From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
|Look up radiation in Wiktionary, the free dictionary.|
Radiation is a process in which a body emits energy that propagates through a medium, or through empty space, to be absorbed by other bodies. Radiation may also refer to:
- Electromagnetic radiation, radiation that takes the form of a self-propagating wave of electric and magnetic fields, including such phenomena as radio waves and visible light
- Gravitational radiation, radiation that takes the form of gravitational waves, or ripples in the curvature of spacetime.
- Ionizing radiation, radiation that is of high enough energy to cause atoms to lose or gain electrons, rendering molecules, such as proteins, incapable of functioning
- Nuclear radiation, radiation, especially ionizing radiation, that emanates from nuclear processes such as radioactive decay
- Thermal radiation, electromagnetic radiation that emanates from every object above absolute zero, in proportion to the fourth power of the temperature of the object
- Synchrotron radiation, also called a synchrotron light source, electromagnetic radiation generated by the acceleration of fast moving charged particles through magnetic fields
- Radiation therapy, also called radiotherapy, a medical treatment that involves exposing part or all of the body to a controlled amount of ionizing radiation
- Radiation poisoning, a form of damage to organ tissue due to excessive exposure to ionizing radiation
- Radiation, characteristics of an affliction, such as pain, to spread to other parts of the body than the origin
- Evolutionary radiation, a diversification into several lineages from a common ancestor
- Adaptive radiation, an evolutionary radiation to fill many ecological niches
- Intentional radiator, radio waves that are produced by an electronic device as a necessary part of its function, such as those produced by a radio transmitter
- Unintentional radiator, undesirable radio waves that are produced by an electronic device, such as a computer or video game console, as a consequence of its design
Music and arts
- Radiation (album), released in 1998, the tenth studio album by the British progressive rock band Marillion
- Roddy Radiation, stage name of Roddy Byers (born 1955), English musician
- A pseudonym of Toby Fox, composer for the webcomic Homestuck and creator of the video game Undertale
- "Radiation", a 1997 song by Feeder, from the album Polythene
|This disambiguation page lists articles associated with the title Radiation.
If an internal link led you here, you may wish to change the link to point directly to the intended article.