Racism in Finland
A 2011 poll shows that 66% of Finnish respondents considered Finland to be a racist country but only 14% admitted to being racists themselves. Minority groups getting the most negative attitudes were Finnish Kale, Somalis and ethnic groups mostly consisting of Muslims.
In December 2012 the Finnish Police reported an increase in cases of racism and related physical abuse. In February 2013 researchers of racism and multiculturalism reported an increase in the number of threats and abuse. In January 2013 Save the Children reported that immigrant children are facing an increasing amount of racist abuse. In June 2011 a researcher reported an increase in the amount of racist violence targeting children and teenagers.
According to European Commission against Racism and Intolerance (ECRI) of the Council of Europe, neither the Ombudsman for Minorities nor Advisory Board for Ethnic Relations have the financial and human resources to effectively perform according to their mandate. There is a National Non-Discrimination and Equality Tribunal, but it cannot order compensation to victims of racial discrimination. The legal provisions of the Aliens' Act are discriminatory and subject ethnic minorities to racial profiling by the police.
The majority of people in Finland are ignorant about issues concerning the Sami minority. Sami issues are not taught at school to a satisfactory level, according to ECRI. ECRI has criticized Finland for not having ratified the ILO-convention 169 on Indigenous and Tribal Peoples.
- "Poll: Majority of Finns see Finland as racist country". Helsingin Sanomat. Archived from the original on 11 February 2013.
- "Police report: Increase in racism and abuse". Yle Uutiset. Retrieved 17 June 2015.
- "Unions concerned over abuse of racism researchers". Yle Uutiset. Retrieved 17 June 2015.
- "Immigrant children face racism". Yle Uutiset. Retrieved 17 June 2015.
- "Racism increasingly aimed at children and teens". Yle Uutiset. Retrieved 17 June 2015.
- Council of Europe 2013, p. 7.
- Council of Europe 2013, p. 8.
- Council of Europe (9 July 2013). "ECRI Report on Finland (Fourth Monitoring Cycle)" (PDF). Retrieved 2016-08-05.
|This Finland-related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
|This article about ethnicity or ethnology is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|