This article has multiple issues. Please help improve it or discuss these issues on the talk page. (Learn how and when to remove these template messages)(Learn how and when to remove this template message)
September 14, 1974
|Known for||hosting the longest-ever television talk show and Sidha Kura Janta Sanga|
Rabi Lamichhane (Nepali: रवि लामिछाने) is a Nepalese television presenter who set the world record for hosting the longest-ever television talk show broadcast in April, 2013. He hosts a popular television show, Sidha Kura Janta Sangha, which "addresses the root causes of different problems inside the country". He is best known for his "detective-style" journalism and raising direct questions to Nepal's bureaucracy regarding the problems of their offices in various sectors.
Rabi Lamichhane stayed on the air for more than 62 hours during a live broadcast by News24 Television. To set the world record for the longest talk show, he interviewed politicians, journalists and celebrities on the theme "Buddha was born in Nepal", and took phone calls from viewers. The previous record was set by two Ukrainian presenters who stayed on the air for 52 hours in 2011.
Currently, he hosts Sidha Kura Janta Sanga (Translation: Direct Talk With The People) in News 24 television. In 2019, it reached its 400th episode.
On 15th August 2019, Police arrested Lamichhane in his News 24 office in connection to the death of journalist Shalikram Pudasaini, which appeared to be a suicide. Video footage recorded by Pudasaini — which was made public by an online news portal — accuses Lamichhane, along with two others for his death. According to Chitwan District Police Office, they were remanded to custody, with effect from 16th August.
Lamichhane’s fans and journalists picketed the police office. Lamichhane’s supporters demonstrated outside the court and police office throughout the day, demanding his unconditional release. People from as far as Pokhara and Butwal came to participate in the demonstration.
He was released from custody with Rs.5,00,000 bail on 26 August. On 27 August, amid the mass of his supporters stated that he would pull up his acts against corruption in the country.
- Sangita Panta Thapa
- "Rabi Lamichhane speaks about his US Passport and current nationality".
- "Rabi Lamichhane Holds American Citizenship Which Has Created Chaos Among His Fans".
- "Rabi Lamichhane to be arrested, deported for being an American citizen to host Nepalese television".
- Republica. "Rabi Lamichhane and Nikita Poudel get married". My City. Retrieved 2019-01-22.
- "Rabi Lamichhane Biography". BioFamous.
- "Nepali hosts longest-ever talk show". BBC News. 13 April 2013. Retrieved 26 November 2017.
- "Nepalese presenter sets record for longest talk show - ABC News (Australian Broadcasting Corporation)". ABC. 14 April 2013. Retrieved 26 November 2017.
- "Lamichhane sets talk show world record". Ekantipur.com. The Kathmandu Post. 14 April 2013. Retrieved 26 November 2017.
- Timilai Mann parauchu by Nabin k. Bhattarai ft. Rabi Lamichane (OFFICIAL MUSIC VIDEO), retrieved 2019-09-09
- "Timro aagamanle By Ram Krishna Dhakal". Music Nepal. YouTube. 28 August 2013. Retrieved 26 November 2017.
- "Sidha Kura Janata Sanga – Your verdict matters!". sidhakurajanatasanga.com. Retrieved 20 August 2017.
- Richard Hall (14 April 2013). "Nepalese man sets record for longest broadcast with 62-hour television marathon". The Independent. Retrieved 26 November 2017.
- "Pudasaini death mystery: TV host Lamichhane among three arrested". The Himalayan Times. 2019-08-16. Retrieved 2019-08-17.
- "Five-day custody for Rabi Lamichhane, 2 others". The Himalayan Times. 2019-08-17. Retrieved 2019-08-17.
- Keshab Niroula (27 August 2019). "In the banks of Narayani River, Rabi says "I will stand much harsh against the corrupts". eHulaki. Retrieved 27 August 2019.