Rafael Moneo (2011)
|Born||José Rafael Moneo Vallés
9 May 1937
Tudela, Navarre, Spain
|Awards||Rolf Schock Prizes in Visual Arts (1993)
Pritzker Architecture Prize (1996)
Thomas Jefferson Medal in Architecture (2012)
Life and career
Born in Tudela, Spain, Moneo studied at the ETSAM, Technical University of Madrid (UPM) from which he received his architectural degree in 1961. From 1958 to 1961 he worked in the office in Madrid of the architect Francisco Javier Sáenz de Oiza. In 1963 he received a two-year fellowship to study at the Spanish Academy in Rome, which had a great influence on his later work. After his return to Spain in 1965, he taught as an adjunct professor at the ETSAM in Madrid (1966-1970). In 1972, became Professor of Elements of Composition at the ETSAB, for which he moved to Barcelona. He has taught architecture at various locations around the world and from 1985 to 1990 was the chairman of Harvard Graduate School of Design, where he is the first Josep Lluís Sert Professor of Architecture. He became Academic Numerary in the Academia de Bellas Artes de San Fernando in Madrid in May 1997.
Spanish constructions of his design include the renovation of the Villahermosa Palace (Thyssen-Bornemisza Museum) in Madrid, the National Museum of Roman Art in Mérida, an expansion of the Madrid Atocha railway station, the Diestre Factory in Zaragoza, Pilar and Joan Miró Foundation in Majorca the headquarters of the Bankinter (again, in Madrid), Town Hall in Logroño. He also designed the annex to the Murcia Town Hall, which was completed in 1998. His latest works are the enlargement of the Prado Museum and the extension of the Bank of Spain, an almost totally mimetic reproduction of the existing building.
Some of Moneo's prominent works in the US include the Cathedral of Our Lady of the Angels in Los Angeles, the Davis Art Museum at Wellesley College in Massachusetts and the Audrey Jones Beck Building (an expansion of the Museum of Fine Arts, Houston). Moneo also designed the Chace Center, a new building for the Rhode Island School of Design. In December 2010, the Northwest Corner Building (formerly the Interdepartmental Science Building) at Columbia University in New York City first opened. Moneo's most recent work is Peretsman-Scully Hall and the Princeton Neuroscience Institute, which houses the psychology and neuroscience departments at Princeton University and opened in December 2013.
In 2012, he was awarded with 2012 Prince of Asturias Award for the Arts. According to the jury, Moneo is a Spanish architect of universal scope whose work enriches urban spaces with an architecture that is serene and meticulous. An acknowledged master in both the academic and professional field, Moneo leaves his own mark on each of his creations, at the same time as combining aesthetics with functionality, especially in the airy interiors that act as impeccable settings for great works of culture and the spirit.
National Museum of Roman Art, Mérida, Spain
Murcia Town Hall on the Cardenal Belluga Plaza
Valladolid Science Museum, Spain
Cathedral of Our Lady of the Angels, Los Angeles
Audrey Jones Beck Building, Museum of Fine Arts, Houston, Texas
- Davis Art Museum, Wellesley, Massachusetts (1993)
- Moderna Museet and Swedish Centre for Architecture and Design, Stockholm, Sweden (1997)
- Kursaal Congress Centre and Auditorium, Basque Country, Spain (1999)
- Audrey Jones Beck Building, Houston, Texas (2000)
- Library of Sciences, Heverlee, Katholieke Universiteit Leuven, Belgium (2000)
- Cathedral of Our Lady of the Angels, Los Angeles, California (2002)
- Valladolid Science Museum, Valladolid, Spain (2003)
- Museo del Prado expansion, Madrid, Spain (2007)
- Northwest Corner Building, New York City, New York (2010)
- Princeton Neuroscience Institute, Princeton, New Jersey (2013)
- Museum University of Navarra, Pamplona, Spain (2015)
- José Rafael Moneo: Faculty Profile. Harvard Graduate School of Design. Accessed 14 May 2013.
- Gonzalo Herrero Delicado. Murcia City Hall, Murcia, Spain: José Rafael Moneo 1998. Galinsky. 2006.
- Campus Initiatives: The Chace Center
- Minutes of the Jury for the 2012 Prince of Asturias Award for the Arts. .
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Rafael Moneo.|
- Architectural renderings of the Chace Center (early stages of design)
- Children's Hospital of Madrid
- Harvard University Laboratory for Integrated Science and Engineering
- The Moneo Gallery: Works of José Rafael Moneo Vallés
- "Prado museum unveils spacious new extension" (2 April 2007)
- Pritzker Architecture Prize Laureate
- Short biography at www.greatbuildings.com