Grampa at his studio in July 2018
|Area(s)||Writer, Penciller, Inker|
|Awards||2008 Eisner Award for Best Anthology|
Rafael Grampá is a Brazilian comic book artist and director. Grampá created Mesmo Delivery and 5, an independent comic, alongside Becky Cloonan, Fábio Moon, Gabriel Bá and Vasilis Lolos. In 2008 it won the Eisner Award for Best Anthology.
At the age of 14 Rafael Grampá drew flags for Rio Grande do Sul municipalities, made t-shirt prints, store logos and children's party decorations. In 2001 he became art director of RBS TV, a subsidiary of Rede Globo in southern Brazil. In 2004 he moved to São Paulo and worked as animation director and concept designer for the animation studio Lobo / Vetor Zero in São Paulo, developing animation films and special effects.
Grampá was director of animated films at Lobo/Vetor Zero, until 2007, when he decided to focus exclusively on comics.
In 2008, Grampá, Gabriel Bá, and Fábio Moon were awarded with an Eisner Award, becoming then the first Brazilian artists to receive the award. That same year he published Mesmo Delivery, which won the HQ Mix Awards for Best Artist and Best Especial Graphic Novel.
Subsequently Grampá wrote and drew comics for publishers such as DC Comics, Dark Horse and Marvel. In 2010 the eight-page story "Dear Logan", appeared in the anthology book Strange Tales II #1, was said by Timothy Callahan of CBR.com to be "not only one of the best comic book stories of the year, but it may be the perfect Wolverine story." His reinterpretation of Batman for DC Comics became part of Batman Black and White, the DC Collectibles series.
Grampá directed short films based on his own original stories, both live-action and animation. Dark Noir (2014), an animated film sponsored by Absolut Vodka, was released simultaneously in 21 countries. Romeo Reboot (2015) is a live-action film inspired by Shakespeare's classic story. In 2017, Grampá and his partners started Handquarters, a content development studio and production company, where Grampá directed the live-action film A Geek Punk Story (2018).
- Gunned Down: "Lao Family's Fish Market" (script and art, anthology, Terra Major, 2006)
- 5 (with Becky Cloonan, Gabriel Bá, Fábio Moon and Vasilis Lolos, self-published anthology, 2007)
- Mesmo Delivery (script and art, graphic novel, Desiderata, 2008)
- Hellblazer #250: "All I Goat for Christmas" (with Brian Azzarello, co-feature, Vertigo, 2009)
- Strange Tales II #1: "Dear Logan" (script and art, anthology, Marvel MAX, 2010)
- Batman: Black and White vol. 2 #2: "Into the Circle" (script and art, anthology, DC Comics, 2013)
- The Dark Knight Returns: The Golden Child (with Frank Miller, one-shot, DC Black Label, 2020)
- Dead of Night featuring Werewolf by Night #4 (Marvel MAX, 2009)
- American Vampire #6 (Vertigo, 2010)
- The Unexpected #1 (Vertigo, 2011)
- Uncanny X-Force #19 (Marvel, 2012)
- The Massive #1-3 (Dark Horse Comics, 2012)
- Dominique Laveau: Voodoo Child #1-7 (Vertigo, 2012)
- TMNT: The Secret History of the Foot Clan #1 (IDW Publishing, 2012)
- Bloodshot and the H.A.R.D. Corps #14 (Valiant, 2013)
- Catalyst Comix #1, 4, 7 (Dark Horse, 2013)
- Shadowman vol. 4 #5 (Valiant, 2013)
- All-New X-Men #25 (Marvel Comics, 2014)
- Head Lopper #1 (Image Comics, 2015)
- Detective Comics vol. 2 #50 (DC Comics, 2016)
- Batman vol. 3 #1 (DC Comics, 2016)
- The Dark Knight III: The Master Race #6 (DC Comics, 2016)
- Gotham City Garage Chapter 5 (DC Digital, 2017)
- Batwoman vol. 2 #15 (DC Comics, 2018)
- Moonshine #11 (Image, 2018)
- The Magic Order #2 (Image, 2018)
- Kick-Ass vol. 4 #7 (Image, 2018)
- Prodigy #4 (Image, 2019)
- Sharkey the Bounty Hunter #3 (Image, 2019)
- Wonder Woman #754 (DC Comics, 2020)
- The Flash #754 (DC Comics, 2020)
- The Batman's Grave #8 (DC Comics, 2020)
- Dark Nights: Death Metal — Infinite Hour Exxxtreme! #1 (DC Comics, 2021)
- Action Comics #1028 (DC Comics, 2021)
- Cordero, Rosy (December 1, 2019). "DC Comics pulls controversial image from Dark Knight Returns: The Golden Child promo". Entertainment Weekly. Retrieved December 15, 2019.
- Floro, Paulo (2008, July 26) "Gabriel Bá, Fábio Moon e Rafael Grampá vencem o Eisner Awards". OGrito! Retrieved December 15, 2019.
- Arruda, Juliana (September 5, 2019) "Rafael Grampá lança HANDQUARTERS, estúdio de storytelling multiplataforma para atender mercado audiovisual e publicitário brasileiro". Segs.
- Hessel, Marcelo (August 19, 2011). "Mesmo Delivery: Mauro Lima vai dirigir a adaptação da HQ de Rafael Grampá". Omelete. (Portuguese)
- Wickline, Dan (October 4, 2013). "Grampa Is At The Vodka Again! "Absolut Vodka Profiles Rafael Grampa". Bleeding Cool.
- Arrant, Chris (November 12, 2008). "Trucker Turmoil: Rafael Grampa on Mesmo Delivery". Newsarama.
- Callahan, Timothy (October 18, 2010). "Wolwerine: Eight Perfect Pages". CBR.com. Retrieved December 15, 2019.
- (August 20, 2013). "Celebrating Batman: Black and White". DC Collectibles.
- Gomes, Bruno (November 3, 2018) "Batman | Frank Miller e Rafael Grampá estão trabalhando em nova HQ do herói". O Vício. Retrieved December 15, 2019.
- Also used as cover for chapter 6 and print edition of Gotham City Garage #3.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Rafael Grampá.|