Vertem Futurity Trophy
|Group 1 race|
|Race type||Flat / Thoroughbred|
|Sponsor||Vertem Asset Management|
|Distance||1 mile (1,609 metres)|
|Weight||9 st 1 lb|
3 lb for fillies
|Magna Grecia||Phoenix Of Spain||Western Australia|
The Vertem Futurity Trophy is a Group 1 flat horse race in Great Britain open to two-year-old thoroughbred colts and fillies. It is run at Doncaster over a distance of 1 mile (1,609 metres), and it is scheduled to take place each year in late October.
The Observer started to support the event in 1965. The present grading system was introduced in 1971, and the Observer Gold Cup was classed at Group 1 level.
The bookmaker William Hill took over the sponsorship in 1976, and from this point the event was known as the Futurity Stakes. From 1989 to 2017 the race was sponsored by the Racing Post and run as the Racing Post Trophy.
The race was given its current title in 2018, when Vertem Asset Management became the sponsor. The Vertem Futurity Trophy is now the last Group 1 event of the British flat racing season.
Leading jockey (5 wins):
- Lester Piggott – Ribocco (1966), Noble Decree (1972), Apalachee (1973), Dunbeath (1982), Lanfranco (1984)
- Pat Eddery – Sporting Yankee (1976), Dactylographer (1977), Beldale Flutter (1980), Reference Point (1986), Armiger (1992)
Leading trainer (10 wins):
- Henry Cecil – Approval (1969), Take Your Place (1975), Hello Gorgeous (1979), Dunbeath (1982), Lanfranco (1984), Reference Point (1986), Be My Chief (1989), Peter Davies (1990), Armiger (1992), King's Theatre (1993)
Leading owner (8 wins): (includes part ownership)
- Sue Magnier – Aristotle (1999), High Chaparral (2001), Brian Boru (2002), St Nicholas Abbey (2009), Camelot (2011), Kingsbarns (2012), Saxon Warrior (2017), Magna Grecia (2018)
- Horse racing in Great Britain
- List of British flat horse races
- Recurring sporting events established in 1961 – this race is included under its original title, Timeform Gold Cup.
- Racing Post:
- galopp-sieger.de – Racing Post Trophy.
- horseracingintfed.com – International Federation of Horseracing Authorities – Racing Post Trophy (2018).
- pedigreequery.com – Futurity Stakes – Doncaster.
- pedigreequery.com – Racing Post Trophy – Doncaster.
- Abelson, Edward; Tyrrel, John (1993). The Breedon Book of Horse Racing Records. Breedon Books. p. 221. ISBN 1-873626-15-0.