Radisson Hotel Group
|Radisson Hotel Group|
|private (owns a listed subsidiary)|
|Headquarters||701 Carlson Parkway, |
Number of locations
|115 countries and territories (2018)|
|Owner||Jin Jiang and others|
Number of employees
|more than 14,000 (2018)|
Radisson Hospitality, Inc. trading as Radisson Hotel Group, is an American multi-national hospitality group. The company started as a division of Carlson Companies, which owned Radisson Hotels, Country Inns & Suites and other brands. In 1994, Carlson signed a franchise agreement with SAS International Hotels (SIH), which SIH started to use the brand Radisson SAS in the Europe, Middle East and Africa markets. In 2005, Carlson acquired 25% shares of SIH, at that time known as Rezidor SAS Hospitality. In 2010, Rezidor Hotel Group (former Rezidor SAS) became a subsidiary of Carlson. Since then, the enlarged hotel group had a new trading name Carlson Rezidor Hotel Group, which was one of the top hotel corporations in 2013. In 2016, Carlson Companies sold Carlson–Rezidor to Chinese conglomerate HNA Group. However, in 2018, HNA Group re-sold Carlson–Rezidor to Jin Jiang International Holdings. In the fourth quarter of 2017, Carlson Hotels, Inc., the holding company of the group, was renamed to Radisson Hospitality, Inc., while the listed subsidiary Rezidor Hotel Group AB, was renamed to Radisson Hospitality AB.
As of 2019, Radisson Hotel Group owns or operates 7 hotel brands: Radisson, Radisson Blu, Radisson Collection, Radisson Red, Country Inn & Suites by Radisson, Park Inn by Radisson and Park Plaza. The hotel group also owned 49% stake of prizeotel. The loyalty program was known as Radisson Rewards.
Curt Carlson, founder of the namesake company, bought Radisson Hotel in downtown Minneapolis, in 1962:90 (Radisson Hotel Group claimed it was 1960). 40 years later, the hotel division of Carlson had expanded into one of the top hotel corporations, as of 2013. On top of Radisson Hotels, the division also owned several other brands, such as Park Inn, Park Plaza (acquired in 2000), Country Inns & Suites (founded by Carlson in 1986) and etc. The division acquired the brand Regent in 1997, but sold the brand in 2010.
In 1994, the division expanded into Europe, the Middle East and Africa markets (EMEA) by signing a franchise agreement with SAS Group's SAS International Hotels (SIH). SIH would use Carlson's brand Radisson in EMEA. The agreement gave birth of the co-brand Radisson SAS, which became Radisson Blu since 2009. SAS International Hotels, later known as Rezidor SAS Hospitality in 2001 and then Rezidor Hotel Group in 2006, had expanded into a hotel group that consisted of more than 320 hotels as of 2008.
The franchise agreement was renewed in 2002 and again in 2005. The 2002 deal added Park Inn, Regent and Country Inns into the agreement, while in 2005 agreement, Carlson purchased 25% shares of Rezidor SAS from SAS Group. The 2005 franchise agreement would last until year 2052.
Rezidor Hotel Group also had other brands, such as Hotel Missoni, which was licensed from Missoni.
Carlson Rezidor Hotel Group
Rezidor Hotel Group, formerly Rezidor SAS, became a listed company in 2006.:380 SAS Group ceased to be the shareholder of Rezidor Hotel Group in 2007,:380 while Carlson, a significant shareholder of Rezidor SAS since 2005, became the parent company of Rezidor Hotel Group in 2010.
In February 2014, Rezidor Hotel Group terminated the license agreement of Hotel Missoni. Rezidor's Hotel Missoni Edinburgh and Hotel Missoni Kuwait, would ceased to use the brand Hotel Missoni not later than June 30, 2014.
In April 2016 Carlson–Rezidor hotel group was sold to HNA Tourism Group, a division of Chinese conglomerate HNA Group, from Carlson. The loyalty programs: HNA Group and Hainan Airlines' Fortune Wings Club and Radisson's Radisson Rewards, signed a partnership agreement in June 2018.
