ROU 26 Vanguardia (bottom right) docked alongside ROU 01 Uruguay
|Name:||ROU 26 Vanguardia|
|Status:||in active service|
|Class and type:||Piast class|
|Type:||Salvage and marine rescue|
|Length:||238.25 ft (72.62 m)|
|Propulsion:||2 Diesel engines, 3,600 shp (2.7 MW)|
|Speed:||14.5 knots (26.9 km/h; 16.7 mph)|
ROU 26 Vanguardia is a Piast class salvage and marine research vessel in service with the Uruguayan Navy. The ship was laid down for the East German Navy in 1976, before being acquired by the German government after the Reunification of Germany. The ship was purchased by the Republic of Uruguay in 1991 and renamed Vanguardia. As of 2017, the ship remains in Uruguayan service.
ROU Vanguardia was laid down as a Piast class salvage and rescue vessel (Bergungsschiff) for the East German Navy on 28 December 1976. The ship was built in Gdansk, Poland using designs provided by the Polish Navy. She was commissioned into the Volksmarine as the 570 Otto von Guericke, named for 17th century Prussian scientist Otto von Guericke. Following the 1990 Reunification of German and the dissolution of the National People's Army, the ship was absorbed into the German fleet reserve. The Otto von Guericke was acquired by the Uruguayan Navy in October 1991, refitted and renamed the ROU 26 Vanguardia, and entered Uruguayan service in 1992.
Vanguardia currently serves as marine research and rescue vessel. Much of the vessel's role in the Uruguayan fleet revolves around the transport of supplies and passengers to Antarctica. The ships makes an annual trip to King George Island to deliver supplies. In November 2017 the Vanguardia was deployed as part of the rescue operations following the loss of the submarine ARA San Juan in the South Atlantic.
- ".:Armada Nacional - Marina de Uruguay:". www.armada.mil.uy. Retrieved 2017-12-02.
- "Uruguayan Naval Vessel 'Vanguardia' Fulfills Mission to Antarctic Base". Dialogo Americas. Retrieved 2017-12-02.
- "ROU VANGUARDIA 26 - ShipSpotting.com - Ship Photos and Ship Tracker". www.shipspotting.com. Retrieved 2017-12-02.
- "Fate of the Volksmarine vessels in 1990". www.axishistory.com. Retrieved 2017-12-02.
- El buque ROU 26 Vanguardia zarpó desde el Puerto de Montevideo hacia la Antártida Publicado: 11.01.201 URL: https://presidencia.gub.uy/comunicacion/comunicacionnoticias/el-buque-rou-vanguardia-+zarpo-desde-puerto-+montevideo-hacia-+antartida
- "ROU 26 "Vanguardia" zarpó hacia la Antártida Así es el calor / Chasque es una iniciativa de Montevideo Portal". www.montevideo.com.uy. Retrieved 2017-12-02.
- ""Uruguay's term in the Antarctic continent is a country project" - Uruguay Natural Marca Pais - Sitio Oficial". marcapaisuruguay.gub.uy. Retrieved 2017-12-05.
- Defensa.com (2017-11-20). "La Marina de Brasil destaca más buques para la búsqueda del submarino San Juan. Uruguay no pudo enviar el". Defensa.com. Retrieved 2017-12-02.
- "La Armada Española le ofreció a la Argentina equipamiento para el rescate del submarino ARA San Juan". Infobae (in Spanish). Retrieved 2017-12-02.