|Born||October 5, 1988|
|Known for||Yoga Girl|
Rachel Brathen (Swedish: Rachel Bråthén, IPA: [ˈrɑ̌ːkɛl brɔˈteːn]) is a Swedish yoga teacher, a pioneer of paddleboard yoga, and the founder of Island Yoga Aruba in the Caribbean. She is the author of the best-selling 2015 book Yoga Girl.
Rachel Brathen was born in Sweden on the 5th of October 1988. After graduating from secondary school, she went to Costa Rica to pursue yoga; she lived there for three years, doing yoga daily. In 2010 she travelled to Aruba for a holiday, meeting her future husband Dennis. She returned to Aruba to be with him; they now live there. She was one of the pioneers of Stand-Up Paddleboard Yoga (SUP Yoga); she started teaching it in 2009. She now includes it in all the events that she leads and at festivals such as Wanderlust around the world.
She is an internationally-known teacher of yoga as exercise She is the author of the book Yoga Girl, which became a New York Times best-seller in 2015, popularising the line "Yoga every damn day". "Yoga Girl" is also the name of Brathen's Instagram account.
Brathen founded a yoga studio called Island Yoga Aruba as well as the yoga video service oneOeight and the non-profit 109 World. In 2017, Forbes named Brathen on its list of the most important social media influencers in the fitness category, noting that Brathen can command a $25,000 fee per Instagram post. She is a certified Yoga influencer, with a score of 98 from the influencer marketing software Klear. Brathen launched a podcast in March 2017, which reached the iTunes charts. In 2019, she published an autobiography, To love and let go: a memoir of love, loss, and gratitude.
She speaks four languages, Swedish, English, Spanish and Papiamento (spoken on Aruba). She and her husband Dennis live on Aruba, where he administers her yoga business. They married in June 2014, and have a daughter.
- O'Riordan, Alison (12 September 2014). "The beach bum yogi who is bending all of the rules". Irish Independent. Retrieved 26 March 2022.
- Booth, Jessica (14 April 2015). "8 Yoga Tips I Learned From Taking Yoga Class With Yoga Girl, aka Rachel Brathen". Bustle. Retrieved 18 March 2017.
- Rudbäck, Johanna (14 February 2015). "Yoga girl: ingen har sett min riktiga yogaträning" [Yoga girl: nobody has seen my real yoga training]. SVT (in Swedish). Retrieved 3 July 2017.
- Nilsson, Linda-Marie (16 October 2015). "Yoga Girl om spriten: Jag drack för att döva" [Yoga Girl on spirits: I drank to shut it all out]. Expressen (in Swedish). Retrieved 3 July 2017.
- Nestor, Linda (28 April 2017). "Rachel Brathen "Yoga Girl" : Yoga är min krockkudde" [Rachel Brathen 'Yoga Girl' : Yoga is my crockery]. ToppHälsa (in Swedish). Retrieved 3 July 2017.
- Hannum, Claire (13 October 2016). "These Photos Of 'Yoga Girl' Rachel Brathen Practicing While Pregnant Are Absolutely Gorgeous". SELF. Retrieved 18 March 2017.
- Barnes, Zahra (22 July 2016). "Talking to Rachel Brathen, @yoga_girl, About Getting Political As A Wellness Guru". Self. Retrieved 18 March 2017.
- "Books: Best Sellers: Advice, How-To & Miscellaneous". The New York Times. 12 April 2015. Retrieved 11 April 2017.
- Tyzack, Anna (July 23, 2015). "Bad girl to Yoga Girl: How life changed for Instagram yoga sensation Rachel Brathen". The Daily Telegraph. Retrieved 18 March 2017.
- Callaghan, Anna (8 October 2014). "Meet Instagram's Rising Yoga Star". Outside. Retrieved 18 March 2017.
- "'Yoga Girl' Rachel Brathen: 'A Fight With My Husband Changed My Entire Life'". Women's Health. 30 January 2018. Retrieved 25 June 2018.
- Hurst, Samantha (9 September 2015). "International Yoga Teacher Rachel Brathen Captures Over $100,000 in 24 Hours on Kickstarter For New Online Platform "oneOeight"". Crowdfund Insider. Retrieved 18 March 2017.
- Olya, Gabrielle (12 October 2016). "'Yoga Girl' Rachel Brathen Loves Practicing at 20 Weeks Pregnant: 'It Keeps That Connection'". People. Retrieved 18 March 2017.
- "Rachel Brathen". Forbes. Retrieved 11 April 2017.
- "New Podcast! From the Heart - Rachel Brathen". Rachel Brathen. 31 March 2017. Retrieved 2017-04-21.
- Brathen, Rachel (2019). To love and let go: a memoir of love, loss, and gratitude. New York: Gallery Books. ISBN 978-1-78325-367-8. OCLC 1111945119.
- Finn, Clodagh (1 August 2015). "Yoga Girl Rachel Brathen talks happiness, balance and living with your heart". Irish Examiner. Retrieved 18 March 2017.
- Prafder, Erika (9 May 2017). "The Yoga of Childbirth: Rachel Brathen Shares Baby Lea Luna's Birth Story". Yoga Journal. Retrieved 15 May 2017.