Rachelle Ann Go
|Rachelle Ann Go|
|Birth name||Rachelle Ann Villalobos Go|
|Also known as||Shin|
August 31, 1986 |
Pasig City, Metro Manila, Philippines
Rachelle Ann Villalobos Go (born August 31, 1986) is a Chinese Filipino who won in several singing contests, the first of which was in Eat Bulaga! at age eleven. She rose to fame when she emerged as the Grand Champion of the reality talent search Search for a Star in 2004. She has been managed by VIVA Artist Agency.
In July 2004, Go released her self-titled debut album with the singles "Love of My Life" and a remake of "Don't Cry Out Loud". It also includes her own cover version of Selena's "Dreaming of You". Since then, she has headlined concerts locally and internationally, recorded seven albums, which became certified gold and double platinum records.
Go is recognized as an international award singer, having won the Silver Prize award for her song, From The Start, at the Shanghai Music Festival 2005 and Best Own song, Isang Lahi, at the Astana International Song Festival 2005 in Kazakhstan, WhatsOnStage Award for Best Supporting Actress in a Musical, Broadway World UK Award for Best Featured Actress in a New Production of a Musical and Best Performance in a Long-Running West End Show and West End Frame Award for Best Performance In A Song.
Go has performed in musicals as well: her debut in The Little Mermaid, playing as the role of Ariel during 2011 - where she won a Best Actress award from Broadway World Philippine Awards; and another in 2013 for Tarzan, playing as the role of Jane Porter. Go's theater career continues as she was cast for the 2014 West End revival of the hit musical Miss Saigon, for the role of Gigi Van Tranh. Following this, She was cast for the 30th anniversary staging of "Les Miserables" to play the role of Fantine.
- 1 Early life
- 2 Music career
- 2.1 Eat Bulaga: "Birit Baby"
- 2.2 2003-2004: Search For A Star, Debut Album, Shanghai Music Festival
- 2.3 2005-2007: Various Projects
- 2.4 2008-2009: Rachelle Ann ROCKS Live! and Falling In Love Album and Concert
- 2.5 2010-2011: Transfer to GMA 7 Network, Unbreakable, The Little Mermaid Musical
- 2.6 2012-2013: RAG: Rise Against Gravity Concert, Miss Saigon Audition, Tarzan Musical
- 2.7 2014: Miss Saigon, Miss Rachelle: The Send Off Concert, International Breakthrough
- 2.8 2015: Disney Involvement, Les Miserables, International Activities
- 2.9 2016: Les Miserables Asian Tour, International Success
- 3 Albums
- 4 Filmography
- 5 Awards and nominations
- 6 References
- 7 External links
Rachelle Ann Go was born on August 31, 1986. She is the daughter of Mr. Oscar Go and Mrs. Russel Villalobos-Go. She is the eldest of four children. She studied Pre-school level to Secondary level at La Immaculada Concepcion School (L.I.C.S) in Pasig City. She was a choir member of the said school as well. Her two younger brothers also studied at La Immaculada Concepcion School (L.I.C.S), while her youngest sister is currently studying in the said school.
She took up International Business and Entrepreneurship program at San Beda College but had to stop because she joined Search for a Star in GMA 7. In 2008, Go passed the University of the Philippines OPEN University entrance exam and enrolled.
Eat Bulaga: "Birit Baby"
She joined and won several contests. Her television debut on Eat Bulaga!, a hit noontime variety show, happened when she was just eleven. She competed in the show's contest "Birit Baby" where young aspirants belt out vocally challenging songs, she sang Céline Dion's version of "All By Myself". She lost to Musica Cristobal in this competition thus getting the 1st runner up position.
2003-2004: Search For A Star, Debut Album, Shanghai Music Festival
In 2003, Go auditioned for a talent search show on GMA-7, Search for a Star. She passed the auditions and made it as one of the twelve finalists. On March 13, 2004, Go was announced as the grand champion singing her rendition of Mariah Carey's "Through the Rain". After the contest, she transfers to ABS-CBN. Several weeks from winning, she collaborated with Philippine rap group Salbakuta for a cover of the Laura Branigan 1980s hit "Gloria"; she then released it as a CD single and became an instant hit. Go performed the song with the group in the Malacañang Palace, alluding President Gloria Macapagal-Arroyo.
