Rachelle Vinberg (born August 27, 1998) is an American skateboarder and actress. She is best known for starring as Camille, a fictionalized version of herself, in the film Skate Kitchen and the TV series Betty inspired by the real group of female skaters she is a part of.
Early life and education
Vinberg was born in Long Island, New York, to divorced parents, a Colombian mother and an American father. She has an older brother and a younger brother. As of 2018, Vinberg was a sophomore at Brooklyn College, where she was majoring in film.
Vinberg learned to ollie the summer before she turned 12, taught by an older cousin. Vinberg continued learning tricks by watching YouTube and started skating with the boys in her neighborhood. Vinberg befriended Nina Moran over YouTube and the two started skating together in NYC. While in NYC, Vinberg and Moran met Crystal Moselle. Moselle shot a 13-minute film with Vinberg, Moran and several of their friends titled “That One Day,” which was then reworked and expanded into the feature film, “Skate Kitchen.”
Vinberg was skating at LES Skatepark when a casting director approached her to appear in “A Perfect Day” a Samsung commercial with Cary Fukunaga. In 2018, Vinberg played Camille in Crystal Moselle's film Skate Kitchen. Vinberg stars in the HBO produced series Betty, based on the Skate Kitchen film.
|Denotes films that have not yet been released|
|2016||That One Day||Rachelle||Crystal Moselle||Short film|
|2018||Skate Kitchen||Camille||Crystal Moselle|
- Fischer, Molly (2018-08-07). "The Story Starts When She Falls". The Cut. Retrieved 2019-10-28.
- Radish, Christina (2018-08-19). "'Skate Kitchen' Newcomer Rachelle Vinberg on How Her Instagram Page Became the Basis for a Movie". Collider. Retrieved 2019-10-28.
- Dazed (2018-04-24). "Vote for Rachelle Vinberg on the #Dazed100". Dazed. Retrieved 2019-10-28.
- "Rachelle Vinberg's Relationship With Her Strict Colombian Mom Inspired 'Skate Kitchen'". Remezcla. 2018-08-10. Retrieved 2019-10-28.
- Evans, Russell (2017-10-03), "48-Hour Film Schedule: Make a 5-Minute Film in 48 Hours", Stand-Out Shorts, Routledge, pp. 278–282, doi:10.4324/9781351224345-54, ISBN 9781351224345
- "Right Where They Belong: An interview with Rachelle Vinberg of "Skate Kitchen"". www.adolescent.net. Retrieved 2019-10-28.
- "Report: HBO adapting 'Skate Kitchen'; LIer reprising role". Newsday. Retrieved 2019-10-28.