|Born||Karachi, Sindh, Pakistan|
|Occupation||Urdu poet, Journalist, TV Anchor|
|Education||M.A. (Mass Communication)|
|Alma mater||University of Karachi|
|Genre||Ghazal / Nazm|
Raees Warsi (Urdu: رئیس وارثی , born 1 March 1963) is an American Pakistani Urdu Poet, Journalist, Lyricist, TV anchor and Master of Ceremonies. . He has blended contemporary issues into classic rhyme. Where Urdu poetry was confined to the issues of love, romance and its tragedies till the early 20th century, Warsi and some other notable contemporary poetry have expanded Urdu poetry to the demands of modern realism while still maintaining the classic rhyme. He currently resides in the United States.
Family and Childhood
Warsi was born in Karachi, Pakistan. He came from a renowned family of poets and literary figures. His father, Sattar Warsi, is a household name in theological poetry, in the genre of Naat. Both his brothers, Saeed Warsi and Rasheed Warsi, are Urdu poets and journalists. After his early childhood education in Karachi, Warsi successfully completed his Masters in Mass Communication from the University of Karachi in 1987. After earning accolades in Pakistan, he migrated to the United States, where he lives with his wife Tabassum Pervaiz.
Warsi started composing poetry at an early age. Warsi gained national attention courtesy his popular Ghazal recited in a national poetry session in Karachi in 1981. Warsi became a regular contributor to Mushaira (traditional poetry gatherings). In published works, his first real breakthrough came when one of his poems was published in the literary magazine Afkaar in Karachi (1986). He then became a regular contributor to newspapers and literary magazines, including the most widely circulated Urdu-language newspaper, the Daily Jang. Other newspapers and magazines which were adorned with his poetry and prose were the Daily Hurriyat, Daily Mashriq, Daily Nawa-i-Waqt, the weekly Akhbar e Jahan, weekly Akhbar e Khawateen, the monthly Wirsa, monthly Idraak and numerous others. He was interviewed both in Pakistani and Indian newspapers and magazines as well as on radio and television for his literary contributions. He was listed as a prominent poet in the Directory of Pakistani Writers Published by the, Pakistan Academy of Letters (1994 Edition), A-8 Pitrus Bukhari Road, Islamabad 44000. In 1989, Warsi moved to the United States. He channelled his literary in establishing the Urdu Markaz New York (Urdu Language Center) in 1989. Under its auspices, biweekly sessions of reciting poetry and prose, lecture series and critical sessions were organised. In New York as well, Warsi has been a regular contributor of poetry and  and  and, and and and warsi/video Warsi has been the president of the society since its inception. The high point of the Urdu Language Center was organising the First International Urdu Conference, was held at the UNO's headquarters, on 24 June 2000, under the auspices of the United Nations. This conference was attended by many living Urdu luminaries: poets, novelists, humorists and critics from across the globe. The conference was lauded by the UN Secretary General, the Vice President of the United States and the Presidents of Pakistan and India. The Asia Society of New York printed his Urdu poetry with English translation, along with an introductory paragraph on his poetry and life, in 2003, 2009 and 2011 brochures and and and Voice of America TV (The US government's official external radio and television broadcasting service) interviewed him, and made a special documentary titled Future of Urdu Language in the United States of America on the occasion of the inauguration ceremony of his book (the first collection of his poetry), in Virginia, 2006. He named it Aaina Hoon Main (I Am the Mirror). The book has introductory remarks from Gopi Chand Narang (President Sahitya Akademi / National Academy of Letters India, 2003–2007) Farman Fatehpuri (Former President of the Urdu Dictionary Board), Iftikhar Arif (President Muqtadra Quami Zaban / Former President Pakistan Academy of Letters), Ahmed Faraz (Former President National Book Foundation of Pakistan), Ahmad Nadeem Qasmi ( Editor Funoon Magazine & Active member of Progressive Writers Movement ), Zameer Jaffary and Jameel Jalibi ( Former Vice Chancellor of University of Karachi), Dr. Saeed Warsi and Humaira Rahman.
