This biography of a living person needs additional citations for verification. (November 2010) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
13 December 1971
|Residence||Hobart, Tasmania, Australia|
|Other names||Rae Earl Johnson, Rachel Earl Johnson|
|Alma mater||Stamford High School, University of Hull|
|Known for||My Mad Fat Teenage Diary|
Earl obtained a degree from Hull University and won the University's Philip Larkin literary prize in 1994. She then worked as a copywriter in local radio before moving into radio presenting. Earl lives in Hobart, Australia and is married to Kevin Johnson and has a son named Harry.
My Fat, Mad Teenage Diary
She is the author of the 2007 book My Fat Mad Teenage Diary (published in the U.S. as My Mad Fat Diary, 2016) a collection of the diaries she wrote as a teenager in the late 1980s. The diary describes the tribulations of being an overweight girl with mental health difficulties, living in a council house with her mother and her mother's Moroccan boyfriend. A follow-up book, My Madder Fatter Diary, Vol.2 was published in 2014.
The television show My Mad Fat Diary on E4 is based on her books. UnlIke the book, the series takes place in the 1990s rather than the 1980s. The first series began airing in January 2013, with a second series shown in 2014. A third and final series was shown in 2015.
- OMG! Is This Actually My Life? Hattie Moore's Unbelievable Year! (2013) - Fictional diary of a teenage girl who lives in Derby.
- OMG! I'm in Love with a Geek! (2014)
- My Life Uploaded (2018)
- My Life Gone Viral (2020)
- It's All In Your Head: A Guide to Getting Your Sh*t Together (2017); published in the U.S. as Your Brain Needs a Hug: Life, Love, Mental Health, and Sandwiches (2019)
- Rae Earl bio at her agent's website
- Interview for thelondonpaper, 21 August 2007
- Interview for Metro, 3 February 2014
|This British biographical article related to radio is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|