||The topic of this article may not meet Wikipedia's notability guideline for biographies. (April 2011) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
January 15, 1969 |
Seattle, Washington, United States
|Occupation||Poet, vocalist, director, actor|
|Genre||Poetry, prison literature|
|Literary movement||Punk literature|
Raegan Butcher (born January 15, 1969) is an American poet and singer. He is known for his association with the anarchist collective CrimethInc., who published his first two books of poetry, Stone Hotel and Rusty String Quartet. According to a CrimethInc. biography, Butcher was born in Seattle, Washington and moved to Snohomish, Washington in his youth. In 1991, he published his first written work: a chapbook of poetry titled "End Of The World Graffiti". Three years later, in 1995, he appeared in a Seattle independent film titled The Year Of My Japanese Cousin.
In 1996, Butcher was arrested and convicted for first degree robbery and sentenced to eight years in prison. During his sentence, he wrote the poems that would make up Stone Hotel, along with numerous screenplays and other currently unpublished works. He was released on March 17, 2003. Clamor identified Stone Hotel as among CrimethInc.'s best work, calling it a "great start" for Butcher and "commendable in many ways". Butcher has named, among others, Leonard Cohen, Billy Childish, Charles Bukowski, and Edward Bunker as influences. In the early summer of 2005 Raegan Butcher lived in Cuernavaca.
In January 2008, Scissor Press released an album titled Pale & Skinny: 1986–1992, consisting of ten songs Butcher sang with his punk rock group Pale & Skinny (which he formed when he was a teenager). Aside from writing and music, Butcher is also interested in film directing. Raegan Butcher has two companies, PNS Productions and Butcher Films, which is currently producing a film titled Gone Shooting.
- End of the World Graffiti (chapbook) (1991)
- Stone Hotel (2003)
- Rusty String Quartet (2005)
- Avant Garde Graveyard (forthcoming, TBA)
- Psychedelic Knucklehead (forthcoming, TBA)
- Pale and Skinny: 1986-1992 (2008)
- The Year of My Japanese Cousin
- Gone Shooting (forthcoming, TBA)
- Stone Hotel at CrimethInc.com. Retrieved January 20, 2008.
- Raegan Butcher at the Internet Movie Database
- Clamor issue 21, July/August 2003. Retrieved 2008-01-20.
- Reagan Butcher official Myspace Page
- Butcher, Raegan (2005). Rusty String Quartet. CrimethInc. Workers Collective. ISBN 978-0-9709101-5-8.
- Butcher Films official Myspace page