RENFE Class 252
Standard gauge class 252 in AVE livery
|Type and origin|
|Builder||Iberian gauge: CAF, Macosa
Standard gauge: Siemens and Krauss-Maffei
|Total produced||Total of 75
60 to Iberian gauge
15 to standard gauge
|Gauge||1,668 mm (5 ft 5 21⁄32 in) gauge
1,435 mm (4 ft 8 1⁄2 in) gauge
|Wheelbase||3.00 m (118.11 in),
bogie centre distance 10.50 m (34 ft 5.4 in)
|Length||20.38 m (66 ft 10.4 in)
|Width||3.00 m (9 ft 10.11 in)|
|Height||4.3 m (14 ft 1.29 in)|
|Locomotive weight||90 tonnes (89 long tons; 99 short tons) (dual voltage)
86 tonnes (85 long tons; 95 short tons) single voltage
3 kV DC and 25 kV 50 Hz AC
Since 2010: 4 locomotives also 1.5 kV DC
|Traction motors||4 three phase TB 2824-OGA02 @ 1.438 MW (1,928 hp)|
|Maximum speed||200 km/h (120 mph) commercial,
220 km/h (140 mph) approved
302 km/h (188 mph) in testing on the LAV Madrid - Sevilla
|Power output||5,600 kW (7,500 hp)|
|Safety systems||ASFA, LZB|
The RENFE class 252 are a series of Bo'Bo' electric locomotives, built by CAF, Meinfesa, Siemens and Krauss-Maffei for RENFE. 15 units were built for the NAFA (Nuevo Acceso Ferroviario a Andalucía) line between Madrid - Sevilla (standard gauge version), and 60 units constructed for general use to Iberian gauge (1668mm).
Background, design, construction and history
The series of locomotives were ordered to modernise RENFE's fleet and to provide traction on the new standard gauge Madrid to Seville line, on Iberian gauge lines they were to replace RENFE Classes 276, 277 and 278 which were of some age, and incapable of speeds of 200 km/h; the order coincided with the construction of the first standard gauge high speed line in Spain, and was won in 1989 by a consortium of Swiss and German companies led by Siemens including Krauss-Maffei, Thyssen-Henschel, ABB.
The locomotives design was a development of that used in DB Class 120, which eventually led to the Siemen's Eurosprinter family of locomotives; of which the Class 252 can be considered a predecessor. The first 15 locomotives were built to 1,435 mm (4 ft 8 1⁄2 in) gauge in Germany, a further 60 locomotives were manufactured to 1,668 mm (5 ft 5 21⁄32 in) gauge by CAF and Meinfesa in Spain.
31 locomotives were dual voltage machines operating on 3 kV DC and 25 kV AC, the remaining 44 operated on 3 kV DC only. Subsequent to their introduction some of the locomotives have been re-bogied to both standard and Iberian gauge to meet operational requirements.
Locomotives built for the standard gauge high speed lines carried a white/grey 'AVE' livery, whilst the Iberian gauge machines were delivered in 'Taxi'/'Amarillo' (Yellow/Grey) livery, later some carried 'Arco' and 'Altaria' branding. In 2005 all locomotives became part of RENFE Operadora. These locomotives can be seen today throughout the Spanish territory of electrified railway lines.
In 2010 four locomotives were modified for freight work on standard gauge lines from Barcelona to Le Soler (nr. Perpignan) in France. The vehicles were fitted with ERTMS compatible train safety devices, standard gauge bogies; they will also operated from 1.5kV DC on some sections of the route.
- CP Class 5600 similar locomotives built at the same time for the Portuguese railways, operating only on 25kV AC
- Serie 252 www.wefer.com
- Renfe S/252: Introduction www.railcolor.net
- RENFE 252 , top, side and front elevations via www.wefer.com
- "Cuatro locomotoras 252 se transforman a ancho internacional". www.vialibre-ffe.com (in Spanish). Vía Libre.
- Renfe S/252 252-054 www.railcolor.net
- Renfe S/252 252-062 www.railcolor.net
- RENFE 252. La tracción eléctrica, Author: Josep Miquel, Reserva Anticipada Ediciones S.L., ISBN 84-95493-26-8
- "Electric Locomotives" (PDF). www.mobility.siemens.com. Siemens. S 252 High-Performance Universal Locomotive S 252 for Spanish National Railways RENFE pp.32-33.
- "Locomotora eléctrica 252" (PDF). www.vialibre-ffe.com (in Spanish). Via Libre.
- Complete Technical Data
- Locomotives Reference List, "High-Performance Universal Locomotive S 252", p. 22, www.transportation.siemens.com
- Renfe Operadora - 252 List of individual units with service information, via www.listadotren.es
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to RENFE Class 252.|
- RENFE 252 at Trainspo High quality pictures of RENFE 252 via "trainspo.com"
- 252 Images of locomotives of class 252, via www.railwaymania.com
- Spanish electric class 252 Images of class 252, via www.railfaneurope.net