Rae Desmond Jones
Rae Desmond Jones
|Born||11 August 1941|
Broken Hill, New South Wales, Australia
|Died||27 June 2017(aged 75)|
|Occupation||Poet, novelist, short story writer and politician|
Jones was born in the mining town of Broken Hill in the far West of New South Wales. Although many of his poems and stories are concerned with urban experience, he always felt that desert landscapes were central to his language and perception. He wrote in colloquial language, which sometimes exploded in powerful narratives packed with ambiguous sexual and violent imagery, especially in his earlier poems and some of his novels. His original and bleak vision was frequently mediated by gusts of earthy humour and unexpected sensitivity and honesty.
He became a popular mayor of Ashfield, an inner Sydney Municipality, from 2004 to 2006, and during that period held together a broad coalition of Labor Party, Green and Independent representatives. He said that for him "poetry and politics are mutually contradictory, and he finds consolation from each in the arms of the other."
- Orpheus With A Tuba, Makar Press, 1973.
- The Mad Vibe, Saturday Centre, 1975.
- Shakti, Makar Press, 1977.
- The Palace of Art, Makar Press, 1981.
- Blow Out, Island Press, 2008.
- Baygone and other poems, Picaro Press, 2011.
- Thirteen Poems from the Dead, Polar Bear Press 2011.
- Decline and Fall, Flying Islands Press, 2011.
- The Selected Your Friendly Fascist, (as editor), Rochford Press, 2012.
- It Comes From All Directions: New and Selected Poems, Grand Parade Poets, 2013.
- The End of the Line, Rochford Press, 2019.
- The Lemon Tree, Angus & Robertson, 1990.
- Wisdom, Blackwattle Press, 1995.
- Walking The Line, Red Press, 1979.
- Rae Jones: Poet With A Tuba, Vanguard 1985.
- Author Page at Australian Literary Resources
- Interview at Stylus Poetry
- note left under a magnet on a fridge door in a field Poem
- Review of Blow Out
- Review of Thirteen Poems for the Dead
- "Rae Desmond Jones". AustLit. University of Queensland. Retrieved 17 April 2018.
- "The Mad Vibe - An Interview With Rae Desmond Jones", Makar Magazine, Vol 10, Number 2, September 1974.
- "The Shield of Achilles", Southerly Vol. 65 Number 3. 2005.
|This biographical article about an Australian poet is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
|This article about a mayor in Australia is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|