Rachel de Queiroz
Rachel was born on 17 November 1910 in Fortaleza, capital of the northeastern state of Ceará. During her childhood, her family spent a couple of years in Rio de Janeiro and Belém before moving back to Fortaleza.
She began her career in journalism in 1927 under the pen name "Rita de Queiroz". She entered national spotlight with the unexpected success of her debut novel O Quinze in 1930. She published other three novels before moving to Rio, in 1939. She was also renowned for her crônicas, short topical newspaper pieces.
Her novel O Quinze was made into a film in 2004.
- (1930) O Quinze
- (1932) João Miguel
- (1937) O caminho das pedras
- (1939) As três Marias
- (1950) O galo de ouro
- (1992) Memorial de Maria Moura
- (1953) Lampião
- (1958) A Beata Maria do Egito
Collections of cronicas
- (1963) O brasileiro perplexo
- (1967) O caçador de tatu
- (1976) As menininhas e outras crônicas
- (1998) Tantos anos (co-authored with her sister, Maria Luíza)
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Rachel de Queiroz.|
- Biography at the Wayback Machine (archived October 26, 2009)
- Hope.edu Biography
- Rachel de Queiroz at the Internet Movie Database
|This article about a Brazilian writer or poet is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|