Radisson Hotel Group
In the fourth quarter of 2017, Carlson Hotels, Inc., the US-based holding company of the Carlson–Rezidor group, was renamed to Radisson Hospitality, Inc., while the Brussels/Sweden-based listed subsidiary Rezidor Hotel Group AB, was renamed to Radisson Hospitality AB in May 2018. The whole group had a new trading name Radisson Hotel Group. The customer loyalty program, was renamed from Club Carlson to Radisson Rewards.
However, Radisson Hotel Group was sold to a consortium led by Jin Jiang International Holdings in August 2018. According to the press release, Radisson Hotel Group had more than 1,400 hotels in operation and under development at that time. As of December 2017, the listed subsidiary Rezidor Hotel Group was operating 369 hotels.:3
- As of January 2019
- Radisson Blu
- Radisson Collection
- Radisson Red
- Country Inn & Suites by Radisson
- Park Plaza
- Park Inn by Radisson
Country Inn & Suites by Radisson
Country Inn & Suites by Radisson, formerly Country Inns & Suites by Carlson and Country Inns by Carlson, is a hotel chain of the Radisson Hotel Group (former Carlson Hotels). It was established by the former Carlson Hotels' owner, Carlson Companies in 1986 as a "middle-class" brand.:92 The sister brand, Radisson Hotels was classified as full-service, upscale brand of the group.:92 Carlson Companies also owned the namesake, Country Kitchen restaurant chain at that time.:90–91 In January 2018, two years after Carlson sold Carlson–Rezidor hotel group to HNA Group, the chain was rebranded into "Country Inn & Suites by Radisson".
Radisson Collection was formerly known as Quorvus Collection from 2014 to 2018. Quorvus Collection was introduced in 2014 as a luxury brand. The first hotel of former Rezidor Hotel Group in Copenhagen, was converted to use Radisson Collection brand.
- PPHE Hotel Group, licensee of Park Plaza brand in Europe and the Middle East regions; PPHE Hotel Group also owned art'otel and other brands, and participated in Radisson Hotel Group's loyalty program, Radisson Rewards.
- Rourke, Elisabeth; Salamie, David E.; Peippo, Kathleen; Rothburd, Carrie (2016) [previous versions of the article were published in vol.6, 22 and 87]. Pederson, Jay P. (ed.). "Carlson Companies, Inc". International Directory of Company Histories. Farmington Hills, Michigan: St. James Press (Gale, Cengage Learning group). 181. ISBN 978-1-55862-955-4.
- "Radisson Hospitality, Inc. Issues Statement Following Completion of Acquisition by Jin Jiang International Holdings Co., Ltd" (Press release). Minneapolis; Singapore: Radisson Hospitality, Inc. (Radisson Hotel Group). November 13, 2018. Retrieved January 17, 2019.
- Webster, Craig (2016). "Hotel chains, globalisation, and politics". In Ivanova, Maya; Ivanov, Stanislav; Magnini, Vincent P. (eds.). The Routledge Handbook of Hotel Chain Management. Routledge (Taylor & Francis Group). ISBN 9781315752532.
- "Curtis Carlson; Owner of Radisson Hotels". Los Angeles Times (obituary). February 22, 1999. Retrieved January 18, 2019.
- "History & Heritage". Radisson Hotel Group. c. 2018. Retrieved January 20, 2019.
- McDowell, Edwin (August 12, 1994) [digitalized on n.d.]. "Radisson and SAS Form Hotel Pact". The New York Times. Retrieved January 17, 2019.
- Blitz, Roger (March 27, 2008). "Kurt Ritter: Tricks of a half-century in hospitality". Financial Times (news report and interview). London. Retrieved January 17, 2019.
- Cohen, M. L. (2010). Pederson, Jay P. (ed.). "Rezidor Hotel Group AB". International Directory of Company History. Farmington Hills, Michigan: St. James Press (Gale, Cengage Learning group). 118. ISBN 978-1-4144-4729-2.
