Promotional poster for Racing Dreams
|Directed by||Marshall Curry|
|Produced by||Marshall Curry, Bristol Baughan|
|Written by||Marshall Curry|
|Starring||Annabeth Barnes, Josh Hobsen, Brandon Warren|
|Cinematography||Marshall Curry, Peter Gordon, Wolfgang Held, Alan Jacobsen|
|Edited by||Marshall Curry, Matthew Hamachek, Mary Manhardt|
Racing Dreams is a 2009 documentary film directed by Marshall Curry following two boys and a girl through a season of World Karting Association (WKA) racing as they compete and aspire to become professional NASCAR drivers.
Racing Dreams was produced by Bristol Baughan and Marshall Curry, and executive produced by Dwayne Johnson, Jack Turner, Dany Garcia (White Buffalo Entertainment) and Ben Goldhirsh (Good Inc.). The film opened in theaters in select cities May 2010, distributed by Hannover House with marketing support by NASCAR Entertainment.
|This article needs an improved plot summary. (November 2015)|
The film centers on racers Annabeth Barnes (11 years old), Josh Hobson (12), and Brandon Warren (13) during a single season of WKA racing, where success can lead to sponsorships and a NASCAR career. All three face challenges off the track as well as on as they come of age in the surprisingly high-pressure world of go-kart racing.
Racing Dreams won Best Documentary at the 2009 Tribeca Film Festival, where it was also runner up for the Audience Award. The film received a 100% fresh rating from Rotten Tomatoes. The film was called "The best film of the year," by the Los Angeles Times ("The Envelope") and "Absorbing… one of the rare documentaries you leave wishing it was a little longer, " by The New York Times.
- Tribeca Film Festival, Best Documentary (winner)
- Nashville Film Festival, Best Documentary (winner)
- Florida Film Festival, Audience Award for Best Documentary Feature (winner)
- Indianapolis Film Festival, Audience Award (winner)
- Chicago International Film Festival, Silver Hugo Award (winner)
- Jacksonville Film Festival, Best Documentary (winner)
- Brian Brooks, "IndieWire", April 8, 2010, "http://www.variety.com/article/VR1118014267.html?categoryid=10&cs=1"
- Tatiana Siegel,"Variety", January 25, 2010, "http://www.variety.com/article/VR1118014267.html?categoryid=10&cs=1"
- Holden, Stephan. “Too Young for Driver’s Licenses, but With Full-Throttle Ambitions.” New York Times. Accessed on August 4, 2010.
- O'Neil, Tom. "Tribeca Film Festival Awards". LA Times. Retrieved 14 May 2015.
- "Racing Dreams (2010)". Rotten Tomatoes. Retrieved 19 May 2015.
- "Too Young for Driver's Licenses, but With Full-Throttle Ambitions". The New York Times. Retrieved 14 May 2015.
- Itzkoff, Dave. "Tribeca Film Festival Names Prizewinners". NY Times.
- Ridley, Jim. "Hipsters,' 'The Colonel's Bride,' 'Racing Dreams,' Van Peebles Cop Prizes at NaFF". Nashville Scene. Retrieved 14 May 2015.
- Knegt, Peter. ""Winter's Bone," "Flag" Top Florida Fest Winners". Indiewire. Retrieved 14 May 2015.
- Mandel, Nora Lee. "Racing Dreams". Film-Forward. Retrieved 14 May 2015.
- "Racing Dreams Awards". IMDB. Retrieved 14 May 2015.
- "Racing Dreams". International Cinema US. Retrieved 14 May 2015.