The building in 2009
|Location||107 St. Francis Street Mobile, Alabama, USA|
|Owner||Retirement Systems of Alabama|
|Management||John Toomey & Company|
|Roof||424 feet (129 m)|
|Floor area||284,000 square feet (26,384 m2)|
The RSA–BankTrust Building, originally the First National Bank Building, is a 34 story, 424-foot (129 m) International Style office tower located in downtown Mobile, Alabama. Most recently known as the AmSouth Bank Building, it had been named in honor of its largest tenant until 2006, AmSouth Bancorporation. It was renamed the GM Building by its new owner, Retirement Systems of Alabama, in 2009. Following a lease agreement with BancTrust Financial Group and its community bank subsidiary, BankTrust, it was renamed again. BancTrust Financial Group is the only publicly traded bank holding company headquartered in Mobile. The building officially became the RSA–BankTrust Building on August 25, 2010. BankTrust will occupy 72,000 square feet (6,700 m2) of the tower, including the lobby floor and floors 25 through 31.
Both the original First National Bank building (built 1913) and the three-story Neo-Renaissance style U.S. Customs House (built 1853) were demolished in 1963 to clear the site for the new building. The office tower was completed in 1965 and was the tallest building in Alabama from that time until 1986, when it was surpassed by the Wachovia Tower in Birmingham. It remained the tallest building in Mobile until the completion of the RSA Battle House Tower in 2007.
The building was acquired by Retirement Systems of Alabama in February 2009 and subsequently renamed. Plans for an interior and exterior renovation were announced in November 2009. The architectural firm of Goodwyn, Mills & Cawood is performing the design and engineering work. The plans call for upgrading the interior office space from Class C to Class B. Exterior changes include replacing all windows with longer, mirror-tinted versions. The renovations are underway and are expected to be completed by March 2011.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to RSA–BankTrust Building.|
- "AmSouth Bank Building, Mobile". Emporis. Retrieved 2008-10-18.
- "Property Profile: AmSouth Bank Building". John Toomey & Company. Retrieved 2008-10-18.
- Jumper, Kathy (2009-11-08). "Carnival atmosphere: Former AmSouth building updating with Mardi Gras theme". Press Register. AL.com. Retrieved 2009-11-08.
- "BancTrust Financial Group, Inc. and the Retirement Systems of Alabama Announce Lease Agreement for New RSA-BankTrust Building". TradingMarkets.com. Retrieved 2010-08-25.
- Jumper, Kathy (2010-08-25). "AmSouth building becomes the RSA-BankTrust building today". Press Register. AL.com. Retrieved 2010-08-25.
- Gamble, Robert (1990). Historic architecture in Alabama: a guide to styles and types, 1810-1930. Tuscaloosa, Alabama: The University of Alabama Press. p. 102. ISBN 0-8173-1134-3.
City Federal Building
|Tallest Building in Alabama
Regions Bank Building
|Tallest Building in Mobile
RSA Battle House Tower