REO Town district in Lansing, Michigan
Location in the city of Lansing, Michigan
|• Neighborhood||0.624 sq mi (1.62 km2)|
|• Density||3,200/sq mi (1,200/km2)|
|Time zone||UTC-5 (EST)|
|• Summer (DST)||UTC-4 (EDT)|
48910, 48912, 48933
|REO Town @ city-data.com|
REO Town is a district in Lansing, Michigan, located south of downtown. The neighborhood is bordered by West Malcolm X Street to the north; South Cedar Street BL I-96 to the east; West Mount Hope Ave to the south; and Townsend Street, the Grand River, and S Martin Luther King JR Blvd to the west. Considered the birthplace of the commercial automobile in the United States, REO Town is named after Ransom Eli Olds, an automobile pioneer, for whom both the Oldsmobile and REO brands were named. In addition to a commercial corridor along South Washington Avenue, REO Town includes three neighborhoods: Fabulous Acres, Moores Park, and River Point.
The REO Town Commercial Association was formed in 2003 to encourage businesses and residential growth in the area.
In July 2010 the Lansing Board of Water & Light announced plans to construct a $182 million natural gas-powered electric and steam generation plant along Washington Avenue in REO Town. The eight-story facility moved 180 jobs upon its opening in January 2013. Plans also call for the renovation and reuse of the former Grand Trunk railroad station. Construction of the new power station began in May 2011. The cogeneration power plant became operational on July 1, 2013.
In August 2010 the former Deluxe Inn was transformed into an outdoor urban graffiti art exhibit. The planned event attracted approximately 25 artists. The defunct motel, at the north end of REO Town, was demolished in September 2010 and is currently a large grassy lot.
REO Town has several big and small employers including Board of Water and Light, The Record Lounge, Saddleback BBQ, REO Town Pub, Blue Owl Coffee, Michigan Creative, Soulful Earth Herbals, Woke Mind Body Studio, New Horizons, Studio Intrigue Architects, Good Truckin' Diner, Quality Dairy, Riverview Church, O'Leary Paint Company, Lansing Sanitary Supply Company and LEAP.
REO Town is host to many vintage/second hand stores including REO Town Marketplace, Vintage Junkies, Community Finery, Thriftique, Blue Onyx Thirft, Jean Jean Vintage, Jo's Unique Boutique and St. Vincent De Paul.
REO Town's hair and nail services include Cuttin Up Barber Shop, The Artisan Company and in the future, Naild.
Arts & Culture
REO Town has several arts and culture events throughout the year. Art Attack is an event organized by the REO Town Commercial Association that celebrates art, live music and food. Arts Night Out is a celebration of Art and Culture that is put on by the Arts Council of Greater Lansing.
REO Town's theater is The Robin Theatre which provides a space for poetry, live music and theater performances. REO Town also features recording studios Elm Street Recording and REO Town Recording.
Art & Craft Beerfest is a celebration of art, beer and music. It is held during the mid-winter break between other area beerfests. The festival features 20 beers from Traverse City's Right Brain Brewing Company, 10 ciders from Blake’s Hard Cider and a variety of Michigan wines. In addition to Arts & Craft Beer Fest, Lansing Beer Fest is now hosted on third Saturday every June since 2012.
On June 23, 2018, REO Town hosted the Three Stacks Music Festival featuring Against Me!, Murder by Death, Pup, mewithoutyou, Screaming Females, Camp Cove, Petal, Oceanator, City Mouse, Worn Spirit, Stefanie Haapala, Ness Lake, and Secret Forte.
Founded in 2004, REACH Studio Art Center offers free and low-cost art classes for local Lansing youth and teens. Wheel House Studios opened in September 2018 offering classes and private lessons on wheel throwing geared towards adults.
- REO Town neighborhood in Lansing, Michigan (MI), 48910, 48912, 48933 detailed profile, city-data.com, Retrieved June 7, 2012
- REO Town Official Webpage, retrieved 2014-Jun-18
- Lansing, Michigan, wikipedia.com, retrieved 2010-Aug-03
- Adams, Tara. REO Town - REO Town Living and Visiting Guide Archived 2010-07-23 at the Wayback Machine, Lansing Area Capital Gains, capitalgainsmedia.com, August 12, 2009, Retrieved August 5, 2010
- Rook, Christine and Melissa Domsic. New REO Town development could revitalize Lansing downtown district, Lansing State Journal, lsj.com, August 1, 2010, Retrieved August 5, 2010
- Domsic, Melissa. BWL plans $182M power plant in Lansing's REO Town, Lansing State Journal, lsj.com, July 16, 2010, Retrieved August 3, 2010
- BWL becomes REO Town's best friend, Lansing State Journal, lsj.com, July 30, 2010, Retrieved August 5, 2010
- Domsic, Melissa. 'Classy' power plant in REO Town is under way, Lansing State Journal, lsj.com, May 26, 2011, Retrieved May 28, 2011
- Howell, Brandon. Lansing Board of Water & Light's new $182 million REO Town cogeneration plant goes online, MLive.com, July 1, 2013, Retrieved July 7, 2013
- Rook, Christine. REO Town - Graffiti Art Project At Deluxe Inn Brings Attention to REO Town Revitalization, Lansing State Journal, capitalgainsmedia.com, July 31, 2010, Retrieved August 4, 2010
- Rook, Christine. Deluxe Inn falls as demolition starts, Lansing State Journal, lsj.com, September 13, 2010, Retrieved September 13, 2010
- Domsic, Melissa. Grant given to upgrade streetscape in Lansing, Lansing State Journal, lsj.com, August 18, 2011, Retrieved August 18, 2011
- Press Release. USDOT Federal Highway Administration. U.S. Transportation Secretary Ray LaHood Announces $9.1 Million in Grants for Michigan Highway Projects, fhwa.dot.gov, August 17, 2011, Retrieved August 18, 2011
- "Board of Water & Light begins $2.5M restoration of historic REO Town depot". Capital Gains. Retrieved 2017-01-10.
- 10, News. "New BBQ Restaurant Opens in REO Town". Retrieved 2017-01-10.
- "New Horizons opens co-working space in REO Town, relocates up to 24 jobs". Capital Gains. Retrieved 2017-01-10.
- Sidorowicz, Josh. "Church Pitches Plan to Rehab REO Town Cadillac Club". Retrieved 2017-01-10.
- "GM Corporate Newsroom - United States - Company". media.gm.com. Retrieved 2017-01-29.
- "Lansing GM plant's third shift gone after 9 months". Lansing State Journal. Retrieved 2017-01-29.
- Harrison, Mariah (2015-08-20). "This Morning: REO Town Art Attack Preview". WLNS. Retrieved 2017-01-10.
- "Arts Night Out to bring music, art to unexpected places". Lansing State Journal. Retrieved 2017-01-10.
- jordanholley4 (2015-05-01). "REO Town resident embraces the arts". Greater Lansing News. Retrieved 2017-01-10.
- "Recording in REO Town". Capital Gains. Retrieved 2017-01-10.
- "5 things to do in Lansing this weekend, Jan. 27-29". Lansing State Journal. Retrieved 2017-01-29.
- "What's up in Lansing: Art, beer, theater and more". Retrieved 2017-01-29.
- "Against Me! to play new 'Three Stacks' music festival in REO Town". Lansing State Journal. Retrieved 2018-12-18.
- "'Relax and focus on the pottery': Wheel House Pottery Studio opens in REO Town". Lansing State Journal. Retrieved 2018-12-18.