In July 2004, Go released her self-titled debut album with the singles "Love of My Life" and a remake of "Don't Cry Out Loud". It also includes her own cover version of Selena's "Dreaming of You"., She was then part of the Night Of The Champions U.S. Tour opposite Sarah Geronimo and Erik Santos. She then released a duet with Christian Bautista entitled "You And Me (We Wanted It All)". She is also under the management of VIVA Entertainment Group and is part of ABS-CBN, 'The Kapamilya Network'. She was involved in variety shows such as ASAP and ASAP Fanatic when she became part of Star Magic.
During November 2004, Go represented the Philippines in the Shanghai Music Festival where she placed as the silver-medalist for her rendition of a Vehnee Saturno-penned song, "From the Start", which won Best Song followed by an astonishing breakthrough in the 2004 Astana Song Festival as she took an award as silver awardee and for the Best Own Country Song for her version of the song, "Isang Lahi."
2005-2007: Various Projects
In November 2005, Go released her second album, I Care. At the same time, she co-hosted the second season of the reality show Search for the Star in a Million.The album reached Gold status selling 15,000 copies nationwide. The theme song included on the official soundtrack, "Perhaps Love" (Hangul: 사랑인가요, originally sung by J and Howl), was also translated into Tagalog as "Pag-ibig Nga Kaya" and performed by Christian Bautista and Rachelle Ann Go with permission from MBC. The show's finale was aired on April 10, 2007, with ABS-CBN airing the Princess Hours: The Royal Special for two days, April 11 and 12, with both Bautista and Go as hosts.
Early 2007, she released her third album entitled Obsession. Two singles were released: "Don' Say Goodbye" and "Alam ng Ating mga Puso". Also during this year, she and her ex-boyfriend, Christian Bautista, performed at the Aliw Theater for their You and Me Valentine Concert which was produced by ASAP Live!. They also had a world tour with the same title.
2008-2009: Rachelle Ann ROCKS Live! and Falling In Love Album and Concert
In April 2008, she released her fourth album under VIVA Records (also her first live album) entitled Rachelle Ann ROCKS Live!. The album reached Gold status after seven months. Her carrier single, Honestly, became an instant hit and she won the 3rd IFM Award for the Song of the Year and Favorite Female Performer.
In January 2009, she released her fifth album entitled Falling In Love under VIVA Records. It was awarded the Gold Certification by VIVA Music and PARI for outstanding sales of more than 15,000 units. Go also held a concert entitled "Rachelle Ann Go Falling In Love" at the Music Museum. Some guests are Mr. Martin Nievera, Mr. Gary and Gab Valenciano, Mr. Ogie Alcasid, Mr. Richard Poon and Co-Champion, Mr. Christian Bautista.
2010-2011: Transfer to GMA 7 Network, Unbreakable, The Little Mermaid Musical
On April 7, 2010, Go and her manager, Veronique del Rosario-Corpus of Viva Artist Agency, signed an exclusive contract at the GMA Network Center. Rachelle's first project with the Kapuso network is the Sunday musical-variety show Party Pilipinas, where she joined fellow Viva artist Mark Bautista.
For the second half of 2011, Go released her sixth album entitled Unbreakable, with "Masasabi Mo Ba" as the first single and her own composition, "Whispered Fear" as her second single. She also appeared in the GMA 7 drama series Nita Negrita, as Amanda. She was also able to be a mentor in Protégé: The Battle For The Big Break, reality-based singing talent show. Go debuted musical theatre as Ariel in The Little Mermaid, for which she won a Best Actress award from Broadway World Philippine Awards.