Warsi is currently working on his second poetry collection. In the meantime, he continues to promote Urdu poetry and prose.
Founder of Urdu Markaz New York
Urdu Markaz New York (Urdu Language Center of New York) was established by Raees Warsi and his team in 1989. The Markaz is coherently non political, non religious organization actively engaged in providing platform for propagation of URDU LANGUAGE, eastern educational & cultural activities to gather with western education, art & culture on international level since 25 years without discrimination of color & creed.
In span of 25 Years Urdu Markaz has introduced many new scholars, writers, poets of international stature. Besides conducting educational conferences, seminars, lectures of famous Urdu scholars, publication of books, Urdu Markaz has also organized cultural & educational functions which are in vogue since 25 years.
Founder of Aalami Urdu Conference, USA.
Mr. Warsi (Founder/President of Urdu Markaz New York), opened a new chapter in the history of Urdu by organizing The First International Urdu Writers conference in the United States of America, The Conference was held in the United Nations Headquarters, New York, NY, on 24 June 2000. In this conference numbers of scholars from Pakistan, India, UAE, England, Germany, Canada and different States of the USA. On this conference message from honorable Secretary General of the United Nations, Kofee Anan, Vice President of USA, Al Gore, President of Pakistan, President of India, Governor of New York State, Mayor of New York City, Ambassadors and other dignitaries and high officials of several countries in which efforts to stage a platform for propagation of cultural and educational activities were highly appreciated. The scholars, poets, generalists, critics & celebrities from all over the world appreciated the efforts of Urdu Markaz for propagation of Urdu language on international level. During this first conference Urdu Markaz announced the first International Urdu language Award "NISHAN-E-URDU". The First Award was given to famous Urdu poet Jameel Uddin Aali from Pakistan.
Television and Radio
Raees Warsi participated in several radio programs on Radio Pakistan ( Pakistan Broadcasting Corporation ) Karachi station from 1979–1984, produced by senior producers Zameer Ali and Shehnaz Saleem. His lyrics was telecasted on PTV ( Pakistan Television Corporation / State-run broadcaster ) on different occasions. He Anchored the broadcast news and co-produced Urdu-language television programs in New York and New Jersey since 1995.
- ITV (International Television New York) Channel 77, Newscaster "Jeevay Pakistan" 1995 to 1997.
- ETN (Eastern Television Network New York / New Jersey), Co-producer, 2000 to 2003
- PTN (Pakistan Television Network), Newscaster / Host/ Anchor of "Today’s Guest" on Channel 509, March 2003 to July 2006
- AAJ TV Host/Anchor of Mehfil-e-Mosalma and Natia Mushairah on Dish Network Channel 684, USA.
Author and Editor
- Author of "Aaina Hon Main" was published by Urdu Markaz New York(Institute of Urdu Language NYC) in 2005
- Second edition was published in 2008.
- Column(s) has been published on the editorial page of Daily Jang and jang Magazines, also in Daily Nawa-i-Waqt, Daily Huriyat Daily Mashriq and others.
- News Editor of PTN (Pakistan Television Network NY/NJ), from 2005-2007.
- Editor of Govt boys secondary School's Magazine "Mashal-e-Raah"(Wall Paper).
- Editor of Govt Superior Science College Karachi's Magazine "The Pierian" from 1979–80
- Chief Editor and Magazine Secretary of Govt Superior Science College Karachi's Magazine "The Pierian" from 1981-82.
