|Rafetus swinhoei in Hanoi, Vietnam|
2 or 3, see text
Rafetus is a genus of highly endangered softshell turtles in the Trionychidae family. These large turtles are found in freshwater habitats in Asia. According to most taxonomists, the genus contains the following 2 species:
A third species, the Hoan Kiem turtle (Rafetus leloii, syn. R. vietnamensis), has been proposed as a species. It is considered a junior synonym of Rafetus swinhoei by most authorities, but some Vietnamese scientists insist the two forms are not identical. The last known individual at Hoan Kiem Lake was found dead on 19 January 2016.
As Walter G. Joyce, Ariel Revan, Tyler R. Lyson and Igor G. Danilov (2009)
- Rafetus euphraticus: had been found at Tigris and Euphrates Rivers in Iraq, Syria, Turkey, and Khūzestān Province of Iran. The International Union for Conservation of Nature rates it as Endangered.
- Rafetus swinhoei: Only three known living individuals, two in Chinese Zoos and another in Dong Mo, Vietnam. IUCN rates it as critically endangered. Fourth specimen found in Hoan Kiem Lake may be a distinct species.
- Farkas, B and Webb, R.G. 2003. Rafetus leloii Hà Dinh Dúc, 2000—an invalid species of softshell turtle from Hoan Kiem Lake, Hanoi, Vietnam (Reptilia, Testudines, Trionychidae). Zool. Abhandl. (Dresden), 53: 107-112.
- Walter G. Joyce; Ariel Revan; Tyler R. Lyson; Igor G. Danilov (2009). "Two New Plastomenine Softshell Turtles from the Paleocene of Montana and Wyoming" (PDF). Bulletin of the Peabody Museum of Natural History. 50 (2): 307–325. doi:10.3374/014.050.0202.
- European Reptile & Amphibian Specialist Group (1996). "Rafetus euphraticus". IUCN Red List of Threatened Species. Version 2010. International Union for Conservation of Nature.
- Buhlmann, K., Rhodin, A. & van Dijk, P.P. (Tortoise & Freshwater Turtle Red List Authority) (2000). "Rafetus swinhoei". IUCN Red List of Threatened Species. Version 2010. International Union for Conservation of Nature.
|Wikispecies has information related to Rafetus|
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Rafetus.|
- Gray, J. E. 1864 Revision of the species of Trionychidae found in Asia and Africa, with descriptions of some new species. Proc. Zool. Soc. London 1864: 76-98
|This article about a turtle is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|