2012-2013: RAG: Rise Against Gravity Concert, Miss Saigon Audition, Tarzan Musical
In 2012, produced a solo concert "RAG Rise Against Gravity" with special guests Regine Velasquez-Alcasid, Sarah Geronimo and Christian Bautista. It was held at Music Museum. She also auditioned and make it to the final round of Miss Saigon audition as the lead role Kim. She took the role Lara in the musical drama series Biritera of GMA 7.
In 2013, Go played Jane in the Tarzan musical, which ran from June 14 until July 7 at Meralco Theater, Pasig City. She portrayed the role Libulan (Diwata ng Buwan) in Indio. During June, Go will join the cast of SAS (Sunday All Stars).
2014: Miss Saigon, Miss Rachelle: The Send Off Concert, International Breakthrough
Go was selected for a major role in the 2014 West End revival of Miss Saigon. She will play the role of the disillusioned Gigi Van Tranh by May 2014 when the musical opens at the Prince Edward Theatre in London. Go will sing one of the show’s most notable songs, "The Movie In My Mind". Before flying off to London to play the role of Gigi in the restaging of the hit musical "Miss Saigon". Go held a two and a half-hour send off concert entitled Miss Rachelle: The Send Off Concert with special guests Erik Santos, Christian Bautista, Mark Bautista, Sheryn Regis, Jimmy Marquez and Regine Velasquez-Alcasid. The concert also commemorated Go’s 10th anniversary in the entertainment industry.
Go guested on UK-based television and radio presenter and actress, Gaby Roslin's radio show on BBC-London together with the BRIT Award-winning classical singing group Blake. Rachelle recorded the duet with Blake as part of the group's album released in October. The album was released in UK, Australia, Korea & South Africa.
Rachelle was hailed by Pocket Size Theatre Blog as one of the 15 Hottest Women in London's West End.Rachelle is the only Asian singer-actress featured in the said list which includes established theatre names such as Samantha Barks (Les Misérables in West End and in the movie adaptation) and Kerry Ellis (Wicked).
Go, together with big names in London's West End gathered together in a concert entitled The Philippine Dream a benefit concert for Filipino children at the Leicester Hall in London, UK on August 17, 2014. She once again delivered a show-stopping performance at the said concert.
Go performed a duet with Lea Salonga for a special gala performance of the musical “Miss Saigon”. They sang “The Movie in My Mind”, eliciting cheers and a standing ovation from the audience. The gala performance was broadcast on BBC Radio 2.
Go has won the Best Featured Actress award for her role as Gigi Van Tranh in Miss Saigon at the Broadway World UK/West End Awards.
Go appeared on stage with West End cast of “Miss Saigon” during Royal Variety Performance aired via ITV, a UK commercial network. One Direction, Bette Midler, Shirley Bassey, Ed Sheeran, Demi Lovato and Ellie Goulding also performed during the event and was attended by Prince William and Kate Middleton.
2015: Disney Involvement, Les Miserables, International Activities
On February 19, 2015, Go and the rest of the stars of the hit musical “Miss Saigon” showed off their cooking skills in a recent shoot for the magazine of celebrity chef Jamie Oliver, an English celebrity chef, restaurateur, and media personality known for his food-focused television shows, cookbooks and more recently his global campaign for better food education.
In March 2015, Go became the cover girl of Aura Magazine, a new Filipino magazine which showcases the Philippines and the culture of its people. The magazine is available in the United Kingdom and the team is also looking into distributing the magazine in Spain, Germany and Ireland.
Go sang the song “A Dream is a Wish Your Heart Makes,” in line with the release of the live-action film of Cinderella. Disney chose Rachelle to perform the song, saying that she embodied the values of Cinderella.The music video of “A Dream is a Wish Your Heart Makes” premiered on Disney Channel and Disney Channel Asia YouTube Channel on Saturday, March 7. She also promoted the movie in the Philippines.
In 2015, It was also announced that Go has been announced as the new Fantine in the 30th anniversary staging of "Les Miserables" in London and will start on June 15 at the Queen's Theatre. The role were also portrayed by Lea Salonga on the 25th anniversary concert and Anne Hathaway on the movie. Rachelle received a standing ovation from the audience on the first night.
