|Conan Hayes, historically|
The logotype for RVCA portrays the letter A without a crossbar, resembling an uppercase lambda (Λ). The 'V' character is really a "U". Occasionally "RVCA" is written in a different script or appears in art where it is clear that the true name is 'Ruca'. The name resembles ρούχα (uppercase: ΡΟὙΧΑ), pronounced [ˈru xa] and translated into English it means 'Clothes'. The RVCA logo is based on the two chevrons, the V & the A, representing the brand's ethos "The Balance of Opposites" as stated by RVCA founder PM Tenore.
RVCA was founded in 1999 by Pat Tenore and Conan Hayes, a professional surfer from Hawaii. Billabong International Limited purchased RVCA in July 2010. In 2018 Boardriders acquired Billabong International Limited, gaining the Billabong, Element, Von Zipper, RVCA and XCEL brands.
RVCA is closely associated with skateboard, surf culture, Brazilian Jiu Jitsu, and MMA. The company sponsors a skateboard and surf team. They also sponsor prominent BJJ competitors and prominent MMA fighters. RVCA clothing is found in skateboard/surf shops and numerous other shops.
Because of its art focus, RVCA is also associated with the street graffiti subculture. RVCA is involved with various contemporary art galleries such as KNOWN Gallery.
Because of its Brazilian Jiu Jitsu and MMA focus, RVCA founder Pat Tenore (who holds a black belt in Brazilian Jiu Jitsu) built a BJJ/MMA gym known as The RVCA Sport Training Center. The training facility is located in Costa Mesa, California.
Notable sponsored artists & sportspeople
Among the artists sponsored by RVCA as part of the Artist Network Program (ANP) are Mark OBlow, Mark Mothersbaugh, Barry McGee, C. R. Stecyk, III, David Choe, Kelsey Brookes, KRK Ryden, Matt Gordon, and Tommy Guerrero.
- Surf team
- Skate team
- MMA fighters
- Brazilian Jiu Jitsu fighters
- "Boardriders Inc. - the World's Leading Boardriding Company". Boardriders Inc. Retrieved 2018-10-08.
- "Conan Hayes Launches Ruca". Transworld SURF. June 4, 2001. Retrieved October 4, 2011.
- "Keeping Up with the Hayeses, and the Joneses". Surfer. July 22, 2010. Retrieved January 24, 2012.
- Yen, Yii-Wyn (December 6, 2004). "Carving Out A New Market Space". Sports Illustrated. Retrieved January 24, 2012.
- "Company History". Billabong. Retrieved 10 September 2012.
- "ANP Artists". RVCA. Retrieved September 10, 2012.