Rosa Marathon 2012 LTS
|OS family||Linux (Unix-like)|
|Source model||Open source|
|Initial release||1 December 2010|
|Latest release||Desktop Fresh R11 / 15 March 2019|
|Package manager||urpmi (command line frontend)|
|Kernel type||Monolithic (Linux)|
|Default user interface||KDE Plasma 5, KDE Plasma 4, LXQt|
|License||Mainly GPL and other free software licenses, minor additions of proprietary|
ROSA Linux is a Linux operating system distribution, developed by the Russian company 'LLC NTC IT ROSA'. It is available in three different editions: ROSA Desktop Fresh, ROSA Enterprise Desktop and ROSA Enterprise Linux Server, with the latter two aiming at commercial users. Its desktop editions come bundled with closed-source software such as Adobe Flash Player, multimedia codecs and Steam.
ROSA Desktop Fresh R10, the latest desktop release as of December 2017, is available with three different desktop environments: KDE Plasma 4, KDE Plasma 5 and LXQt. It also contains open source software developed in-house by ROSA, such as ROSA Image Writer or ROSA Media Player. ROSA Linux has been certified by the Ministry of Defence of Russia.
ROSA originated as a fork of now defunct French Linux distribution Mandriva and has since then been developed independently. The ROSA company was founded in early 2010 and released the first version of its operating system in December 2010. It initially only targeted enterprise users, but in late 2012, ROSA started its end-user oriented distribution, Desktop Fresh. Several distributions aimed at former Mandriva users, such as OpenMandriva Lx or MagOS Linux, are now themselves based on ROSA. Before its bankruptcy, Mandriva developed its last releases jointly with ROSA. Mandriva 2011 was also based on ROSA.
Although its main popularity is in the Russian-speaking market, ROSA Desktop also received favorable reviews by several non-Russian online publications. German technology website Golem.de praised ROSA for its stability and hardware support, while LinuxInsider.com called ROSA "a real Powerhouse".
|Version||Codename||Desktop environment||Release date||Linux kernel|
|2011||Hydrogen||KDE||29 August, 2011||N/A|
|2012 LTS||Marathon||KDE||13 May, 2012||N/A|
|2012||Desktop.Fresh||KDE||19 December, 2012||N/A|
|Desktop Fresh R1||Fresh||KDE||17 July, 2013||N/A|
|Desktop Fresh R2||Fresh||KDE||4 December, 2013||N/A|
|Desktop Fresh R3||Fresh||KDE, GNOME||29 April, 2014||3.10.34|
|Desktop Fresh R4||Fresh||KDE, LXDE||8 October, 2014||3.14.15|
|Desktop Fresh R5||Fresh||KDE, LXDE, GNOME||25 December, 2014||3.14.25|
|Desktop Fresh R6||Fresh||KDE||15 July, 2015||3.14.44|
|Desktop Fresh R7||Fresh||KDE 4, KDE 5, LXQt||5 January, 2016||4.1.15|
|Desktop Fresh R8||Fresh||KDE 4, KDE 5, GNOME 3, MATE||2 August, 2016||4.1.25|
|Desktop Fresh R8.1||Fresh||KDE 4||22 February, 2017||4.9 LTS|
|Desktop Fresh R9||Fresh||KDE 4, KDE 5, GNOME 3, LXQt||1st half of 2017||4.9.20 LTS|
|Desktop Fresh R10||Fresh||KDE Plasma 5, KDE Plasma 4, LXQt||4 December, 2017||4.9|
|Desktop Fresh R11||Fresh||KDE Plasma 5, KDE Plasma 4, Xfce, LXQt||15 March, 2019||4.15|
ROSA Desktop Fresh is supposed to be the line that ships with the latest and greatest (read: bleeding edge software versions), but ROSA Desktop Fresh R2 GNOME did not live up to that billing. Instead of GNOME 3.10, the latest stable version of the GNOME 3 desktop, you get GNOME 3.8.4.
In October 2012, Dedoimedo wrote review about ROSA Marathon 2012:
ROSA is a fairly elegant distribution, with a simple, clean layout, a handful of posh icons, windows-like decorations, and a classy menu. All in all, you would be tempted to guess what desktop environment you're working in, as the customized KDE leans toward more Gnome-like features.
Dedoimedo also wrote review about ROSA Desktop Fresh R7.