Go performed the song "I Dreamed A Dream" from "Les Miserables" at West End Live 2015, an outdoor presentation of songs from popular musicals at Trafalgar Square in London. A huge crowd erupted into cheers when she effortlessly belted out the song's high notes.
On August 2, 2015, Go together with some of the West End's biggest stars joined forces with celebrities and footballers for an event to raise money for the MAD Trust and Macmillan Cancer Support in the Les Mis V Phantom charity football match.They performed during the pre-match concert. She belted out Sia’s “Chandelier” and Jessie J, Ariana Grande and Nicki Minaj’s “Bang Bang.”The audience erupted into cheers every time Go hit the high notes without exerting much effort. Go and the other performers have raised around £12,000 in a charity football match between the two shows.
Go is taking a break from the Les Mis spotlight to record a song for GMA Pinoy TV. As a Filipina breaking ground abroad, GMA thought Rachelle was the perfect singer for the theme song. "Kapuso, Anumang Kulay ang Buhay" will be released worldwide, in line with the 10th anniversary celebration of GMA International.
It has been announced that Go will play as Fantine in Asian Tour of Les Misérables. The production will open in Manila in March 2016. The cast will include Earl Carpenter and Simon Gleeson who are all currently starring in different productions of Les Mis around the world.
Go joined the acclaimed songwriter Scott Alan for his two-week residency at The Hippodrome Casino. Joined by special guests Rob Houchen, Bradley Jaden, Hunter Ryan Herdlicka, Britains Got Talent Winner Collabro and AJ Rafael, Go sang Alan’s extensive songbook in a night filled with heartfelt songs and the stories behind them.
Rachelle Ann Go performs "I Knew You Were Waiting (For Me)" with Rob Houchen, who currently plays Marius in London's LES MISERABLES, at the recent The Make A Difference Trust's charity cabaret.
2016: Les Miserables Asian Tour, International Success
For representing the Philippines [in the London theater scene, Go is recognized as one of Rexona's 50 Motion Sense Pinoy Movers.
Go showcased Filipino talent at the ASEAN Tourism Forum 2016.
On January 23, 2016, Creamsilk Philippines presented Rachelle Ann Go as one of their new ambassadors at the World Trade Center, Pasay City.
Go and the other artists under Cornerstone Entertainment joined forces in a new music video. The stars are featured in the music video for the song "Tara Tena", which aims to help give listeners the right attitude towards participating in the upcoming elections.The full music video premiered on MYX.
Go will be part of the film adaptation of Miss Saigon 25th Anniversary London production produced by Mackintosh and Universal, is set to be screened worldwide in theaters on October 16 before receiving a digital and DVD release. .
On March 11, 2016, Go started to wow her fellow Filipinos for her portrayal of Fantine in Les Misérables Manila at "The Theater", at Solaire. She returned to London in June of same year to continue her portrayal as Fantine at West End.
Go was featured in People Asia Magazine as one of the Filipinas who made history joining the ranks of Loida Nicolas-Lewis, Cory Aquino, Lisa Macuja, KC Concepcion, Lea Salonga, Gloria Diaz and Monique Lhuillier.
Go, together with Sarah Geronimo, was the cover of Mega Magazine for the month of June recognizing her international achievements and contribution to the new generation.
Go, together with Jacklyn Jose and Pia Wurtchbach, is a Global Pinoy Awardee for 2016 given by Mega Magazine.
In June 2016, Jollibee announced that Go is one of the pinoys that we should be proud of. Accordingly, Go will form part of the list of Jollibee endorsers.
Go, Fil-American Eva Noblezada and the rest of the “Les Miserables” cast gave a rousing performance during the 2016 West End Live event in London held over the weekend. Go and Noblezada started with a beautiful mash-up of “I Dreamed a Dream” and “On My Own.” They play the roles of Fantine and Eponine, respectively.
Go was awarded by West End Theater the Best performance of a song for her rendition of Les Misérables' "I Dreamed a Dream".
