In the Ottoman Empire days, the name of this month in Ottoman Turkish was Rèbi' ul-aher, with the Turkish abbreviation Rè, or Reb.-ul-Akh. in western European languages. In modern Turkish it is Rebiülahir or Rebiülsani.
The Islamic calendar is a lunar calendar, and months begin when the first crescent of a new moon is sighted. Since the Islamic lunar calendar year is 11 to 12 days shorter than the tropical year, Rabī' al-Thānī migrates throughout the seasons. The estimated start and end dates for Rabī' al-Thānī are as follows (based on the Umm al-Qura calendar of Saudi Arabia):
|AH||First day (CE/AD)||Last day (CE/AD)|
|1439||19 December 2017||17 January 2018|
|1440||8 December 2018||6 January 2019|
|1441||28 November 2019||26 December 2019|
|1442||16 November 2020||15 December 2020|
|1443||6 November 2021||4 December 2021|
|1444||26 October 2022||24 November 2022|
- 08 or 10 Rabī' al-Thānī, the birth of the Eleventh Imam Hasan al-Askari
- 10 or 12 Rabī’ al-Thānī, death of Fatimah bint Musa
- 11 of Rabī’ al-Thānī, death of Abdul-Qadir Gilani, the Sufi sheikh who is believed to be the "saint of saints"
- 15 of Rabi' al-Thani, death of Habib Abu Bakr al-Haddad
- 27 of Rabi' al-Thani, death of Ahmad Sirhindi
- 28 or 29 of Rabī’ al-Thānī, death of ibn Arabi, the great philosopher from Spain who died and rests in Damascus, Syria.
- Youssof, R. (1890). Dictionnaire portatif turc-français de la langue usuelle en caractères latins et turcs. Constantinople. p. 479.
- Young, George (1905). Corps de droit ottoman; recueil des codes, lois, règlements, ordonnances et actes les plus importants du droit intérieur, et d'études sur le droit coutumier de l'Empire ottoman (in French). 1. Clarendon Press. p. xiv.
- Umm al-Qura calendar of Saudi Arabia
- "Sheikh Muhyiddin Ibn Al-Arabi (RA) - URS 22 Rabi al-Thani". LoveMeditation-Naqshbandi | Maida Vale Naqshbandi Rabbani Group | Islamic History | Sufi Events | Sufi Saints History. 29 January 2016.