|RED A03 V-12 engine|
|Type||Aircraft diesel engine|
|Manufacturer||RED Aircraft GmbH|
|Unit cost||US$170,000 (2012)|
The RED A03 is a V12 four-stroke aircraft diesel engine designed and built by RED Aircraft GmbH of Adenau, Germany. The engine received type approval from the European Aviation Safety Agency in December 2014 for use in any CS/Part 23 aircraft in both normal and utility categories. It powered the Yakovlev Yak-152 trainer on its 29 September 2016 first flight.
Designed by Russian engineer Vladimir Raikhlin, the cylinder banks' angle is 90 degrees and have twin double overhead camshafts. It weighs 250 kg (551 lb) net, 320 kg (705 lb) gross including two alternators, starters, engine and gearbox oil, heat exchanger and propeller governor. A marine version was planned for 522 kW/700 hp at 3,900 rpm.
Data from EASA Type-Certificate Data Sheet
- Type: four-stroke compression-ignition piston engine
- Bore: 86mm
- Stroke: 88m
- Displacement: 6134 cc
- Length: 1100 mm
- Width: 850 mm
- Height: 750 mm
- Dry weight: 363 kg dry
- Valvetrain: Gear-driven DOHC
- Turbocharger: 2 intercooled
- Fuel system: Common rail
- Fuel type: jet-fuel, kerosene-type/diesel
- Oil system: Dry-sump, dual-circuit
- Cooling system: Liquid, dual circuit
- Reduction gear: 1:1.88
- single lever FADEC/EECS
- Power output: 368kW (500 HP)Take-off at 2127 propeller rpm ; 338kW (460 HP) maximum continuous at 1995 Propeller RPM
- Specific fuel consumption: 210 g/kW/h (0.35 lb/hp/h) at 400 hp, 1862 prop. RPM, sea level
RED A05 300hp V6
The RED A05 is a 3550cc V6 preliminary design, outputting 300 hp (220 kW) at takeoff at 2127 propeller RPM and 280 hp (210 kW) continuously at 1995 propeller RPM, with a 210 g/kW/h (0.35 lb/hp/h) best brake specific fuel consumption.
- Niles, Russ (July 29, 2012). "500 Horsepower V-12 Turbo Diesel Engine From Germany". AV web.
- "E.150 – Type-Certificate Data Sheet – RED A03 series engines" (PDF). European Aviation Safety Agency. 19 December 2014.
- Perry, Dominic (5 Oct 2016). "First flight for Yak-152 trainer". Flight Global.
- Henderson, Keith (March 31, 2011). "Lightweight 375 kW (500 hp) V12 Marine Diesel". Maritime propulsion. Maritime Activity Reports.
- "RED A03 - V12 - 6100cc / 374 cu in" (PDF). RED aircraft. Jul 2017.
- "RED A05 - V6 - 3550cc / 216 cu in" (PDF). RED aircraft. Jul 2017.