- Member Editorial Board of Monthly magazine "Virsa", Karachi, Pakistan-1987-88
- Member Editorial Board of Monthly magazine "Awaz", New York
Filmography / Lyrics and CD Albums
Although Warsi was born and raised in Pakistan, his poetry was well received in India as well. He was invited to write songs for the Bollywood Movie Hum Tum Aur Mom, released in 2005, and directed and produced by Ashok Nanda. His songs for this movie were performed by famous Bollywood singers Udit Narayan and Sadhna Sargam and. In September 2002, an Album of Warsi’s Ghazals titled Beetay Lamhay was released (by Naeem Hashmi of Pak-US Music Lovers, Producer Khalid Abbas Dar, Music Director Aslam Meenu, Production Director Furqan Haider), sung by leading Pakistani classical singers Ustad Zakir Ali Khan, Raees Warsi's Ghazals sung by Ghulam Ali and Asad Amanat Ali Khan. Pervaiz Mehdi, Hamid Ali Khan, Asif Ali, Rifaqat Ali Khan, Shamsa Kanwal, Iqbal Qasim, Feroz Akhtar, Rashid Khan, Sabir Ali and Zafar Iqbal among others. Another CD album of Warsi's Naatia (Naat) and Hamdia (Hamd) Kalam / poetry titled Madinee Chaloo was released in February 2010 by Humza Studio (New York), sung by Pakistani film singer and Naat Khawan Farooq Shad. On Kashmir Day (5 February 2011), his new song titled "Tarana-e-Kashmir" was telecasted on PTV Global( State-run broadcast of Pakistan), sung by Zaffar Iqbal, Music Director Nasir Hussain (Lahore). A CD Album "Dil Ki Awaz" Vol:06 (Tribute to Poets of New Era Including Ahmed Faraz, Saleem Kousar, Wasi Shah, Raees Warsi, Abbas Tabish, Khalid Moin and others) by Zafar Iqbal, Was released in July 2011. His new CD album "Mohabbat Ke Naam" was released in September 2012. His new National song "Mera dil hay merey jan Pakistan Pakistan" sung by Zafar Iqbal, Music by Waeem Abbas was released on Pakistan's 67th Independence Day The 14 August 2014 was telecasted on Pakistani most popular channel Express News.
Representation in the Conferences
- Raees Warsi was the member of Paksitani delegation in the United Nations Annual International Conference for Non-Governmental Organizations, held by the Department of Public affairs and NGO's of the United Nations, New York, Sept 1998.Leader of the Pakistani delegation was Honorable Hakim Muhammad Said (Ex-Governor of Sindh),other members were Ansar Burney (Ex-Feredal Minister of Paksiatn), Raees Warsi and M. David.
- Warsi participated in the United Nations Annual International NGO's Conference that was held in the United Nations headquarters, New York, September 1999. He was a member of the Pakistani delegation along with Ansar Burney (Ex-Federal Minister Of Pakistan) and others.
- He also participated in the First International Conference on Urdu and InfoTech Highways that was held in the United Nations headquarters, New York, June 2000, organized by Urdu Markaz New York.
- Warsi recited his poetry in the Urdu Writers Conference / Festival, Organized by Asia Society New York in June 2009.
- He was the head of Pakistani delegation in the PRIDE International Conference on Drug Abuse Prevention. Organized by The pride, Atlanta, Georgia in April 1989.
- He participated in the National Conference on drug Abuse prevention, Organized by National Federartion of NGO's for drug abuse prevention of Pakistan,Presided by the President of Pakistan General Muhammad Zia-ul-Haq, in Karachi, July 1981.
- He participated in the National Conference of Social Workers, Organized by All Pakistan Social Workers Association of Pakistan (MSKP) with coordination of Department of Social Welfare, Government of Sindh. Karachi 1980 etc.
- He Participated in THE FIRST INTERNATIONAL URDU CONFERENCE, NEW YORK UNIVERSITY, (NYU), SEPT, 18,19,20, 2015. The South Asian Languages Program at the Department of Middle Eastern and Islamic Studies, NYU, and the Alliance for Pakistan and Urdu Studies at NYU (APUS).
Recipient of Official/Organizational and Media Awards
- Raees Warsi was recognized and Awarded the Citation for his contributions & Outstanding Services for more than twenty five years to promote Urdu Literature in The United States, From Brooklyn Borough President Mr. Eric L. Adams, On 29 May 2015.
