Bobadilla with Borussia Mönchengladbach in 2010
|Full name||Raúl Marcelo Bobadilla|
|Date of birth||18 June 1987|
|Place of birth||Buenos Aires, Argentina|
|Height||1.81 m (5 ft 11 in)|
|Playing position||Striker, Winger|
|2006–2007||→ Concordia (loan)||28||(18)|
|2011||→ Aris (loan)||7||(2)|
|* Senior club appearances and goals counted for the domestic league only and correct as of 04:36, 5 June 2017 (UTC).
‡ National team caps and goals correct as of 19:23, 14 November 2015 (UTC)
Raúl Marcelo Bobadilla (born 18 June 1987) is a footballer who plays as a striker for Borussia Mönchengladbach in the Bundesliga. Born and raised in Argentina, the son of Paraguayan parents, he represents Paraguay at international level, making his senior debut in 2015.
Bobadilla originally started out at River Plate but moved to Concordia Basel in the Swiss Challenge League for the 2006–07 Swiss Challenge League season. Murat Yakin was trainer at that time and for Bobadilla this was a very successful season. He scored 18 goals in 28 League games and finished third in the goal scorer list at the end of the season. Yakin left Concordia and went to Grasshopper Club Zürich as assistant trainer to Hanspeter Latour for the 2007–08 Super League season and took Bobadilla with him. Bobadilla continued his good goalscoring form, becoming their first choice striker. Bobadilla finished in second place of the goal scorer list at the end of the season and was shortlisted in the Final 4 players for the Swiss League player of the year for the 2007–08 season, which was ultimately won by Hakan Yakin.
On 3 January 2013, FC Basel announced that Bobadilla signed a contract until 2017.
He made his league debut for Basel on 1 April in the 4–0 away win against Luzern being substituted in during the 77th minute of the game. He scored his first goal for his new club on 1 June 2013 in the 1–0 home win in the St. Jakob-Park against St. Gallen. At the end of the Swiss Super League season 2012–13 Bobadilla won the Championship title and was Swiss Cup runner up with Basel. In the 2012–13 UEFA Europa League, Basel advanced as far as the semi-finals, there being matched against the reigning UEFA Champions League holders Chelsea, but they were knocked out losing both matches and being beaten 2–5 on aggregate.
On 15 August 2013, FC Augsburg announced that Bobadilla signed a contract until 30 June 2016.
On 9 May 2015, Bobadilla scored the only goal as Augsburg won away at Bayern Munich, who had already won the league title, a back-heel after a cross from Pierre-Emile Højbjerg, who was on loan from the opponent. In the 14th minute, he had been fouled by goalkeeper Pepe Reina for a penalty, resulting in Reina's dismissal, but Paul Verhaegh's shot hit the post with Manuel Neuer taking over in goal.
On 17 August 2017, after 4 years in Augsburg, Bobadilla returned to Borussia Mönchengladbach on a two-year contract.
On 9 February 2015, it was reported by D10 and ABC Color that Bobadilla had begun the process of taking up Paraguay's nationality in order to represent the Paraguay national team, by way of his Paraguayan parents. On 11 March, he received his first call-up to the team, for friendlies later that month against Mexico and Costa Rica, making his debut in a 0–0 draw in San José.
- "Borussia verpflichtet Thorben Marx und Raúl Bobadilla" (in German). borussia.de. 12 June 2009. Retrieved 19 June 2009.
- Gori, Marco (21 January 2012). "Young Boys sign Bobadilla". Retrieved 26 October 2012.
- "FCB engagiert Stürmer Raúl Bobadilla" (in German). FC Basel. 3 January 2013. Retrieved 3 January 2013.
- Marty, Caspar. "Der Meistersamstag im Zeitraffer" (in German). FC Basel 1893. Retrieved 15 June 2013.
- Schifferle, Michael (10 June 2013). "Season review: Switzerland". UEFA. Retrieved 15 June 2013.
- SFV (20 May 2013). "Telegramm Schweizer Cup Final" (in German). Schweizerischer Fussballverband. Retrieved 15 June 2013.
- Haylett, Trevor (3 May 2013). "Basel take heart after Chelsea defeat". UEFA. Retrieved 15 June 2013.
- "FC Augsburg verpflichtet Bobadilla" (in German). FC Augsburg on facebook.com. 15 August 2013. Retrieved 15 August 2013.
- "Bayern Mun 0-1 FC Augsburg". BBC Sport. 9 May 2015. Retrieved 9 May 2015.
- "FC Augsburg". Soccerway. Retrieved 4 August 2015.
- "Bobadilla: Rückkehr nach Gladbach!" (in German). kicker. 17 August 2017. Retrieved 17 August 2017.
- "Haedo Valdez estaría de vuelta en dos semanas" (in Spanish). ABC Color. 9 February 2015. Retrieved 10 February 2015.
- "El sueño de Haedo es jugar su tercera Copa América con Paraguay" (in Spanish). D10. 9 February 2015. Retrieved 10 February 2015.
- "Justo Villar y Lucas Barrios fueron convocados a la selección paraguaya" [Justo Villar and Lucas Barrios chosen for the Paraguayan national team] (in Spanish). elgraficochile.cl. Retrieved 12 March 2015.
- "Costa Rica 0-0 Paraguay 0: Dour draw marks Diaz debut". Goal.com. 27 March 2015. Retrieved 14 June 2015.
- "2015 Copa America squad lists". ESPN. 28 May 2015. Retrieved 14 June 2015.
- "Argentina 2-2 Paraguay". BBC. 13 June 2015. Retrieved 14 June 2015.