|Member of the Malaysian Parliament|
for Jelutong, Penang
|Assumed office |
9 May 2018
|Preceded by||Jeff Ooi Chuan Aun (DAP–PH)|
|Member of the Penang State Assembly|
for Seri Delima
8 March 2008 – 9 May 2018
|Preceded by||Koay Kar Huah (MCA–BN)|
|Succeeded by||Syerleena Abdul Rashid (DAP–PH)|
Sanisvara Nethaji Rayer s/o Rajaji Rayer
11 June 1971
Alor Setar, Kedah, Malaysia
|Political party||Democratic Action Party – Pakatan Harapan|
|Alma mater||University of London|
Sanisvara Nethaji Rayer s/o Rajaji Rayer (born 11 June 1971) is a Malaysian lawyer and politician. He is also a member of Democratic Action Party (DAP), a component party in the Pakatan Harapan (PH) coalition. He is the current Member of Parliament for Jelutong, and was the former state assemblyman for Seri Delima, Penang.
Rayer's political career began in 1988 after a short stint working for Karpal Singh for his general election campaign. Subsequently, he joined Democratic Action Party (DAP) and went on to contest and be elected twice as the state assemblyman for Seri Delima in 2008 and 2013 general elections. In the 2018 general election, Rayer contested the Jelutong parliamentary seat and was elected as a member of parliament.
Rayer was admitted to the Malaysian bar in 1995 after completing his chambering in the chambers of Karpal Singh & Co. Currently, he has his own law firm, R. Nethaji Rayer & Co. in Georgetown, Penang.
"UMNO celaka" remarks
Rayer drew flak from UMNO-BN supporters for his controversial "UMNO celaka" (damned UMNO) remarks referring to three assemblymen who alleged that DAP instigated the May 1969 riot in a state assembly sitting in Penang State Legislative Assembly. Following his remark, a protest was staged by Penang Perkasa Youth and several Penang UMNO members in front of the state assembly hall. They stormed into the state assembly hall by crashing through the gates of the building. They have also demanded apology from R.S.N. Rayer. However, Rayer refused to apologise.
Rayer was arrested in a sedition dragnet for his "UMNO celaka" remark under the Sedition Act and was charged on 27 August 2014. However, the Sessions Court acquitted and discharged R.S.N. Rayer. The court held that the words that Rayer had used in reference to UMNO did not amount to sedition as alleged.
TV3 Broadcast License
On 11 May 2018, just days after being elected a Member of Parliament of Jelutong on 9 May 2018, Rayer again drew widespread criticism, this time from ordinary Malaysian citizens, for posting a comment on Facebook, that TV3, a Malaysian TV network, should have its broadcast license revoked. This comment was in blatant contradiction to Pakatan Harapan's election manifesto which specifically promises to guarantee media freedom, and was swiftly renounced by Pakatan Harapan. 
"Kepala Bapak" remarks
On 5 August 2018, DAP’s RSN Rayer, who sparked controversy in the Dewan Rakyat when he used the insult ‘kepala bapak’ during the sitting, stirred trouble again when he repeated the phrase.He used the phrase when his attempt to raise an additional question was interrupted by Datuk Seri Hamzah Zainudin. Hamzah had criticised Rayer for trying to ask Deputy International Trade and Industry Minister Dr Ong Kian Ming whether the 1Malaysia Development Bhd (1MDB) issue had triggered outflow of foreign investments from Malaysia.
|2008||Sanisvara Nethaji Rayer (DAP)||8,402||57.20%||Loh Nam Hooi (MCA)||6,274||42.80%||14,915||2,128||72.70%|
|2013||Sanisvara Nethaji Rayer (DAP)||14,478||73.60%||Low Joo Hiap (MCA)||5,201||26.40%||19,944||9,277||83.70%|
|2018||Sanisvara Nethaji Rayer (DAP)||50,700||79.63%||Baljit Singh Jigiri Singh (GERAKAN)||12,529||19.67%||64,584||38,171||83.90%|
|Tan Sim Bee (MUP)||437||0.69%|
- Seri Delima (state constituency)
- Jelutong (federal constituency)
- List of Malaysian politicians of Indian origin
- "2013 General election results". The Star. The Star Publications. Retrieved 27 May 2014.
- "Karpal's death has left a void in my life says protege". 27 May 2014. The Malaysian Insider. 17 April 2014.
- "Commotion outside Penang state assembly building". The Rakyat Post. 22 May 2014. Retrieved 27 May 2014.
- "No apology for UMNO remark says a defiant lawyer". MSN News. 21 May 2014. Retrieved 27 May 2014.
- "Rayer charged with sedition". New Straits Times. 27 August 2014. Retrieved 9 September 2014.
- "Court acquits R.S.N Rayer of sedition court". 28 July 2016. Retrieved 9 August 2016 – via Astro Awani.
- "Jelutong MP slammed after calling for revocation of TV3's licence - Nation". The Star Online. Retrieved 2018-05-11.
- Hidir Reduan (6 August 2018). "'Kepala bapak' Part 2: Rayer courts trouble yet again". New Straits Times. Retrieved 2018-08-06.
- "Keputusan Pilihan Raya Umum Parlimen/Dewan Undangan Negeri" (in Malay). Election Commission of Malaysia. Retrieved 26 May 2010. Percentage figures based on total turnout.
- "Malaysia General Election". undiinfo Malaysian Election Data. Malaysiakini. Retrieved 4 February 2017. Results only available from the 2004 election.
- "KEPUTUSAN PILIHAN RAYA UMUM 13". Sistem Pengurusan Maklumat Pilihan Raya Umum (in Malay). Election Commission of Malaysia. Retrieved 24 March 2017.Results only available for the 2013 election.
- "my undi : Kawasan & Calon-Calon PRU13 : Keputusan PRU13 (Archived copy)". www.myundi.com.my. Archived from the original on 30 March 2014. Retrieved 9 April 2014.
- "Keputusan Pilihan Raya Umum ke-13". Utusan Malaysia. Retrieved 26 October 2014.
- "SEMAKAN KEPUTUSAN PILIHAN RAYA UMUM KE - 14" (in Malay). Election Commission of Malaysia. Retrieved 17 May 2018. Percentage figures based on total turnout.
- "Results Overview". The Star Online GE14. The Star. Retrieved 24 May 2018. Percentage figures based on total turnout.
|This Malaysian biographical article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
|This article about a Malaysian politician is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
|This Malaysia-related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
|This article about politics is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|