- Service Award in recognition for 10 years of dedicated service from Bellevue Hospital Center,New York City Health & Hospital Corporation on 10 June 2014
- Award for best poetry and services to promote Urdu language from Urdu Literary Society of Philadelphia PA, on 27 April 2014
- Certificate Of Recognition for Community and Poetry Services, from the Administration Of Hempstead Town, Nassau County, New York State, USA. Presented by Kate Murray (Head of The Local Government), on 24 Sep 2011
- Services for Urdu language Award, From Zafar Zaidi Society, New York, November 2008
- Received a letter of appreciation from Honorable Chaudhry Pervaiz Elahi Deputy Prime Minister of Pakistan / Ex-Chief Minister of Punjab, No:PH/429201371, June 2006.
- Received a letter of appreciation from Honorable Shaukat Aziz the Prime Minister of Pakistan, Letter No.F.1(40)SW/PM/2006,Prime Minister's Secretariat(Public), Islamabad, Pakistan, Dated 19 June 2006.
- Best Book of the year 2005/Award, From Funrama Entertainment Inc, Dallas, July 2006
- Community Services Award, Presented by Weekly Pakistan News, New York, August 2002
- Literary and Community Services Award, From Pakistan Television, New York, June 2000
- Urdu Services Appreciation Award, From Weekly Awam May 2000
- Community Services Award, From Pak Asia Magazine, New York, July 1999
- Literary Services Award, Presented by Karachi University Alumni of USA, June 1998
- Golden Jubilee Award for literary services, From Eastern Communication Network, Washington DC, April 1997
- "http://muslimvoicesfestival.org/artist/artists-chaikhana". Muslimvoicesfestival.org. 5 June 2009. Retrieved 10 November 2011.
- Daily Jang,Karachi,page # 8, dated 20 September 1989
- Pakistan Academy of Letters, Government of Pakistan, Directory of Pakistani Writers, Edition 1994, Page#106, ISBN 969-472-095-8 ,
- urdudost Online collection of the pictures of famous Urdu Writers and Poets/Page 11
-  List of important Urdu poets
- urdumehfil DVD of International Urdu Mushaira in Houston TX, in 2006
-  and, Online Directory of Urdu Poets and Writers
-  www.mehraab.com / A News Magazine of Cultural Arts
- http://www.Poetrysoup.com List of Famous Urdu Poets
- "Mushaira: Celebrating Urdu Poetry (Complete)". Asia Society. 30 April 2011. Retrieved 10 November 2011.
- "Mushaira: Celebrating Urdu Poetry". Asia Society. 30 April 2011. Retrieved 10 November 2011.
- http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/1156625904-[Urdu Poets/ISBN 1156625904, ISBN 978-1-156-62590-3]
- [dead link] ISBN 978-1156752906
- " I am the Mirror " A Collection of Raees Warsi's poetry (Published by Urdu Markaz New York in 2005)
-  Online "FirstPost" / ITV Live
- Tutti gli orari sono UTC + 1 ora. "Ckeck list of Udit Narayan's Songs of 2006". Bollywooditalia.com. Retrieved 10 November 2011.
- http://www.gomolo.in/People/People.aspx?pplid=48686 Hum-Tum-Aur-Mom / Indian Movie
- Ghulam Ali (World Known Pakistani Ghazal Singer) List of His Notable Ghazals
-  Raees Warsi's Ghazal by Humaira Channa "Terz-e-Fikr-O-Nazar" by Humaira Channa
- Asad Amanat Ali Khan Discography of Legend Pakistani Ghazal Singer / Raees Warsi's Ghazals Sung By Asad Amanat Ali Khan
-  Tribute to Poets of New Era Including Ahmed Faraz, Saleem Kousar, Wasi Shah, Raees Warsi, Abbas Tabish, Khalid Moin and others
- ""Dil Ki Awaz" Vol:6, A Tribute to Poets of New Era by Zafar Iqbal". Amazon.com. Retrieved 10 November 2011.