Theatrical movie poster
|Directed by||Luis C. Suárez|
|Screenplay by||Luis C. Suárez|
|Story by||Luis C. Suárez|
|Music by||Ria Osorio|
|Edited by||Joey Conejos|
|Distributed by||Star Cinema|
Warner Bros. (US)
RPG Metanoia is a 2010 Philippine 3D computer-animated adventure film produced by Ambient Media, Thaumatrope Animation and Star Cinema. It is the first full length Philippine animated movie presented in 3D. It was an official entry at the 2010 Metro Manila Film Festival. It won the title for 3rd Best Picture, Best Sound Recording and Best Original Theme Song, as well as the Quezon City's Special Citation given for being a Gender Sensitive Movie. The stereoscopy of the film was made by Roadrunner Network, Inc.
The film features an ensembled cast.
- Vhong Navarro as Cel / Sargo
- Zaijan Jaranilla as Nico "Nick" "Nicholas" / Zero
- Mika Dela Cruz as May "Mayumi" / Cassandra
- Jairus Aquino as Bryan "Bry"/ Mang Ernie
- Basty Alcances as Mark "Marcus" / Ahdonis
- Aaron Junatas as Bobby "Bob" / Sumpak
- Jonas Calapatan as Daniel "Dan" "Danny" / K'Mao
- Aga Muhlach as Daddy
- Eugene Domingo as Mommy
- Ketchup Eusebio as Andrew "Andy" / Bossing
- Igi Boy Flores as David "Dave" / Sidekick
Luis Suárez stated that the idea for the film came from his time with his nephew during summer (March–May). He asked his nephew what he wanted to do and he said he wanted to play online RPG games, so they went to a café and Luis spent the whole day with his nephew inside it. He then wanted to make a story for him for his nephew to see what he is missing in life. RPG took 5 years to make. Thaumatrope Animation began work in 2006. In 2008, a teaser trailer for the movie (then titled "theRPGmovie") was shown at Level Up's Ragnarok Online event at the World Trade Center. In August 2009, Ambientmedia officially partnered with ABS-CBN. In June 2010, it was announced to be an official entry for the 36th Metro Manila Film Festival. In August 2010, RPG Metanoia's official website was launched. The Cinema Evaluation Board gave the movie a Grade A. MTRCB gave the film a rated GP (General Patronage).
Julius Edward B. Penascosa of The Philippine Star gave RPG Metanoia a positive review, praising the film for its originality, characters and plot, also noting its depiction of Philippine culture and for not relying on star power as seen with mainstream MMFF entries; the film's voice acting however was criticized, likening the actors' performances to a typical Tagalog dub of an anime series.
Philbert Ortiz Dy of ClickTheCity.com declared the film worthy of comparison to CGI animated features released by Pixar Animation, the studio behind such animated films as Toy Story 3, Up, WALL-E, and Cars, stating: "Regular readers are probably aware of how highly I regard Pixar and their work, and so it should taken as high praise when I say that I would proudly hold RPG Metanoia up against even the best of Pixar. The film is simply extraordinary."
RPG Metanoia the Album is the official soundtrack album of the film published by Star Records. The original film score was composed by Ria Osorio and Gerard Salonga, with the Filharmonika Orchestra performing their composition. The album features APO Hiking Society, Jett Pangan and other well-known Filipino musicians. The theme song of the film "Kaya Mo" was sung by Protein Shake featuring Ney of the band 6Cyclemind and Kean of Callalily; the song is the album's single. An accompanying music video was made for the single.
The 2010 Metro Manila Film Festival Awards
- Third Best Picture
- Best Sound Engineering – Ambient Media
- Best Original Theme Song - Ria Osorio and Gerard Salonga - "Kaya Mo" - performed by Protein Shake ft. Ney and Kean
Asia Pacific Screen Award
- Won Best Sound at the 2011 FAP Awards.
This section is empty. You can help by adding to it. (June 2015)
- "Zaijan Jaranilla star in RPG Metanoia". PEP.ph. 5 August 2010. Retrieved 5 August 2010.
- Trisha, Alvarez (30 June 2010). 2010 MMFF entries bared "Official entries to the 2010 MMFF bared" Check
|url=value (help). PEP.ph. Retrieved 12 August 2010.
- Flores, Karen (29 November 2010). "First Pinoy 3-D animated film to premiere on Christmas". ABS-CBNnews.com. Retrieved 29 September 2012.
- "1st Pinoy 3D film half a decade in the making". Philippine Daily Inquirer. 19 December 2010. Retrieved 28 December 2010.
- Video on YouTube
- "Metro Manila Film Festival:2000". IMDB. Retrieved 2014-04-09.
- "'RPG Metanoia' nominated in Asia Pacific Screen Awards". ABS-CBNnews.com. 10 December 2011. Retrieved 29 September 2012.
- Official website
- RPG Metanoia on IMDb
- CG Animation News in the Philippines: 'RPG Metanoia' at AnimationInsider.net