Written by||Noriko Ogiwara|
|Illustrated by||Komako Sakai (original)
Mel Kishida (Sneaker Bunko re-edition)
|Published by||Kadokawa Shoten|
|Original run||July 4, 2008 – November 29, 2012|
|Written by||Noriko Ogiwara|
|Illustrated by||Ranmaru Kotone|
|Published by||Kadokawa Shoten|
|Original run||December 2012 – July 2014|
|Anime television series|
|Directed by||Toshiya Shinohara|
|Written by||Michiko Yokote|
|Music by||Masumi Ito
|Original network||Tokyo MX, KNB, SUN-TV, TVQ, CTC, BS11, TVS, tvk|
|Original run||March 16, 2013 – June 1, 2013|
Red Data Girl (RDG レッドデータガール? Ārudījī Reddo Dēta Gāru) is a series of fantasy novels written by Noriko Ogiwara. Six volumes have been released. The first volume was published by Kadokawa Shoten in 2008, while the last was published in 2012. This manga series adaptation, illustrated by Ranmaru Kotone and published by Kadokawa Shoten, was serialized between December 2012 and July 2014. A 12-episode anime television series adaptation by P.A.Works aired between April and June 2013. The full anime series became available for streaming on Netflix (US) on August 1, 2015.
The story revolves around Izumiko Suzuhara, a 15-year-old girl who was raised at Tamakura Shrine, which is a part of the Kumano Shrines World Heritage Site. When she first developed her powers she used to destroy any electrical device that she came into contact with, but then she learns to control it later on. Despite being shy, she wants to try living in the city. Her guardian Yukimasa Sagara recommends that she enroll at Hōjō High School in Tokyo accompanied by his son, Miyuki Sagara. Miyuki has trained to become a yamabushi from a young age. While in Tokyo on a middle school field trip, an entity named "Himegami" appears. Izumiko learns that she is a yorishiro (or, more properly, a yorimashi, as she is a possessed person, not object), a vessel for a Shinto spirit known as a kami. She also learns that Miyuki is tasked with protecting her.
- Izumiko Suzuhara (鈴原 泉水子? Suzuhara Izumiko)
- Voiced by: Saori Hayami (Japanese); Bryn Apprill (English)
- Izumiko is described by Miyuki as a dull-looking girl with twin braids. Before beginning her first year of high school in Tokyo she wore red-rimmed glasses that were given to her by her mother. At the beginning of the series she is very timid and shy, and doesn't like to share her desires or opinions with others. However, as the series progresses she begins to change and becomes more confident. One trait that shocks most people that meet her is that she has lived a few years of her life without using electronics, because they used to break whenever she tried to. It is revealed in episode 2 that Izumiko is destined to serve as the vessel for a powerful ancient goddess Himegami (姫神?, Voiced by: Rie Tanaka (Japanese); Caitlin Glass (English)) and will most likely be her final vessel. Later in the season, it is revealed that her mother gave her the glasses to block her vision, because she "sees too much". Without them she can identify spirit agents, ghosts, and gods; though they appear to her as frightening creatures covered in a black aura.
- Miyuki Sagara (相楽 深行? Sagara Miyuki)
- Voiced by: Kōki Uchiyama (Japanese); Micah Solusod (English)
- Miyuki is the son of Yukimasa and also a monk in training. When he is first introduced he is very cruel to Izumiko and said that he couldn't believe a goddess was in such a dull girl like her. However, after seeing her powers and learning more about her he began to soften up towards her. Even after Yukimasa gave him the chance to go back home he decided to stay with Izumiko and protect her. After moving to Tokyo together, Izumiko and Miyuki grow closer; but Miyuki doesn't believe he can truly protect Izumiko. He believes he is weak and can't even take care of himself. Miyuki has a very strained relationship with his father, whom he hates. At first when Miyuki refuses to serve Izumiko, Yukimasa took him into the woods it is implied that he beat him into submission. Yukimasa often calls Miyuki unworthy of serving Izumiko and belittles him every chance he gets. As the series progresses he begins to fall in love with Izumiko.
- Mayura Sōda (宗田 真響? Sōda Mayura)
- Voiced by: Madoka Yonezawa (Japanese); Kristi Kang (English)
- Fraternal sister of Manatsu and Masumi. In the third episode she is introduced as Izumiko's cheerful and kind roommate. However, in episode four it is revealed that she is a monk and is currently involved in a secret school-wide rivalry between herself and Takayanagi. Although she seems kind, she at times can be just as calculating as Takayanagi. After witnessing Izumiko's ability to identify Takayanagi's spirit agents, she realizes that Izumiko and Miyuki might be more powerful than she thought. She decides to try and recruit Izumiko, and attacks Miyuki to reveal his true strength.
