|Industry||Hospitality, Hotels, Tourism|
|Headquarters||Minnetonka, Minnesota, U.S.|
|Trudy Rautio, President and CEO|
|Parent||Carlson Rezidor Hotel Group|
Radisson Hotels is an international hotel company and a subsidiary of the Carlson Rezidor Hotel Group. It operates the brands Radisson, Radisson blu, Radisson RED and Park Inn by Radisson with more than 990 locations in 73 countries.
The first Radisson Hotel was built in 1909 in Minneapolis, Minnesota, US. It is named after the 17th-century French explorer, ranger and furrier Pierre-Esprit Radisson. The hotel was purchased in 1962 by Curt Carlson (1914–1999) and is still owned by the Carlson estate.
The majority of Radisson-branded hotels are located in the United States. The company's headquarters, as well as the headquarters of the parent organization, Carlson, are located in Minnetonka, Minnesota, a suburb of Minneapolis, the city where the first Radisson Hotel was built. The original Radisson Hotel, founded by heiress Edna Dickerson, was opened on December 15, 1909 at 41 South Seventh Street in Minneapolis.
Radisson Blu is the brand name for Radisson hotels primarily outside the United States, including those in Europe, Africa and Asia. These are operated by Carlson Rezidor Hotel Group, of which Carlson is the main stakeholder. Scandinavian Airlines System (SAS) was previously a major shareholder and licensed its brand for Radisson SAS hotels. Following the withdrawal of SAS from the partnership on February 4, 2009, the name was gradually replaced by Radisson Blu.
Radisson Blu operates 158 hotels, with 42 projects in development. Radisson Blu previously did not exist within the borders of the United States. The first Radisson Blu in the United States opened in downtown Chicago in Aqua, a skyscraper, in November 2011. The second one opened in March 2013 in Bloomington, Minnesota and is connected to the Mall of America. Former Radisson Plaza hotels in Philadelphia and Minneapolis were converted to Radisson Blu.
Radisson Blu Edwardian Hotels
Radisson Blu Edwardian Hotels is a luxury line of 14 hotels in London and Manchester; often operating in historic buildings.
Radisson RED is a hotel brand targeted at young travelers. It officially launched in 2015, with the first hotel opening in Brussels in April 2016. Hotels will be in cities worldwide, with a target of 60 locations by 2020.
Park Inn by Radisson
Park Inn by Radisson is a midscale group of hotels that has 127 locations worldwide. Their strategy includes expansion into North America and key emerging economies like Brazil, Russia, India and China. Notable locations include the Park Inn Berlin.
- Meridian Gate, Cardiff, a skyscraper owned and occupied by Radisson Blu
- Carlson Rezidor Hotel Group
- SAS Group
- Tour du Crédit Lyonnais, a tall skyscraper partly occupied by Radisson Blu
- "Radisson About us". Radisson. Retrieved 2009-02-22.
- Jack El-Hai, Lost Minnesota: Stories of Vanished Places (University of Minnesota Press, 2000) p48
- "Radisson SAS Hotels & Resorts to change their name to Radisson Blu". Rezidor. Retrieved 2009-02-22.
- "Radisson Blu Hotels & Resorts". Rezidor. Retrieved 2009-02-22.
- Karmin, Craig (February 18, 2014). "Radisson to Launch Hotel for Millennials". The Wall Street Journal.
- "Radisson Blu to Open First Hotel in the U.S. in Chicago". Hotel Chatter. Retrieved 2011-06-29.
Media related to Radisson Hotels & Resorts at Wikimedia Commons