On November 11, 2016, at the Smart Araneta Coliseum, Go was set to have a concert with Yeng Constantino, KZ Tandingan, Angeline Quinto and Kyla titled DIVAS Live in Manila, however, she dropped out due to scheduling conflicts with a new project.
Go was featured on Yes Magazine's Most Beautiful Stars 2016 edition.
In July 27, Go performed during Hillsong Conference Europe 2016 at O2 Arena in London.
Studio Album 
|Year||Title||Role||Studio||Notes and Awards|
|2012||Of All The Things||Herself||
||cameo appearance singing the song "Of All The Things"|
|Year||Title||Role||Studio||Notes and Awards|
|2014||The Heat Is Back On: The Remaking Of Miss Saigon||Gigi||
|1998||Eat Bulaga! (Birit Baby)||GMA Network||Herself / Contestant / Runner-up|
|2004||Search for a Star||Herself|
|SOP Rules||Herself / Performer|
|Star In A Million||Herself / Host|
|2006||Your Song (If You Walk Away)||Joanne|
|2007||Princess Hours: The Royal Special||Herself with Christian Bautista|
|MYX||Herself as MYX Celebrity VJ of the Month|
|Bench: Choose Your Color Fashion Show||Herself|
|2009||Your Song: Exchange of Hearts||Camille with Gabriel Valenciano|
|MYX||Herself as MYX Celebrity VJ for the Month of January|
|2010-2013||Party Pilipinas||GMA Network||Herself / Performer|
|Puso ng Pasko: Artista Challenge||Herself (Challenger)|
|Charice: Home for Valentine's||Guest|
|Protégé: The Battle For The Big Break||Herself / Mentor|
|2013||Indio||Libulan (Diwata ng Buwan)|
|Sunday All Stars||Herself / Performer|
|The Ryzza Mae Show||Guest|
|2011||The Little Mermaid||Ariel|
|2013||Tarzan||Jane Porter |
|2014-2015||Miss Saigon||Gigi Van Tranh|
Awards and nominations
- Silver Medalist (as Interpreter)- Astana Song Festival
- First Prize in the Best Own Country Song “Isang Lahi” (with Vehnee Saturno) – Astana Song Festival
- Silver Medalist (as Interpreter) – Shanghai Song Festival 2005
- Best Song for “From The Start” – Shanghai Song Festival 2005
- BroadwayWorld UK/West End Awards. She won "Best Featured Actress in a New Production of a Musical" for her ongoing portrayal of Gigi Van Tranh in the 2014 West End revival of "Miss Saigon".
- "Best Supporting Actress in a Musical" award from the 15th Annual WhatsOnStage Awards for her role as Gigi Van Tranh in the 25th Anniversary Revival of Miss Saigon - Musical".
- "BroadwayWorld UK/West End Awards. "Best Performance in a Long-Running West End show (Female) for her role Fantine in Les Miserables!".
- "Best Performance Of A Song 2016" for her rendition of "I Dreamed A Dream" from Les Misérables Musical, West End Production for her ongoing portrayal as "Fantine". Award given by the West End Frame Poll Awards".
- Grand Champion – Search for a Star 2004
- Paganda ng Paganda ang Boses! (Special Prize) – Search for A Star 2004
- Best Major Concert Performer 2004 – Aliw Awards Inc.