- Manatsu Sōda (宗田 真夏? Sōda Manatsu)
- Voiced by: Kaito Ishikawa (Japanese); Joel McDonald (English)
- Identical brother of Mayura and Masumi. One of Manatsu's defining characteristics is his intense love of horses. Especially his first horse, Tabi. He is usually very cheerful and kind, but when it comes to his family he can be very determined and fiercely protective just like Masumi.
- Masumi Sōda (宗田 真澄? Sōda Masumi)
- Voiced by: Ryōhei Kimura (Japanese); Chris Burnett (English)
- Identical brother of Mayura and Manatsu. He died of a heart defect while taking an afternoon nap when he was six. Masumi is very protective of his siblings and does his best to keep them safe when he can. Mayura and Manatsu are capable of summoning him as a divine spirit and communicate with him often. In his fight against Takayanagi it is clear he is very powerful and capable of devouring spirits. He has a very playful personality and sometimes likes to dress in girl's clothing much to chagrin of his identical brother Manatsu. However, when his family is threatened he can become serious and have a much darker personality.
- Yukimasa Sagara (相楽 雪政? Sagara Yukimasa)
- Voiced by: Jun Fukuyama (Japanese); David Matranga (English)
- The father of Miyuki, his sole intention is to protect the goddess. Despite being 33 years of age, he looks quite young and lively. In some scenes in the anime it is shown that he is awfully strict and looks down upon Miyuki. He has a job as a model and is also a trained mountain monk.
- Yukariko Suzuhara (鈴原 紫子? Suzuhara Yukariko)
- Voiced by: Romi Park (Japanese); Melanie Mason (English)
- Izumiko's mother.
- Daisei Suzuhara (鈴原 大成? Suzuhara Daisei)
- Voiced by: Kazuhiko Inoue (Japanese); Robert McCollum (English)
- Izumiko's father, who works overseas.
- Satoru Wamiya (和宮 さとる? Wamiya Satoru)
- Voiced by: Rie Kugimiya (Japanese); Ryan Reynolds (English)
- Izumiko's spirit familiar; he gained a physical appearance due to her wish to have friends. He can control other students and tries to use them to get rid of Miyuki for the purpose of keeping Izumiko from Tokyo.
- Ichijō Takayanagi (高柳 一条? Takayanagi Ichijō)
- Voiced by: Hirofumi Nojima (Japanese); Clifford Chapin (English)
- Student council president candidate and top student. He badly desired to become the student council president, and acquired assistance from Spirit agents. However, he bore a grudge against Mayura for competing against him. In the end he lost the battle but intended to ruin the Sengoku festival organized by the student council. When Izumiko found out his plans, she went into a rage and transformed him into a white dog. In the end, however, he was converted back.
- Jean Honoka Kisaragi (如月・ジーン・仄香? Kisaragi Jīn Honoka)
- Voiced by: Sarah Emi Bridcutt (Japanese); Leah Clark (English)
- Student council president and associate of Murakami Hodaka.
- Hodaka Murakami (村上 穂高? Murakami Hodaka)
- Voiced by: Akira Ishida (Japanese); Jason Liebrecht (English)
- Former student council president of Hōjō Academy. He also identifies himself as an oracle and a judge in the battle to become a World Heritage Candidate. The goddess within Izumiko also called him the male god of art and said that she knew him from hundreds of years ago.
- Yoshiki Hayakawa (早川 よしき? Hayakawa Yoshiki)
- Voiced by: Mamoru Miyano (Japanese); Kyle Phillips (English)
- Shingo Nonomura (野々村 慎吾? Nonomura Shingo)
- Voiced by: Kenji Nomura (Japanese); Jason Douglas (English)
- He's Izumiko's Driver.
- Takeomi Suzuhara (鈴原 竹臣? Suzuhara Takeomi)
- Voiced by: Atsushi Ii (Japanese); Kent Williams (English)
- He's Izumiko's grandfather.
- Ayumi Watanabe (渡辺 あゆみ? Watanabe Ayumi)
- Voiced by: Kanako Miyamoto (Japanese); Noelle Fabian (English)
- She was one of Izumiko's friends from her previous school.
