|Born||January 9, 1983|
|Notable works||Girl, Wash Your Face |
Girl, Stop Apologizing
|Spouse||Dave Hollis (separated 2020)|
Rachel Hollis is an American author, motivational speaker and blogger. Her first self-help book Girl, Wash Your Face—since its release in February 2018—has maintained a spot in the top 10 best-selling books in the country for seven months, held the top spot for 12 of those weeks and has sold more than 880,000 copies in the United States. It was the second-most popular book of 2018 on Amazon.com.
Early life and education
After graduating high school, Hollis moved to Los Angeles, CA. Once there, she got a job at Miramax. While working there, she met her husband and founded an event-planning company called Chic Events.
Her breakthrough moment on social media came in March 2015, when an Instagram photo of her celebrating her stretch marks went viral. "I wear a bikini because I'm proud of this body and every mark on it. Those marks prove that I was blessed enough to carry my babies and that flabby tummy means I worked hard to lose what weight I could," she wrote in the post. It garnered more than 10 million views.
Hollis' book Girl, Wash Your Face is described by The Washington Post as mixing "memoir, motivational tips, Bible quotations and common-sense girl talk." The prevailing message of Girl, Wash Your Face is one largely of female self-reliance, summed up by Hollis as "You, and only you, are ultimately responsible for how happy you are."
Since the success of her book, Hollis and her family have moved outside of Austin, Texas. She frequently posts YouTube videos with motivational messages, and has garnered over 163,000 subscribers.
Hollis has been accused of plagiarizing quotes in her work, on her Instagram as well as in many of her motivational speeches by several publications. There are several instances of her using, claiming and rebranding titles from self-help and motivational bestselling books as well as quotes from influential figures not limited to Eleanor Roosevelt, Tim Hiller, Debra Condren and Terry Cole-Whitaker.
Rachel and Dave Hollis co-host a podcast titled RISE.
Rachel and Dave Hollis have four children together. They announced their separation in 2020.
- Italie, Leanne (2018-09-14). "'Girl, Wash Your Face' writer Rachel Hollis ready for more". AP NEWS. Retrieved 2018-11-09.
- Turner, Laura (2018-11-09). ""Girl, Wash Your Face" Is A Massive Best-Seller With A Dark Message". BuzzFeed News. Retrieved 2018-11-09.
- Damian, Kelly (2018-11-09). "Finding Fame: Event planner Rachel Hollis". The Bakersfield Californian. Retrieved 2018-11-09.
- Krug, Nora (2018-11-11). "Rachel Hollis has wooed millions of women with her book. What's her message?". Washington Post. Retrieved 2018-11-29.
- "Mom flaunts flab and stretch marks in viral bikini photo". TODAY.com. 2015-03-24. Retrieved 2018-11-29.
- Jones, Allie (12 March 2019). "The No-Nonsense Gospel of Rachel Hollis". The New York Times. Retrieved 29 April 2019.
- "Influencer Rachel Hollis Is Facing Accusations She Is Plagiarizing On Her Instagram". BuzzFeed News.
- Friedman, Zack (June 25, 2019). "Here Are 10 Podcasts To Change Your Life". Forbes. Retrieved 17 April 2020.
- Lowe, Lindsay (June 9, 2020). "Author Rachel Hollis announces she and her husband are ending their marriage". Today. Retrieved 9 June 2020.