Radyr and Morganstown
|Radyr & Morganstown|
|Population||6,417 (2011 census)|
|Sovereign state||United Kingdom|
Radyr & Morganstown is a community (civil parish) and electoral ward of Cardiff covers the areas of Radyr and Morganstown in the northwest of Cardiff, capital city of Wales. The ward elects one councillor to Cardiff Council. It also elects a community council.
The Radyr & Morganstown community is crossed to the north by the M4 motorway, which separates Morganstown from Radyr. The eastern border of the community and ward is defined by the River Taff. The rural communities of Pentyrch and St Fagans lie to the northwest and southwest.
|St Fagans||Fairwater||Llandaff North/
Since 1986 Radyr & Morganstown has been twinned with Saint-Philbert-de-Grand-Lieu, a town south-west of Nantes (Cardiff's twin city) on the southern shores of the Lac de Grand Lieu in Loire-Atlantique, France. The first exchange visit took place in May 1986 and Twinning Charters were signed by Chairmen of both community councils. On the 10th anniversary of the twinning fellowship, Radyr presented the people of St Philbert with a red telephone box.
The next year the French presented the Radyr community with a wine press, now sited in the gardens of the Old Church Rooms. The 20th anniversary was celebrated with a reception at the Old Church Rooms in 2006. The twinning committee is one of the more active in the area and cultural exchanges between the two communities take place annually. Since 2009 a regular Twinning Weekend has taken place, beginning in May 2009 with 49 Radyr residents travelling to St Philbert. The twinning committee also arranges Boules tournaments and social events throughout the summer.
Radyr & Morganstown is one of six communities in Cardiff to elect a Community Council. The Council has a clerk and twelve councillors, with the councillors being elected, four each, from the community wards of Morganstown, Radyr North and Radyr South. The councillors are politically neutral, with no party affiliation.
|Conservative||Roderick McKerlich *||1,193||43%||-10%|
|Plaid Cymru||Michael Andrew Christopher Deem||999||36%||+29%|
|Labour||Mohammed Rafiqul Islam||358||13%||-19%|
|Liberal Democrat||Hilary Elizabeth Borrow||218||8%||+4%|
|Conservative||Roderick McKerlich *||1,215||53%||-7%|
|Plaid Cymru||Ian Hughes||164||7%||-3%|
|Liberal Democrat||Laura Pearcy||95||4%||-7%|
Cllr McKerlich has held the seat since May 2008, when he won the seat from the Labour Party, with 60% of the vote.
- "Radyr - Key Stats". UKcensusdata.com. Retrieved 2018-01-15.
- "St. Philbert Grand Lieu". Retrieved 2008-06-29.
- "Twinning Fellowship - The First Twenty Years". Radyr & Morganstown community website. Retrieved 2018-01-16.
- "Exchange Visit 2009". Radyr & Morganstown community website. Retrieved 2018-01-16.
- "Community Council". Radyr & Morganstown website. Retrieved 2018-01-15.
- "Election results for Radyr and Morganstown: Cardiff Council Elections 2017 - Thursday, 4th May, 2017". Cardiff Council. Retrieved 2018-01-15.
- "Election results for Radyr and Morganstown: Cardiff Council Elections 2012 - Thursday, 3rd May, 2012". Cardiff Council. Retrieved 2018-01-15.
- "Cardiff Council Election Results 1995-2012" (PDF). The Elections Centre. Retrieved 2018-01-13.