- Haruna Mita (三田 春菜? Mita Haruna)
- Voiced by: Ayaka Suwa (Japanese); Jamie Marchi (English)
- Another one of Izumiko's friends from her previous school.
- Yōhei Misaki (三崎 洋平? Misaki Yōhei)
- Voiced by: Keisuke Kōmoto (Japanese); Clay Wheeler (English)
- Tomoya Ogawa (小川 智也? Ogawa Tomoya)
- Voiced by: Ryōsuke Kanemoto (Japanese); Jeff Johnson (English)
- Misa Koshikawa (越川 美沙? Koshikawa Misa)
- Voiced by: Shōmi Tsuboki (Japanese); Alex Moore (English)
- Rena Akinokawa (秋乃川 玲奈? Rena Akinokawa)
- Voiced by: Ikumi Nakagami (Japanese); Sara Ragsdale (English)
The novel series is written by Noriko Ogiwara and published by Kadokawa Shoten. The first volume was published under the Kadokawa Gin no Saji Series imprint on July 4, 2008, and the last, the sixth, on November 29, 2012. The series is illustrated by Komako Sakai in the original novel version (cover only), and Mel Kishida in the Sneaker Bunko light novel re-edition.
A manga series adaptation, illustrated by Ranmaru Kotone and published by Kadokawa Shoten began serialization in December 2012. It was published in the Shōnen Ace magazine and ended its run in the September issue on July 26, 2014.  The series was compiled into four tankōbon volumes between February 21, 2013, and April 25, 2014.
It was adapted into an anime television series by P.A.Works, with original character designs by Mel Kishida, directed by Toshiya Shinohara. The first episode was streamed on Niconico on March 16, 2013 and aired on television on April 4, 2013. The opening theme is "Small WorlDrop" (スモルワールドロップ? Sumoru Wārudoroppu) by Annabel, and the ending theme, "Yokan" (予感?, lit. "Premonition") by Masumi Itō.
|No.||Title||Niconico broadcast date||Original air date|
|1||"The First Transfer Student"
"Hajimete no Tenkōsei" (はじめての転校生)
|March 16, 2013||April 4, 2013|
|One day, timid 15 year old Izumiko decides to cut her bangs as her first step toward self change. Despite her best efforts, she is still bullied at school due to her sheltered upbringing at a shrine by her grandfather. However, she has several friends, including a boy named Wamiya, who is quiet, like her. At school, when she uses a computer for class, bizarre things happen and every computer in the room loses power. She is sure that this is her fault, as Izumiko is unable to use technology without breaking it. To make matters worse,an old acquaintance, Miyuki, a boy who seems to hate her and constantly berates her, is brought to the shrine by his father, Yukimasa Sagara, who is a mountain monk. His father cryptically tells Miyuki that compared to Izumiko, who is incredibly important and special, he is nothing but a servant, and then tells his son that he will transfer to Izumiko's school. Miyuki adamantly refuses, and leaves the shrine, followed by his father. Shortly after, Miyuki and his father return, and Miyuki is covered in cuts and bruises. His father assures Izumiko and his shocked grandparents that Miyuki fell off a cliff, and before any questions can be asked Miyuki announces that he will be transferring to Izumiko's school and living in her shrine in the meantime.|
|2||"The First Palm of Someone's Hand"
"Hajimete no Tenohira" (はじめての手のひら)
|March 23, 2013||April 11, 2013|
|Izumiko and Miyuki plan to see Suzuhara, Izumiko's mother, during their school field trip in Tokyo. Upon arriving in Tokyo, Izumiko is terrified as she begins to sense something sinister following her. Miyuki thinks it's all in her head until a strange series of events occur, preventing them from meeting Suzuhara. However, just as the sinister figure closes in on them, it's revealed to be none other than Yukimasa Sagara, Miyuki's father, and she instantly calms down. He assures them that he was not the one keeping them from meeting Izumiko's mother, and that it may have been someone else. Though they are at Yukariko's house, Yukimasa informs them that Izumiko's mother will not be meeting with them. When Izumiko leaves the room, Miyuki accuses his father of using a spell to calm down Izumiko. Yukimasa confesses, agreeing, and then reveals to Miyuki that Izumiko, like her mother, is actually immensely important and she needs protection, as many will want to exploit her powers for personal gain- however, unlike her mother, she has not fully awakened to this power yet. Suddenly, Suzuhara appears, saying to protect Izumiko, as she is her 'last vessel'. Then suddenly, Suzuhara seems to awaken from a sort of trance, asking what has happened, her personality clearly different from before. Yukimasa tells Miyuki that she was possessed by an ancient power, and soon Izumiko will also be possessed by the same power. He then tells Miyuki that if it seems to be too much, he is allowed to change back to a different school and he no longer must stay with Izumiko.|
