Raad (air defense system)
|Raad air defence system|
|Type||Air defense system|
|Place of origin||Iran|
|Used by||IRGC AF|
|Designer||IRGC aerospace force|
|3x Taer-2 surface to air missiles (50km)|
3x Sayyad-2 surface to air missile (75km)
|Engine||Solid Fuel Rocket|
Raad or Ra'd (Persian: رعد, meaning "thunder") is an Iranian aerial defence system deployed in September 2012. It is apparently a copy or derivative of the Russian Buk M3. The system is designed to enhance Iran's capabilities in terms of defense, and as a partner to Bavar 373 air defense system. According to Fars news agency the Raad is designed to confront fighter jets, cruise missiles, smart bombs, helicopters and drones. The system is also designed specially for US fighters. The system is equipped with "Taer" (Bird) missiles, which can trace and hit targets in ranges up to 50 km and in altitudes from 25 to 27 km (75,000 feet), Ra'd is a mid-range radar system and air defense system.
During Velayat 91 maneuvers in December 2012 the Iranian Navy successfully tested the Raad Air Defense System but it is not clear if the Raad missile tested in Iranian Navy is the same one as the Taer-2 missile of Raad system designed by the IRGC Aerospace Force and it may be only a similarity between a surface to air missile and an air defense system.
On May 2014 the Aerospace Force of the Islamic Revolutionary Guard Corps (IRGC-AF) unveiled four different configuration of Raad air defense system: 3rd Khordad TELAR which is equipped with Taer-2B missiles, a phased-array radar and is able to control two launchers; Tabas TELAR which features a white dome radar and uses Taer-2A missiles; Alam al hoda launcher is equipped with electro-optical tracking systems; and Raad-2 which has a new wheeled launcher and uses electro-optical systems on separate vehicles with a range of 80 km.
In the IRGC-AF exhibition in May 2014 announced that new versions of 3rd Khordad SAM system will reach to ranges about 100 and 200 km with new missiles. The 3rd Khordad (3rd of Khordad) system can engage with 4 targets and guide 2 missile to each of them simultaneously with the aid of its phased array radar that has 1700 elements. Jane's describes the 3 Khordad as "a highly capable surface-to-air missile (SAM) system."
Iran has also developed another SAM system named RAAD-1 with TAER-1 missiles.
Downing of an American drone
On 19 June 2019, an American RQ-4 Global Hawk UAV was shot down by an Iranian surface-to-air missile while over the Strait of Hormuz. Iranian officials said the drone was shot down by a 3rd Khordad medium-range SAM system, which is part of the Raad family of air defense systems.
Systems of comparable role, configuration and era
- What Is The Next U.S. Move With Iran?
- "مقابله سامانه رعد با هواپیماهای آمریکایی". mashreghnews.ir. Retrieved 2016-07-24.
- "3 خبر دفاعی، 4 تحلیل سیاسی و 5 نکته امنیتی از زبان سرلشکر جعفری". mashreghnews.ir. Retrieved 2016-07-24.
- "نه شرقی نه غربی؛ فقط "رعد ایرانی" + تصاویر". mashreghnews.ir. Retrieved 2016-07-24.
- "Latest version of Raad missile successfully test-fired". English.irib.ir. 2012-12-31. Archived from the original on 2013-01-26. Retrieved 2013-09-03.
- "اسکویی در باره ایران: Iran Tests Ra'ad Air Defense System During Naval Drills". Uskowi on Iran. Retrieved 2013-09-03.
- ""علم الهدی" ناشناختهترین سامانه شکار جنگندههای رادارگریز +عکس". mashreghnews.ir. Retrieved 2016-07-24.
- Binnie, Jeremy (13 July 2014). "IRGC unveils new tactical ballistic missiles developments - IHS Jane's 360". London. Archived from the original on 14 July 2014.
- "آشنایی با 3 سامانه پدافندی که ایران به جای اس 300 رونمایی کرد +عکس". mashreghnews.ir. Retrieved 2016-07-24.
- "40 types of Iranian Radars". Mashregh News Agancy.[permanent dead link]
- "40 نوع رادار ایرانی؛ چشمان همیشه بیدار نیروهای مسلح +عکس". mashreghnews.ir. Retrieved 2016-07-24.
- "IRGC Reveals More Details of Downing US Drone - Politics news". Tasnim News Agency.
- "Trump says hard to believe Iranian shooting down of U.S. drone was..." 21 June 2019 – via www.reuters.com.