- Gold Record Award for Yo! Gloria Album
- Best Female Artist – MTV Pilipinas Music Awards 2005
- Female Top Star Entertainer – National Consumer Quality 2005
- Most Promising Female Singer – “Guillermo Mendoza Memorial Foundation”
- Most Outstanding Pasigueño Awardee in 2005
- Winner- 1st ASAP Platinum Circle 2005
- Platinum Record Award for Rachelle Ann Go (Self-Titled Album)
- Double Platinum Record Award for Rachelle Ann Go (Self-Titled Album)
- People’s Choice for Favorite Female Artist – Awit Awards 2006
- Favorite Mellow Video for “From the Start” – First MYX Music Awards 2006
- Most Outstanding Pasigueño Awarde in 2006
- Gold Record Award for I Care Album
- Platinum Record Award for Rachelle Ann Go (Limited Edition, Repackaged, Self-Titled Album)
- Favorite Female Artist – MYX Music Awards 2007
- POP Female Artist – 2nd ASAP POP Viewers Choice Awards 2007
- POP Kapamilya TV Themesong “Pag-Ibig na Kaya?” (Princess Hours) by Rachelle Ann Go & Christian Bautista. – 2nd ASAP POP Viewers Choice Awards 2007
- Female Top Star Entertainer of the Year”- 26th Annual Year-end Consumers Awards and Expo 2007
- Favorite Song in a duet “Pag-Ibig Na Kaya?” with Christian Bautista – 1st OPM Songhits Awards
- Best Mellow Video “Alam ng Ating Mga Puso” – Myx Music Awards 2008
- Best Collaboration with Christian Bautista “Pag-ibig Na Kaya?” – Myx Music Awards 2008
- Gold Record Award for Rachelle Ann Rocks Live Album
- ASAP’08 24K Gold Record Awardee for Rachelle Ann Rocks Live Album
- ASAP’08 24K Gold Record Awardee for “GV 25: An All-Star Tribute”
- 3rd iFM Pinoy Music Awards Best Song by a Female Performer: “Honestly”
- 3rd iFM Pinoy Music Awards Song of the Year: “Honestly”
- Revival Album of the Year, 1st PMPC Star Awards for Music
- Female Star of the Night, 1st PMPC Star Awards for Music
- Pop Female Performance in a Music Video – 2009 ASAP POP Viewers’ Choice Awards
- Pop Female Artist – 2009 ASAP POP Viewers’ Choice Awards
- Best RnB for “Paano” – 22nd Awit Awards (PARI)
- Gold Record Award for Rachelle Ann Falling In Love Album
- ASAP’09 24K Gold Record Awardee for Rachelle Ann Falling In Love Album
- ASAP Platinum Circle Compilation Awardee 2009 “GV 25: An All-Star Tribute”
- MAXIM’s 25 Hottest Women In Music – #8 spot
- 1st Most Liked Awards Most Liked Diva: Party Pilipinas
- Best Actress (Musical) 2012 Broadway World Philippine Awards: Disney's The Little Mermaid Theatrical
- 1st Sunday All Stars Awards = Stand Out Singer = (winner)
- NCCA's Ani ng Dangal Awards in the Field of Dramatic Arts
- Global Pinoy Awardee by Mega magazine
- Global Pinoy Mover by Rexona
- Pinoy Pride awardee by Jollibee
- "The Little Mermaid's Rachelle Ann Go Produces Own Concert". Entertainment. Philippines Broadway World.
- "Rachelle Ann Go". Bio. Star Count.
- "Rachelle Ann Go moves 2008". Entertainment. Phil Star.
- Search for a Star
- ASAP (variety show)#ASAP Live
- / http://www.gmanetwork.com/news/story/449273/showbiz/chikaminute/watch-rachelle-ann-go-sings-theme-for-new-cinderella-film
- http://news.abs-cbn.com/entertainment/09/02/16/rachelle-ann-go-no-longer-part-of-divas-concert. Missing or empty
- "Rachelle Ann Go". Viva.com.ph. Retrieved 2010-02-06.
- Nel Alejandrino (June 20, 2012). "Another Aga-Regine movie in the offing". Journal Online.
- "Rachelle Anne Go, bida na sa 'The Little Mermaid'". Abante. May 19, 2011. Retrieved 2011-11-09.
- Panaligan, Jojo P. (2011-05-20). "Erik, Rachelle Ann venture into theater via 'The Little Mermaid'". mb.com. Retrieved 2011-11-09.
- "Rachelle Ann Go and Erik Santos topbill 'The Little Mermaid'". The Philippine Star. May 23, 2011. Retrieved 2011-11-09.