|3||"My First Familiar"
"Hajimete no Otsukai" (はじめてのお使い)
|March 30, 2013||April 18, 2013|
|Wamiya has noticed a change in Izumiko since her brief trip to Tokyo. When it becomes clear that Izumiko no longer hates Miyuki, Wamiya realizes that he is the cause of her change. Wamiya decides that it's time to wipe Miyuki out of the picture. Wamiya is actually Izumiko's familiar.|
|4||"My First Roommate"
"Hajimete no Rūmumeito" (はじめてのルームメイト)
|April 6, 2013||April 25, 2013|
|The lunch engagement and the opening ceremony soon become the backdrop against which several mechanics are explained: Izumiko's roommate Mayura and her brother Manatsu having had a childhood family tragedy, realizing that Izumiko's eyeglasses do have a vital function, and that the school's top student, Ichijou Takayanagi, is a dangerous onmyouji with operatives in the field -- one of which exhorts an after-school rendezvous much to Izumiko's fright. The whole circus ultimately plays out as a field test hosted by both Ichijou and Mayura to define and appraise Izumiko's spiritual capabilities; even with Miyuki easily destroying the operative, nullifying the utility of the booby-trapped password is not that straightforward as Mayura is shocked to learn the hard way when the computer explodes in her face.|
|5||"My First Makeup"
"Hajimete no Okeshō" (はじめてのお化粧)
|April 13, 2013||May 2, 2013|
|Once summoned to view the damage wrought unto Mayura from Ichijou's booby trap, Masumi is quick to absorb the spirits that have been coerced into the teen onmyouji's service after having quickly made short work of him. The next morning, Izumiko and Miyuki compare notes about the Souda triplets. Miyuki mirrors Izumiko's elation at having friends with specialized capabilities but is concerned about Mayura's possible ulterior motives and the turbulence endemic to Mayura capitalizing upon her perspective of him as a weakling to be exploited at will -- an admonishment to Izumiko against confessing the goddess the fruit of this. As has been previously demonstrated, Miyuki's father Yukimasa arrives with the news of his employment as a teacher at the school. This news angers Miyuki to where he lashes out at Izumiko. Miyuki's inability to constructively cope with Yukimasa capitalizing upon that which he hates about himself ignites a circus where Izumiko wanders to a building. There, an awkward request by the former student council president Hodaka Murakami ultimately provides the requisite critical mass for Izumiko to loudly object the testosterone tempest brewing in her presence by castigating Mikyuki's destructive criticism of her as tattling to Yukimasa. Upon The Goddess making it clear that Izumiko's volition is all that counts, the home commute is much calmer as Miyuki tells Izumiko to not expect a lot from him with an air of humility promising to do what he can.|
|6||"My First Slumber Party"
"Hajimete no Otomari" (はじめてのお泊り)
|April 20, 2013||May 9, 2013|
|The train ride to Souda-ke becomes the backdrop against which Izumiko learns more about Mayura's collaborative prologue with Manatsu and is explained the syllabus of the student council camp retreat. Professor Souda becomes an admirer once he learns of Miyuki's yamabushi tutelage and experiences at Houjou Academy during a social engagement. Upon recovering herself from being inebriated as she computes Manatsu's insight about the Souda Mayura Fan club, Izumiko's engagement with Masumi makes it clear that Tokakusi Mountain is an important destination. Upon arriving at the mountain, Mayura finds herself in an adversarial divergent concourse with Rena Akinokawa and Jean Honoka Kisaragi. After the student council meeting, Mayura explains Izumiko the complexity of Houjou Academy's political and social mechanics. Galvanized by her hatred of onmyouji -- especially Ichijou Takayanagi whose recent operation was so easily nullified, Mayura Souda's ultimate goal is to become a World Heritage candidate -- a prestigious status that affords many benefits. In spite of his attempts to temper her expectations of him, Miyuki soon finds that Mayura has prepared a field test for him and is not taking no for an answer.|