- "OMX: Rezidor Hotel Group Listed on the Nordic Exchange" (Press release). Sweden: OMX; Rezidor Hotel Group. Business Wire. November 28, 2006. Retrieved January 17, 2019.
- "SAS Group Announces publication of Prospectus, IPO Timetable and Price Range for the Listing of Rezidor Hotel Group AB (publ)" (Press release). SAS Group. November 13, 2006. Retrieved January 17, 2019.
- "SAS Group sells remaining shareholding in Rezidor to Carlson Companies" (Press release). SAS Group. May 25, 2007. Retrieved January 17, 2019.
- Grayson, Katharine (May 19, 2010). "Carlson ups stake in Rezidor Hotel Group". Minneapolis/St. Paul Business Journal. American City Business Journals. Retrieved January 17, 2019.
- Spector, Mike; DiNapoli, Jessica (January 19, 2012). "Carlson, Rezidor to operate hotels under one name". New York City. Reuters. Retrieved January 17, 2019.
- Harwood, Susie (February 19, 2014). "Carlson Rezidor terminates Missoni contract and unveils new brands". citmagazine.com. Haymarket Media Group. Retrieved January 29, 2019.
- "Rezidor Hotel Group and Missoni terminate licence agreement for Hotel Missoni" (Press release). Brussels; Milan: Rezidor Hotel Group. February 18, 2014. Retrieved January 29, 2019.
- Vomhof Jr., John; Hammerand, Jim (February 14, 2014). "Carlson launches two new hotel brands". Minneapolis/St. Paul Business Journal. American City Business Journals. Retrieved January 29, 2019.
- "Rezidor enters economy segment through acquisition of prizeotel" (Press release). Rezidor Hotel Group. March 6, 2016. Retrieved January 18, 2019.
- Jourdan, Adam; Thomas, Denny (April 28, 2016). "China's HNA Group agrees to buy Carlson Hotels". Shanghai; Hong Kong. Reuters. Retrieved January 17, 2019.
- Ma, Wayne; Wu, Kane; Beckerman, Josh (April 28, 2016). "China's HNA to Buy Carlson Rezidor Hotel Group". The Wall Street Journal. New York City. Retrieved January 19, 2018.
- 丽笙酒店集团与海南航空展开战略合作 (PDF) (Press release) (in Chinese). Batam: Radisson Hotel Group. June 27, 2018. Retrieved January 29, 2019.
- Annual Report 2017 (PDF). Rezidor Hotel Group. 2018. Retrieved January 18, 2019.
- "Rezidor Hotel Group AB (publ) renames to Radisson Hospitality AB (publ)" (Press release). Brussels; Stockholm: Radisson Hospitality AB. May 7, 2018. Retrieved January 20, 2019.
- Written at Berlin. "China's HNA renames Carlson Rezidor as Radisson Hotel Group". Beijing. Xinhua News Agency. March 6, 2018. Retrieved January 17, 2019.
- "Radisson Rewards is Radisson Hotel Group's refreshed loyalty" (PDF) (Press release). Brussels; Minneapolis; Singapore: Radisson Hotel Group. March 8, 2018. Retrieved January 20, 2019.
- Wu, Kane (August 10, 2018). "HNA sells Radisson Holdings to Jin Jiang-led consortium". Hong Kong. Reuters. Retrieved January 17, 2019.
- "Our brands". Radisson Hotel Group. Retrieved January 18, 2019.
- "Country Inns & Suites By Carlson Announces Name Change to Country Inn & Suites by Radisson" (Press release). Minneapolis: Carlson Rezidor Hotel Group. January 17, 2018. Retrieved January 20, 2019.
- "RHG's new Radisson Collection to replace Quorvus Collection". hoteliermiddleeast.com. ITP Digital Media. March 6, 2018. Retrieved January 20, 2019.
- O'Flaherty, Mark C. (March 27, 2018). "Return of a modernist masterpiece: the welcome revival of Copenhagen's Radisson Royal". The Telegraph. London. Retrieved February 4, 2019.
- "Radisson Hotel Group". PPHE Hotel Group. Retrieved January 29, 2019.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Radisson Hotel Group.|