Mitte at the 73rd Peabody Awards, May 2014
August 21, 1992 |
Lafayette, Louisiana, U.S.
|Occupation||Actor, film producer|
Roy Frank "RJ" Mitte III (born August 21, 1992) is an American actor, producer and model. He is best known for his role as Walter "Flynn" White Jr. on the AMC series Breaking Bad (2008–13). Like his character on the show, he has mild cerebral palsy. After moving to Hollywood in 2006, he began training with personal talent manager Addison Witt. They sought out acting opportunities where his disability would serve to "educate" viewers, which led him to audition for the role in Breaking Bad.
Mitte was born in Lafayette, Louisiana. He was delivered by emergency caesarian and was not breathing at the time of his birth, which resulted in permanent brain damage. He was adopted a few weeks later by Roy Frank Mitte Jr. and Dyna Mitte, who later separated. He was diagnosed with cerebral palsy at the age of three, and doctors put his legs in casts for six months in an attempt to straighten his feet.
Mitte was fitted with leg braces and used crutches throughout most of his childhood; however, over time, his body became stronger through sports and exercise and he no longer needed any walking devices by the time he was a teenager. In 2006, he moved with his family to Los Angeles, where his younger sister Lacianne Carriere had received an offer for a role in a film project.
Mitte was raised by his mother following the separation of his parents, and from the age of 13 was financially responsible for the family, which by then also included his sister, born when Mitte was 11. He remains responsible, and takes on multiple jobs to bring in an income
After receiving several roles as an extra, including in the Disney series Hannah Montana, Mitte became interested in films and decided to take acting lessons. Shortly after, he was offered the role of Walter White Jr., who also has cerebral palsy, in the AMC series Breaking Bad. At the 2013 Media Access Awards, Mitte received the SAG-AFTRA Harold Russell Award for his portrayal of Walter White, Jr. on the series, and also presented the eponymous RJ Mitte Diversity Award to deaf actor Ryan Lane. The Screen Actors Guild named Mitte as the spokesman for actors with disabilities and he is the representative of "Inclusion in the Arts and Media of Performers with Disabilities", which employs artists with disabilities.
Mitte will star in the film Wildflowers. His sister, 9-year-old Lacianne Carriere, will also be in the film. Mitte is one of the producers on the project. He is also working as a producer on a documentary called The Kids of Widney High. He hopes to branch out into directing. In 2011 he starred in the short horror film Stump. That same year, he worked as executive producer of the documentary Vanished: The Tara Calico Story, that deals with the disappearance of Tara Calico. In 2012 Mitte was cast in the thriller film House of Last Things.
In 2013, Mitte appeared in the music video for "Dead Bite" by rapcore band Hollywood Undead. In January 2014, he began a recurring role on the ABC Family drama series Switched at Birth portraying Campbell, a premed student paralyzed from a snowboarding accident who uses a wheelchair.
Mitte appeared on the cover of the February/March 2015 issue of Neurology Now (published by the American Academy of Neurology). The issue included a short biography and his views on cerebral palsy, bullying, and his acting career. He is also a celebrity ambassador for United Cerebral Palsy. 
|2013||House of Last Things||Tim|
|2015||Who's Driving Doug||Doug|
|2007||Hannah Montana||School Jock||Uncredited
Episode: "Schooly Bully"
|2008–2013||Breaking Bad||Walter "Flynn" White, Jr.||53 episodes|
|2013||Vegas||Russ Auster||Episode: "Paiutes"|
|2014||Switched at Birth||Campbell Bingman||9 episodes|
|2013||Hollywood Undead||"Dead Bite"||Child|
|2013||Steel Panther||"Party Like Tomorrow is the End of the World"|
|2014||Happy Father's Day, Walter White!||Walter "Flynn" White, Jr.|
Awards and nominations
|2011||Screen Actors Guild Award||Outstanding Performance by an Ensemble in a Drama Series||Breaking Bad||Nominated|
|2012||Screen Actors Guild Award||Outstanding Performance by an Ensemble in a Drama Series||Breaking Bad||Nominated|
|2012||Young Artist Award||Best Performance in a TV Series - Recurring Young Actor 17-21||Breaking Bad||Nominated|
|2013||Media Access Award||SAG-AFTRA Harold Russell Award||Breaking Bad||Awarded|
|2013||Screen Actors Guild Award||Outstanding Performance by an Ensemble in a Drama Series||Breaking Bad||Won|
- Tina Calabro (March 17, 2010). "'Breaking Bad' actor RJ Mitte finds 'perfect role' prepared him to become an activist". The Pittsburgh Post-Gazette. Retrieved 5 September 2010.
- Gary Strauss (20 February 2008). "For teen star of 'Breaking Bad,' real-life disability is no obstacle". USA Today. Retrieved 5 September 2010.
- RJ Mitte — Breaking Bad Is Good Interview, ABILITY Magazine.
- "'Breaking Bad's' RJ Mitte says he wants kids with CP to know they can achieve". Media dis&dat. March 18, 2010.
- George Rush (6 July 2013). "It's not an act - I really do have cerebral palsy". The Daily Mail.
- Natasha Wasinkski (10 October 2013). "‘Breaking Bad’s’ R.J. Mitte talks about living with cerebral palsy". Chicago Sun-Times.
- Martin, Dwayne (March 13, 2011). "Walter White, Jr. (RJ Mitte)". MaxUpdates.
- Interview The Daily Telegraph 24 May 2015
- Erin Clements (18 September 2013). "RJ Mitte, Miley Cyrus Appeared On 'Hannah Montana' Together". The Huffington Post.
- "2013 Media Access Awards". Writers Guild of America. 1 November 2013.
- Wolfe, Kathi (April 2012). "For Mitte, 'Bad' Rep is Good". Independence Today.
- "Stump (2011)". IMDb. Retrieved March 10, 2013.
- "Vanished: The Tara Calico Story". Indiegogo. Retrieved March 10, 2013.
- Philiana Ng (2 January 2014). "'Switched at Birth': 'Breaking Bad's' R.J. Mitte Makes His Debut". The Hollywood Reporter.
- Childers, Linda (February 2015). "Breaking Good: After the role of a lifetime, Breaking Bad's RJ Mitte is busting stereotypes about cerebral palsy and speaking out against bullying". Neurology Now (American Academy of Neurology) 11 (1): 22–25. doi:10.1097/01.NNN.0000461241.05321.d5. Retrieved February 13, 2015.
- "Celebrity Ambassadors". Retrieved June 18, 2015.
- "18th Annual Screen Actors Guild Awards". Screen Actors Guild Awards. 29 January 2012.
- "19th Annual Screen Actors Guild Awards". Screen Actors Guild Awards. 27 January 2013.
- "34th Annual Young Artist Awards". Young Artist Awards. 5 May 2013.
- "20th Annual Screen Actors Guild Awards". Screen Actors Guild Awards. 18 January 2014.
- RJ Mitte at the Internet Movie Database
- RJ Mitte discusses Breaking Bad at AMCtv.com
- RJ Mitte — Breaking Bad Is Good Interview with ABILITY Magazine