|Grandsire||Argentan I (Hanoverian)|
United States (standing)
|Last updated on: 16 July 2013.|
Rafalca is a mare with "a milk chocolate coat, raven tail and white socks above three of her hooves". She is an Oldenburg, a warmblood horse breed from the north-western corner of Lower Saxony. She was born in Menslage in Germany in 1997, and bred by Erwin Risch.
Rafalca has competed with Ebeling at the Grand Prix level, the highest competition level in dressage, since 2007, and was a representative for the United States in the Dressage World Cup Finals in 2009, 2011, and 2012.
In June 2012, Ebeling and Rafalca won a spot on the U.S. Olympics dressage team. At the 2012 Summer Olympics in London, after participating over several days, Ebeling and Rafalca finished in 28th place with a score of 69.302 and did not qualify to move on to the final round for individual medals. They were part of a 6th place overall finish for the U.S. team. Romney said of her horse, "It was wonderful. She was elegant and consistent again. We just love her."
In Popular Culture
Rafalca is referred to in 30 Rock.
- Phelps, Mary (14 March 2012). "Jan Ebeling and Ann Romney's Rafalca Reach New Heights to Represent the USA at the Reem/Acra World Cup Final in April". Dressage Daily. Retrieved 26 July 2012.
- Pilon, Mary (August 3, 2012). "A High-Profile Cheering Section for a Horse's Olympic Debut". The New York Times. p. B17. Retrieved August 3, 2012.
- Abcarian, Robin (August 2, 2012). "Ann Romney 'thrilled' by horse's performance in Olympics". Los Angeles Times. Retrieved August 3, 2012.
- Pilon, Mary (26 July 2012). "Behind a Gifted Horse, a Powerful Part-Owner". The New York Times. p. B12. Retrieved 26 July 2012.
- Nelson, Colleen McCain (18 June 2012). "Ann Romney's Horse Wins an Olympics Berth". The Wall Street Journal. Retrieved 26 July 2012.
- "Rafalca". SportHorse-Data. Retrieved 26 July 2012.
- Ebeling, Jan (3 April 2012). "Road To The Olympics: Jan Ebeling, Part 1". The Chronicle of the Horse. Retrieved 26 July 2012.
- Braddick, Kenneth J. (21 July 2012). "Jan Ebeling & Rafalca Training in "Bubble" Away from Distractions of Politics, Media". Dressage News. Retrieved 26 July 2012.
- Gabriel, Trip (June 17, 2012). "Romney Horse Wins Spot on Olympic Dressage Team". The New York Times. p. A19. Retrieved 7 August 2012.
- Freeman, Margaret; Winfield, Nicole (August 7, 2012). "Britain wins 1st Olympic team dressage medal: gold". San Francisco Chronicle. Associated Press. Retrieved August 7, 2012.
- Pilon, Mary (August 7, 2012). "Rafalca, Owned by Romney's Wife, Does Not Advance in Dressage". The New York Times. Retrieved August 7, 2012.
|This equine-related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|