Jesse Smith reviewed ROSA Desktop Fresh 2012 R1 for DistroWatch Weekly:
Booting from the disc brings up a menu asking if we would like to launch the ROSA live environment or run the distribution's system installer. There is a third option which is to boot from the local hard drive and I was surprised to find booting from the local drive is the default option. This actually makes a good deal of sense as it means if we install the distribution and forget to eject the disc (or USB thumb drive) that we will still boot into the local installation of ROSA. Opting to run the live desktop brings us to a series of screens asking us to read the distribution's license agreement, set our time zone and confirm our keyboard's layout. From there we are brought to the KDE desktop. The theme is bright and the background is a nice, light blue. At the bottom of the display we find the application menu, some quick-launch icons and the task switcher. One of the first things I did was seek out the system installer and attempt to launch it. When I clicked on the system installer icon a pop-up appeared which simply said "password invalid" and the installer closed. Given this reception I decided to reboot the machine and try running the system installer from the live disc's boot menu.
Smith also reviewed Fresh R9 version.
- "ROSA Desktop Fresh R11". 15 March 2019. Retrieved 8 July 2019.
- "Downloads". 25 December 2017.
- "Our products". 19 February 2016.
- open, heise. "OpenMDV: Das Community-Mandriva nimmt Gestalt an".
- "Linux-Distributionen im Test: Rosa Desktop Fresh kooperiert mit aktueller Hardware - Golem.de".
- "Rosa Is a Real Powerhouse - Reviews - LinuxInsider".
- OpenNews: Релиз Mandriva Linux 2011 и ROSA Desktop 2011 (in Russian)
- Release notes ROSA Marathon 2012 - Rosalab Wiki
- OpenNews: Увидел свет Linux-дистрибутив ROSA Desktop 2012 (in Russian)
- Distribution Release: ROSA 2012 (DistroWatch.com News)
- Release notes ROSA Desktop.Fresh R1 - Rosalab Wiki
- OpenNews: Представлен Linux-дистрибутив ROSA Desktop Fresh R1 (in Russian)
- Distribution Release: ROSA 2012 R1 "Desktop Fresh" (DistroWatch.com News)
- ROSA Desktop Fresh R2 - Rosalab Wiki
- Distribution Release: ROSA 2012 R2 "Desktop Fresh" (DistroWatch.com News)
- ROSA Desktop Fresh R3 «KDE» — Блог:Точка Росы — Rosalab Wiki (in Russian)
- ROSA Desktop Fresh R3 «GNOME» — Блог:Точка Росы — Rosalab Wiki (in Russian)
- ROSA Fresh Desktop R4 – Блог:Точка Росы – Rosalab Wiki (in Russian)
- ROSA Desktop Fresh R5 - Rosalab Wiki
- Distribution Release: ROSA R5 "Desktop Fresh" (DistroWatch.com News)
- ROSA Desktop Fresh R5 – Linux-дистрибутив с KDE 4.14 – Новости (nixp.ru) (in Russian)
- ROSA Desktop Fresh R6 - Rosalab Wiki
- ROSA Desktop Fresh R7 - Rosalab Wiki
- ROSA Fresh R7: свидетельство непростой ситуации в проекте (in Russian)
- Distribution Release: ROSA R7 "Desktop Fresh" (DistroWatch.com News)
- ROSA Desktop Fresh R8 - Rosalab Wiki
- ROSA Desktop Fresh R8.1 - Rosalab Wiki
- OpenNews: Обновление Linux-дистрибутива ROSA Desktop Fresh R8.1 (in Russian)
- ROSA Desktop Fresh R9 - Rosalab Wiki
- OpenNews: Доступен Linux-дистрибутив ROSA Desktop Fresh R9 (in Russian)
- "ROSA Fresh R10 is out!". 25 December 2017.
- ROSA Desktop Fresh R2 GNOME review | LinuxBSDos.com
- ROSA Desktop Fresh R2 KDE review | LinuxBSDos.com
- ROSA Desktop Fresh 2012 review | LinuxBSDos.com
- ROSA Marathon 2012 review | LinuxBSDos.com
- ROSA Marathon 2012 review - Ahem, Dedoimedo
- ROSA R7 Desktop Fresh review - Thorny fun, Dedoimedo
- First look at ROSA 2012 R1 "Desktop Fresh", DistroWatch Weekly
- ROSA Fresh R9, DistroWatch Weekly