ROA (born c. 1976) is a graffiti and street artist from Ghent, Belgium. Internationally, he has created works on the streets of cities across Europe, the United States, Australia, Asia and New Zealand.
ROA generally paints wild or urban animals and birds that are native to the area being painted. ROA usually uses a minimal color pallet, such as black, white, but also creates works using vibrant colours depicting the flesh or internal systems within the animals and birds.
Notable works by continent
In 2011 ROA came to particular notice in the UK when Hackney council threatened to paint over one of his paintings, a 3.5m high rabbit. The rabbit had been legally painted on the wall of The Premises Studios in Hackney Road, London. A campaign was launched to keep the mural, by the building's owners and local residents, forcing the council to change its mind. While exhibiting works at Perth's Form Gallery, ROA was commissioned by the City of Fremantle to leave his mark on Fremantle, in about 12 hours ROA created a 25-metre (82 ft) mural of a Numbat which he chose because it is a local endangered species.
Roa painted a mural in El Barrio, East Bronx, New York City for the MonumentArt Festival. The mural is located in Lexington Gardens on 108th Street and Lexington Avenue. Typical of Roa's work, the black and white composition features several animals. The work was commissioned to celebrate the neighborhood's culture, history, and imagination.
- Gabbatt, Adam (25 October 2010). "ROA's graffiti rabbit faces removal by Hackney council". The Guardian. London. Retrieved 16 September 2012.
- "Roa @ Galerie Itinerrance". Graffiti Art Magazine. Paris. 2 February 2010. Retrieved 15 September 2012.
- "ROA at North West Walls (BE)", CityKingZ, 3 July 2014.
- Ben Cheikh, Mehdi (2015). Djerbahood : le musée de street art à ciel ouvert. Albin Michel.
- Coleman, Jasmine (10 November 2010). "Council u-turn in row over ROA graffiti rabbit in Hackney Road". Hackney Gazette. Retrieved 2012-09-15.
- Catanzaro, Joseph (31 October 2011). "Artist springs mural surprise on Freo". The West Australian. Retrieved 21 October 2013.
- Groffman, Adam (17 March 2014). "Street Art by ROA in Cologne’s Ehrenfeld Neighborhood". Travels of Adam.
- "Bristol's street art bonanza: See No Evil 2012 – in pictures". Guardian.co.uk. 20 August 2012. Retrieved 16 September 2012.
- Harrington, Jaime Rojo & Steven (2015-10-21). "'Monument Art' Murals Sing Of El Barrio in 2015". Huffington Post. Retrieved 2017-03-20.
- "11 Internationally-Known Street Artists Are Painting In East Harlem & The Bronx". Gothamist. Retrieved 2017-03-20.
- "ROA New Mural - Dunedin, New Zealand", Street Art News, 24 January 2014.
- Vincent Morgan, ROA interview, Fatcap, 27 September 2010.
- Freire Barnes, "ROA interview: 'Every wall has its own history'", Time Out, 19 June 2014.
- "An Afternoon with Roa, Street Artist", Spitalfields Life, 17 February 2011.
- "ROA, Artist", Facebook - unofficial fan page.
- Roa on Widewalls
- Media related to ROA at Wikimedia Commons