|Coordinates: 29°43′21″N 90°36′19″W / 29.72250°N 90.60528°W|
|• Total||21.62 sq mi (55.99 km2)|
|• Land||21.57 sq mi (55.86 km2)|
|• Water||0.05 sq mi (0.13 km2)|
|Elevation||14 ft (4 m)|
|• Density||452.89/sq mi (174.86/km2)|
|Time zone||UTC-6 (CST)|
|• Summer (DST)||UTC-5 (CDT)|
Raceland is an unincorporated community and census-designated place (CDP) on Bayou Lafourche in Lafourche Parish, Louisiana, United States. The population was 9,768 in 2020. It is part of the Houma–Bayou Cane–Thibodaux metropolitan statistical area.
According to the Louisiana Office of Tourism, Raceland was named for the Race family that once owned a large plantation named "Raceland" on Bayou Lafourche.
Raceland is located at 29°43′21″N 90°36′19″W / 29.72250°N 90.60528°W (29.722576, -90.605172), on both sides of Bayou Lafourche. It is bordered to the southeast by Mathews.
U.S. Route 90 passes through the southeast part of Raceland, leading northeast 44 miles (71 km) to New Orleans and west 40 miles (64 km) to Morgan City. Louisiana Highways 1 and 308 pass through the center of Raceland, on the south and the north sides of Bayou Lafourche, respectively. Both highways lead southeast (downriver) 7 miles (11 km) to Lockport and northwest (upriver) 15 miles (24 km) to Thibodaux, the parish seat. Louisiana Highway 182 passes through the center of Raceland on the old route of US-90; it leads northeast 3.5 miles (5.6 km) to US-90 and southwest 12 miles (19 km) to Houma.
According to the United States Census Bureau, the Raceland CDP has a total area of 21.6 square miles (56.0 km2), of which 0.04 square miles (0.1 km2), or 0.23%, are water.
|U.S. Decennial Census|
|Black or African American (non-Hispanic)||2,749||28.14%|
|Hispanic or Latino||403||4.13%|
As of the 2020 United States census, there were 9,768 people, 3,971 households, and 2,812 families residing in the CDP.
Government and infrastructure
The U.S. Postal Service operates the Raceland Post Office.
Lafourche Parish Public Schools operates public schools.
Central Lafourche High School is in Mathews, and has a Raceland postal address. The school serves all of Raceland.
Raceland High School opened in 1912 and was expanded in 1924; it was consolidated into Lafourche Central High along with Lockport High School in 1966. An elementary school occupies the former Raceland High. In the era before desegregation (circa 1969) Raceland Colored School educated black residents.
Lafourche Parish Library operates the Raceland Branch.
- Gypsy Rose Blanchard, notable true crime personality; born in Raceland.
- Donald G. Bollinger, founder of Bollinger Shipyards (1946) and state chairman of the Republican Party of Louisiana (1986–1988); born and died in Raceland, resided as an adult in Lockport
- Jimmy Clanton, singer and actor; born in Raceland
- Ron Estay, football player, All-American defensive lineman for LSU; played professionally for the Canadian Football League's Edmonton Eskimos
- Freddie John Falgout, widely believed to be the first American killed in what would become known as World War II
- Aaron Loup, pitcher for the Los Angeles Angels
- Punch Miller, jazz musician; born in Raceland
- Larry Wilson, basketball player and NBA draft pick
- ^ "2020 U.S. Gazetteer Files". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved March 20, 2022.
- ^ "Raceland".
- ^ "US Gazetteer files: 2010, 2000, and 1990". United States Census Bureau. 2011-02-12. Retrieved 2011-04-23.
- ^ "U.S. Gazetteer Files: 2019: Places: Louisiana". U.S. Census Bureau Geography Division. Retrieved February 27, 2020.
- ^ "Census of Population and Housing". Census.gov. Retrieved June 4, 2016.
- ^ "Explore Census Data". data.census.gov. Retrieved 2021-12-28.
- ^ "Raceland." U.S. Census Bureau. Retrieved on March 12, 2017. "109 RACELAND ST RACELAND, LA 70394-9998"
- ^ Home. Raceland Lower Elementary School. Retrieved on November 29, 2016.
- ^ Home. Raceland Upper Elementary School. Retrieved on November 29, 2016.
- ^ Home. Raceland Middle School. Retrieved on November 29, 2016.
- ^ "2010 CENSUS - CENSUS BLOCK MAP: Mathews CDP, LA." U.S. Census Bureau. Retrieved on November 29, 2016.
- ^ Home. Central Lafourche High School. Retrieved on November 29, 2016. "4820 Highway 1, Raceland, LA 70394"
- ^ "2010 CENSUS - CENSUS BLOCK MAP (INDEX): Raceland CDP, LA." U.S. Census Bureau. Retrieved on November 29, 2016. Pages: 1, 2.
- ^ "SCHOOL ATTENDANCE BOUNDARIES Archived 2016-12-02 at the Wayback Machine." Lafourche Parish Public Schools. Retrieved on December 2, 2016. Based on the text description of the school boundaries
- ^ Theriot, Clifton. Lafourche Parish. Arcadia Publishing, December 1, 2014. ISBN 1439648662, 9781439648667. p. 71.
- ^ Engineering News-Record, Volume 143, Part 1. McGraw-Hill, 1949. p. 50. "C.+M.+Washington+Colored" See search page.
- ^ "Branch Locations and Contact." Lafourche Parish Library. Retrieved on November 28, 2018.