Rafayel on the Left Bank
|Rafayel on the Left Bank|
Location within England
|Location||Battersea, London Borough of Wandsworth, London|
The four-floor eco hotel at Falcon Wharf, Battersea, in the London Borough of Wandsworth was converted from vacant offices in an early 2000s building and riverside engineered by George Wimpey and designed by architect James Burland. The 17-storey building is composed of a range of varied height part-blue-clad curved towers culminating in a right-angle end. The and is beside the River Thames, 100–m north of the London Heliport. At the 2006 What? House Awards, the Falcon Wharf complex was awarded the “Bronze” prize in the “Best Apartment Category”. In 2007 Falcon Wharf was joint winner at the British Home Awards in the category of “Apartment Building of the Year – 2007”.
Rafayel on the Left Bank comprises 65 bedrooms, conference facilities (with free use of an overhead projector), penthouse, spa, gym, moorings, restaurant, brasserie, champagne bar, bakery and florist. The hotel is insulated from the other use in the block by including a full plant level between the commercial and residential levels.
Sustainable development attributes
Its planned design was enhanced by owner Iqbal Latif with the intention of creating an environmentally sustainable 5-star hotel, a shuttle service to a Sloane Square tube station and ample cycle parking.
In partnership with companies such as Philips the hotel has installed energy-efficient lighting and air-conditioning systems and has eliminated the use of plastics. The hotel claims that these initiatives, when combined with rainwater harvesting, landscaping and other green systems, will reduce the carbon emission of each hotel room by 75% from the London average. 
- Website for Hotel Rafayel on the Left Bank
- Blog for Hotel Rafayel on the Left Bank
- Website of LATIS limited
- 'If you've got it, flaunt it...Style...bold building designs' Gwenda Brophy, The Telegraph, Property section.
- "What House Awards, 2006" What House - new homes portal and awards - Globespan Media group
- Falcon Wharf British Business Awards.
- Rafayel developer aims to recreate the spirit of the left bank with green hotel in Battersea Sleepermagazine.com
- "An Eco Hotel for London's New Left Bank hotelchatter.com
- Hotel Rafayel to open on London's left bank Businesstraveller.com
- The hotel opening hotel-blogs.com
- Planning Permission 2007/1908 - Report, 2007 - London Borough of Wandsworth.
- Tomorrow's world today rafayelshotel.blogspot.com (hotel's own blog)
- Rafayel on the Left Bank The Observer/Guardian architecture section, Stephen Bayley