|7||"My First Time Getting Lost"
"Hajimete no Maigo" (はじめての迷子)
|April 27, 2013||May 16, 2013|
|Mayura forces Miyuki to fight Yokai, telling him the test will end when he figures out which one is Masumi. Miyuki asks Mayura to stop, worried for Izumiko's safety, but Mayura says she would protect Izumiko from any harm. In desperation to help Miyuki, Izumiko reveals that Masumi has been pretending to be Manatsu this whole time. The party returns to reality, but Izumiko is too distraught and is left behind in the plane. Masumi calms her down, and shows her the way out. Manatsu gets a call telling him that Tabi (their first horse) is sick and he needs to get there as soon as possible as he is the owner. After spending days alone Manatsu has yet to come back; worried for him, Izumiko and Miyuki go to see him. Once there, they find out that Tabi has died and Manatsu is extremely depressed. Mayura arrives, but Manatsu and she argue over what is best for each other. Manatsu runs away with Masumi into a plane, supposedly, never to return.|
|8||"My First Wish"
"Hajimete no Onegai" (はじめてのお願い)
|May 4, 2013||May 23, 2013|
|Sagara and Izumiko save Manatsu from Masumi's spiritual plane, but unleash a strong god. Sagara saves Izumiko from an attack and is revealed to have black wings, but in the end The Goddess comes and talks the god in to sleeping again. Izumiko asks the goddess if its possible for them to live apart. She tells her to ask her mother.|
|9||"My First Debut"
"Hajimete no Ohirome" (はじめてのお披露目)
|May 11, 2013||May 30, 2013|
|A festival is thrown at Izumiko's school and at the last minute she is asked to model for the festival. She is worried that since she has to let her hair down due to tradition, the Himegami might appear during the ceremony. Miyuki confronts Izumiko after the demonstration, and they argue. Even with her hair in braids, Izumiko is still possessed by the Himegami mid argument with Miyuki. The Himegami and Miyuki go on a 'date' though Miyuki is impatient to get Izumiko back. The Himegami explains what she truly is, and she explains that she can destroy all of mankind. Miyuki, in desperation to get Izumiko back, hugs her.|
|10||"My First School Festival"
"Hajimete no Gakuen-sai" (はじめての学園祭)
|May 18, 2013||June 6, 2013|
|Izumiko confides in Mayura about the Himegami, and expresses her fear of losing herself and as well as destroying all mankind. As the second day of the school festival begins, Sagara and Izumiko are asked to check out the haunted house after there are reports of girls becoming sick inside. Miyuki suspects it might have something to do with Takayanagi. Inside the haunted house, Izumiko is confronted by the vengeful ghost of Hachiouji Castle. Mayura is later forced into role playing as the Princess General for the next days activities, although it puts her in a good position to take on Takayanagi. Masumi asks Izumiko for clarification on what "love" is.|
|11||"My First Rejection"
"Hajimete no Kyozetsu" (はじめての拒絶)
|May 25, 2013||June 13, 2013|
|12||"World Heritage Girl"
"Seikaiisan no Shojo" (世界遺産の少女)
|June 1, 2013||June 20, 2013|
- "Hirofumi Nojima, Akira Ishida, Romi Park Join RDG Cast". Anime News Network. 2013-02-24. Retrieved 2013-02-25.
- "RDG レッドデータガール はじめてのお使い (カドカワ銀のさじシリーズ)" (in Japanese). Amazon.co.jp. Retrieved 2013-03-17.
- "RDG6 レッドデータガール 星降る夜に願うこと (カドカワ銀のさじシリーズ)" (in Japanese). Amazon.co.jp. Retrieved 2013-03-17.
- "Danganronpa, Red Data Girl Manga End". Anime News Network. 2014-07-28. Retrieved 2014-07-28.
- "RDG レッドデータガール (1) (カドカワコミックス・エース)" (in Japanese). Amazon.co.jp. Retrieved 2013-03-17.
- "RDG レッドデータガール (4) (カドカワコミックス・エース)" (in Japanese). Amazon.co.jp. Retrieved 2014-07-28.
- 販売店別特典情報追加！明日からニコニコ先行配信開始です！ (in Japanese). 2013-03-15. Retrieved 2013-03-17.
- "主題歌＆CD発売決定！Annabel＆伊藤真澄による2マンライブも開催！" (in Japanese). 2013-02-15. Retrieved 2013-03-31.
- RDG レッドデータガール (in Japanese). Syoboi. Retrieved April 12, 2013.[unreliable source?]
- RDG レッドデータガール. Media Arts Database (in Japanese). Agency for Cultural Affairs. Retrieved April 11, 2015.