Radio Killa Records
This article needs additional citations for verification. (April 2014) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
|Radio Killa Records|
|Parent company||Universal Music Group|
|Founder||Terius Youngdell Nash|
|Distributor(s)||Def Jam Recordings|
(Universal Music Distribution)
|Country of origin||United States|
Radio Killa Records is an American record label created by singer-songwriter/producer The-Dream. The label operates as an imprint of, and is distributed through, Def Jam Recordings. The-Dream is the CEO of the label, responsible for choosing all the singles released by its artists.
The-Dream signed a deal with Def Jam Recordings in 2007, following the success of Rihanna's 2007 hit "Umbrella", which he wrote and produced with production partner Christopher "Tricky" Stewart. That year, he also completed his debut studio album Love Hate, which was the debut release of the label. The-Dream has since released his second studio album, Love vs. Money, with his third, Love King, released in June 2010.
In 2008, the then-Executive Vice President of Def Jam Recordings Shakir Stewart, organized a meeting for Electrik Red with The-Dream and Tricky Stewart, who cosigned Electrik Red to Radio Killa. The-Dream and Stewart then became the group's executive producers for their debut album How to Be a Lady: Volume 1, which was released on May 26, 2009.
In an arrangement with chairman and CEO of Interscope Records, Jimmy Iovine, The-Dream was allowed to choose several artists to work with from the label's roster. The-Dream chose to work with Christina Milian on her fourth studio album Elope, among others. They collaborated in early 2009 and soon after he signed Milian to Radio Killa Records. The-Dream said that when he was building his label, he chose to work with Milian because he believed she was a talented singer. He said "it was one of these things where [when] you try to grow an artist, you can either grow them from the ground or you can come in and say, 'This artist needs this, that's all.' And that part of me I have, which is what she didn't have."
- Electrik Red
- How to Be a Lady: Volume 1 (2009)
- August Alsina
- Downtown: Life Under the Gun (2013)
- "The-Dream Spreads The 'Love' On New Album". Billboard. Retrieved 2010-05-24.
- "The-Dream Named EVP At Island Records". Rap-Up. 2009-08-28. Retrieved 2010-05-24.
- "Christina Milian in a 'League of her Own' on New Album". Rap-Up. 2009-10-08. Retrieved 2010-05-24.
- Cordor, Cyril; Kellman, Andy. "The-Dream Biography". Allmusic. Retrieved 2008-09-18.
- Shepherd, Julianne Escobedo (February 2009). "Do you think I'm a nasty girl? With super sexuality and deep swagger, R&B BFFs Electrik Red bust heads... and give hugs". The Fader. pp. 1–2. Archived from the original on October 15, 2010. Retrieved 2009-04-12.
- "Soul Rebel Speaks to Electrik Red: "It's Okay If You're Not A Stepford Wife"". SOHH. March 26, 2009. Archived from the original on March 30, 2009. Retrieved 2009-04-10.
- Rodriguez, Jayson (2009-01-29). "The-Dream Calls Rumors About His Relationship With Christina Milian 'Real Cute'". MTV. Retrieved 2010-05-24.
- "Christina Milian Changes Album Title to Elope". Rap-Up. 2009-03-02.
- Washington, Jessica. "Christina Milian Signs with The-Dream's Radio Killa Records". Rap-Up. Retrieved 2009-02-17.
- Miller, Brian (March 9, 2009). "The-Dream Defends His Girl Christina Milian". RapRadar.com. Archived from the original on 2009-03-12. Retrieved 2009-03-14.