Rachel Douglas-Home, 27th Baroness Dacre
Rachel Leila Douglas-Home, 27th Baroness Dacre (née Brand, 24 October 1929 – 25 December 2012) was an English peer, daughter of Thomas Brand, 4th Viscount Hampden & 26th Baron Dacre by his wife Leila Emily Seely, a granddaughter of Sir Charles Seely, 1st Baronet, and a great-great granddaughter of John Russell, 6th Duke of Bedford.
Lady Dacre was a great-granddaughter of William Montagu Douglas Scott, 6th Duke of Buccleuch and through him a direct descendant of Charles II of England.
The ancient English barony, created by writ of summons, fell into abeyance between her and her younger surviving sister (The Hon Mrs Ogilvie Thompson) upon her father's death in 1965 and was called out of abeyance in 1970 in favour of The Hon Mrs Douglas-Home, whilst the Hampden viscountcy passed to her uncle.
She married on 26 July 1951 The Hon William Douglas-Home, 3rd son of the 13th Earl of Home, and a younger brother of the 14th Earl of Home, better known as Sir Alec Douglas-Home, former Prime Minister of the United Kingdom.
Lady Dacre and her husband (who d. 1992) lived in Hampshire, had four children, all of whom and their descendants are in remainder to the Dacre barony:
- The Hon James Thomas Archibald Douglas-Home (16 May 1952 – 8 May 2014), 28th Baron Dacre, who married in 1979 Christine Stephenson. On his death their only child, Emily (b. 7 Feb 1983), became 29th Baroness Dacre.
- The Hon Sarah Douglas-Home (b. 4 July 1954), married in 1977 Nicholas Dent and has issue.
- The Hon Gian Leila Douglas-Home (b. 23 June 1958).
- The Hon Dinah Lilian Douglas-Home (b. 22 Jan 1964), married in 1989 Harry Marriott and has issue.
- "Rachel Leila "Baroness" DACRE Obituary: View Rachel DACRE's Obituary by The Times". Announcements.thetimes.co.uk. 2012-12-25. Retrieved 2013-01-02.
|Peerage of England|
Title last held byThomas Brand
|This biography of a baron or baroness in the Peerage of England is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|