Radha Charan Gupta
Radha Charan Gupta
|Alma mater||University of Lucknow, Ranchi University|
|Awards||Kenneth O. May Prize (2009)|
|Fields||History of mathematics|
|Institutions||Birla Institute of Technology, Mesra|
|Doctoral advisor||T.A. Sarasvati Amma|
Early life of Radha Charan Gupta
Gupta graduated from the University of Lucknow, where he made his bachelor's degree in 1955 and his master's degree in 1957. He earned his Ph.D. in the history of mathematics from Ranchi University in 1971. He did his dissertation work at Ranchi University with the historian of Indian mathematics T.A. Sarasvati Amma. Then he served as a lecturer at Lucknow Christian College (from 1957 to 1958) and in 1958 he joined Birla Institute of Technology, Mesra. In 1982 he was awarded a full professorship. He retired in 1995 as the Emeritus Professor of the history of mathematics and logic. He became a corresponding member of the International Academy of the History of Science in February 1995.
In 1969 Gupta addressed interpolation in Indian mathematics. He wrote on Govindasvamin and his interpolation of sine tables. Furthermore, he contributed an article on the work of Paramesvara: "Paramesvara's rule for the circumradius of a cyclic quadrilateral".
In 1991 he was elected a Fellow of the National Academy of Sciences, India, and in 1994 he became President of the Association of Mathematics Teachers of India. In 1979 he founded the magazine Ganita Bharati.
- Awarding of the K.O. May Prize from International Mathematical Union
- "Radha-Charan Gupta". International Academy of the History of Science.
- R.C Gupta (1969) "Second Order of Interpolation of Indian Mathematics", Indian Journal of History of Science 4: 92-94
- R.C. Gupta (1977) Historia Mathematica 4(1): 67–74 doi:10.1016/0315-0860(77)90038-6
- Rajendra Bhatia (2010). Proceedings of the International Congress of Mathematicians, v.I, Volume 1. World Scientific. p. 42. ISBN 9789814324359.
- IANS (8 July 2010). "Indian professor wins prestigious mathematics prize". Deccan Herald. Retrieved 18 November 2018.
- "Radha Gupta Will Receive Kenneth O. May Prize at ICM 2010". Mathematical Association of America. Retrieved 12 July 2010.
- "Indian professor chosen for prestigious mathematics prize". Hindustan Times. Retrieved 8 July 2010.
- "First Indian to get Prize in !CM2010" (PDF).