This biography of a living person needs additional citations for verification. (October 2018) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
Rachel Maclean (born 1987) is a multi-media artist. Using film and photography, she creates outlandish characters and fantasy worlds which she uses to delve into politics, society and identity.
Wearing colourful costumes and make-up, Maclean takes on every role in her films herself. She uses computer technology to generate her locations, and borrows audio from television and cinema to construct narratives with a comedic touch
Maclean has had solo exhibitions at the Zabludowicz Collection, London (2014), Edinburgh Printmakers (2013), Collective Gallery, Edinburgh (2013), Trade Gallery, Nottingham (2013) and Generator Projects, Dundee (2012). In 2013, Maclean received the Margaret Tait Award for her contribution to Glasgow Film Festival and was shortlisted for the Film London Jarman Award. Her work has also been shown at the State Museum of Urban Sculpture, St Petersburg, Russia, Tramway, Glasgow, Kunstarkaden, Munich, Germany, Talbot Rice Gallery, Edinburgh, the Royal Scottish Academy, Edinburgh and as part of Glasgow International Festival. She has a BA in Drawing and Painting from Edinburgh College of Art.
Maclean was selected to represent Scotland in Venice at the 57th International Art Exhibition of the Venice Biennale, 2017. This solo presentation of new work centred on a major new film commission. The presentation is commissioned and curated by Alchemy Film & Arts in partnership with Talbot Rice Gallery and the University of Edinburgh.
- "Generation Rachel Maclean". Retrieved 5 March 2016.
- "British Art Show 8".
- Judah, Hettie (9 October 2015). "The British Art show: Testing the limits of exhibition boundaries". The Independent.
- Miller, Phil (11 May 2016). "Meet Rachel Maclean: The candy-coloured nightmare world of artist to represent Scotland at Venice 2017".
- Greenberger, Alex (10 May 2016). "Rachel Maclean will represent Scotland at the 2017 Venice Biennale". Art News.
- "RACHEL MACLEAN SELECTED TO REPRESENT SCOTLAND AT VENICE BIENNALE 2017". 9 May 2016.