Cierzniak playing for Dundee United in 2012
|Full name||Radosław Cierzniak|
|Date of birth||April 24, 1983|
|Place of birth||Szamocin, Poland|
|Height||1.87 m (6 ft 1 1⁄2 in)|
* Senior club appearances and goals counted for the domestic league only and correct as of 15:04, 23 June 2015 (UTC).
Radosław Cierzniak (Polish pronunciation: [raˈdɔswav ˈt͡ɕɛʐnʲak]; born April 24, 1983 in Szamocin) is a Polish footballer who plays as a goalkeeper, most recently for Scottish club Dundee United. He has been capped once for Poland.
Cierzniak started his career in the 2001-02 season and went on to play for a number of teams in both Poland and Ukraine, such as Obra Kościan, Sparta Oborniki, Volyn Lutsk, Karpaty Lviv, Amica Wronki and Lech Poznań. In 2002, he joined Volyn Lutsk on a one-year contract but lack of opportunities led him to returning to Poland by joining Stomil Olsztyn, where he made 13 appearances.
He then joined Aluminium Konin, where he became first choice goalkeeper and made 29 appearances. The club would finish in second place in the league. After 29 appearances at Aluminium Konin, he signed for Amica Wronki. He made his UEFA Cup debut against French side Auxerre, coming on as substitute for Arkadiusz Malarz after he had been injured, but only 9 minutes later, Cierzniak was sent off for professional foul. On 20 April 2005, he made his league debut in a 2-2 draw against Odra Wodzisław. The following season, he became the first-choice goalkeeper for the club.
In 2006 Amica Wronki merged with Lech Poznan. Cierzniak made his Lech Poznán debut in the UEFA Intertoto Cup in a 3-1 loss against Tiraspol on 8 July 2006. However, he rarely featured in the first team as Krzysztof Kotorowski took the goalkeeping position. After six months at Lech Poznań, he joined Korona Kielce. On 28 April 2007, he made his debut in a 1-0 loss against Odra Wodzisław. Three season later, Cierzniak lost his first team place to Zbigniew Małkowski, which resulted in him leaving the club when his contract expired on 31 December 2010.
Cierzniak agreed a two year contract with Scottish Premier League club Dundee United in February 2012, due to start in the summer. He joined KS Cracovia in his homeland on a 3 month deal in preparation for his move to Dundee United. Cierzniak made his debut for Cracovia on 23 March 2012 in a 3-1 loss against Górnik Zabrze. On 2 August 2012, Cierzniak made his debut for Dundee United, in the third qualifying round of the UEFA Europa League as United drew 2-2 draw against Russian team Dynamo Moscow However, Dynamo Moscow would thrash Dundee United 5-0 in the second leg, eliminating the club from the Europa League. On 5 August 2012 he made his league debut in a 3-0 win over Hibernian, where he got his first clean sheet. In the next league match, a derby against Dundee, which Dundee United won 3-0, he made a double save from Nicky Riley to prevent Dundee taking an early lead. After the match, teammate Willo Flood praised Cierzniak's performance. Cierzniak said he was delighted to have experienced his first ever derby. Having been established as the club's first choice goalkeeper throughout the season, on the 6 of March 2013, Cierzniak signed a new contract at Dundee United, keeping him at the club until May 2015. Upon signing the new contract, United Manager Jackie McNamara said on the club's website: "This extension is merited because Rado has shown that he is an excellent SPL goalkeeper."
- Radosław Cierzniak at National-Football-Teams.com
- Polish league stats (Polish)
- National team stats (Polish)
- Radosław Cierzniak career statistics at Soccerbase
- "In "Volyn" move promising Polish goalkeeper (in Russian:В "Волынь" переедет перспективный польский голкипер)" (in Russian). UA Football. 13 August 2002. Retrieved 17 December 2012.
- "Pieroni hat-trick fires Auxerre". uefa.com. 3 December 2004. Retrieved 11 August 2014.
- "Goalkeeper loses crown" [Korona straci bramkarza]. sports.pl. 1 December 2010. Retrieved 12 April 2013.
- "Radosław Cierzniak piłkarzem AS Alkí" (in Polish). 90minut. 14 January 2011. Retrieved 14 January 2011.
- "Dundee United sign Polish goalkeeper Radoslaw Cierzniak". BBC Sport (BBC). 9 February 2012. Retrieved 9 February 2012.
- "Dundee United signing Radoslaw Cierzniak stays at home to prepare for Tannadice switch". Daily Record (Trinity Mirror). 2 March 2012. Retrieved 4 April 2012.
- "CRACOVIA KRAKÓW VS. GÓRNIK ZABRZE 1 - 3". Soccerway. 23 March 2012. Retrieved 17 December 2012.
- "Europa League qualifier: Dundee Utd 2 Dynamo Moscow 2". Daily Record. 3 August 2012. Retrieved 17 December 2012.
- "Five star Russians: United crash out of Europe". Daily Record. 10 August 2012. Retrieved 17 December 2012.
- "Dundee United 3 Hibernian 0". Daily Record. 5 August 2012. Retrieved 17 December 2012.
- "Rad to the bone: Flood hails mouthy Cierzniak after super saves". Daily Record. 25 August 2012. Retrieved 17 December 2012.
- "Dundee United No.1 Radoslaw Cierzniak delighted to experience first-ever derby after turning out for 13 clubs". Daily Record. 9 December 212. Retrieved 17 December 2012. Check date values in:
- "Goalkeeper Radoslaw Cierzniak signs contract extension with Dundee United". STV. 6 March 2013. Retrieved 6 March 2013.
- "Poland-Lithuania 1:1. A Night To Forget…". World Cup Blog. 8 February 2009. Retrieved 17 December 2012.
- "Tongue twister". The Scottish Sun. 9 March 2013. Retrieved 23 April 2013.
- "A-Z with Dundee United's Radoslaw Cierzniak". The Scottish Sun. 2 April 2013. Retrieved 23 April 2013.