|This article relies too much on references to primary sources. (May 2010) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
The main information screen for rTorrent and libTorrent (rTorrent v0.9.2)
|Original author(s)||Jari Sundell (a.k.a. rakshasa)|
|Initial release||January 25, 2005|
|Stable release||rTorrent 0.9.6 / libTorrent 0.13.6 (September 3, 2015[±])|
|Preview release||git-ce000851 (September 9, 2016[±])|
|Size||1.3 MiB: GNU/Linux|
The library differentiates itself from other implementations by transferring data directly between file pages mapped to memory by the mmap() function and the network stack. On high-bandwidth connections, it claims to be able to seed at three times the speed of the official client.
rTorrent uses ncurses and is suitable for use with screen or Tmux; it uses commands such as Carriage return to load a torrent, after which ^S can be used to start a torrent (where ^ is shorthand for Ctrl key), backspace can be used to automatically start a torrent once it is loaded, making a subsequent issue of ^S unnecessary, ^K for stop, and ^D for pause, or if already paused or stopped, ^D again to delete the torrent. It supports saving of sessions and allows the user to add and remove torrents. It also supports partial downloading of multi-file torrents. In the release of rTorrent-0.7.0 support for BitTorrent protocol encryption was also implemented. PEX, DHT and initial seeding were recently implemented in rTorrent.
ruTorrent is a popular Web-based interface.
- Earliest known code import
- rakshasa (2015-09-03), Release 0.9.6 · rakshasa/rtorrent, GitHub, retrieved 2015-09-04
- rakshasa (2015-09-06), Merge branch 'master' of github.com:rakshasa/rtorrent · rakshasa/rtorrent@ce0008510723b6c96c86f8fe944affc84f90cd69, GitHub, retrieved 2015-09-19
- rakshasa/rtorrent, GitHub, retrieved 2015-07-14
- The libTorrent and rTorrent Project, Jari Sundell, archived from the original on 9 April 2014, retrieved 2007-08-09
- RTorrent User Guide, Jari Sundell, archived from the original on 17 February 2014, retrieved 2009-11-25
- LibTorrent 0.11.0 and rTorrent 0.7.0 released, Jari Sundell, archived from the original on 2 November 2012, retrieved 2006-12-13